Post-Game Talk: This team is horriawfulbad, Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Carolina(3) and Washington(2) have games at hand. The Jets need to start winning to make up for those games. This way when they go on their break they won't have to worry about Carolina or Washington overtaking them with those games at hand.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'm at a bit of a crossroads with this current lineup, to be honest.

On one hand, I fully appreciate that the talent on this squad is that of a bubble team. There's essentially one forward line, a defense corps that is on a whole offensively gifted but error prone, and a goaltender that is in the bottom half of starting netminders. With this in mind, we should probably be thrilled that we're even in a playoff race, let alone clinging to the division lead.

On the other hand, I haven't seen the Jets outclassed in either of their two recent losses. Rather, it seems there's a distinct inability for this group to raise their game to the requisite level when facing a team that is desperate and determined not to lose. Is it a failing of the leadership core? The coaching staff coming up short? Is it just plain old "puck luck"?

I honestly don't have an answer. The Jets playoff destiny is still in their hands, and despite all the weeping, moaning and gnashing of teeth I've seen here, I don't think it's that dire. But some way, somehow, this team has got to figure out a way to get the arrow pointed back upwards. Tomorrow in Long Island would be a fine time.

atl thrasher344

Believe in Blueland
Nov 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Who are they taking that precious time form? Exactly who do the Jets have to play in those slots? It's not like the team can go out to the backyard and shake the "hockey tree" for more players. And who would you suggest that the Jets should have signed last year? Do you think the team didn't try to sign some players? It's not like they're operating in a vacuum, for every player worth signing, there's 28 other teams looking to sign them as well.

Jeez, for some of you guys, it's just so frickin easy, isn't it? I coached and managed a team of 11 + 12 year olds, and THAT was a logistical nightmare. How do you think the Jets are doing it? Are they the only team that can't sign free agents? What if the Jets had signed Parise or traded for Richards and they produced like they are for their respective teams? You'd be calling for Chevy's head, and burning Chipman in effigy.

Huh? :help:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/2975/zach-parise

thed00d

Sep 29, 2010
Why do the Jets dress 12 forwards when 2 spend the game on the bench, shouldn't Noel have been dressing 7 D the last 3-4 games.

I said that in the GDT...I agree. I mean Cormier with 1:40 of playing time? Why not dress Kulda instead of Cormier?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Who are they taking that precious time form? Exactly who do the Jets have to play in those slots? It's not like the team can go out to the backyard and shake the "hockey tree" for more players. And who would you suggest that the Jets should have signed last year? Do you think the team didn't try to sign some players? It's not like they're operating in a vacuum, for every player worth signing, there's 28 other teams looking to sign them as well.

Jeez, for some of you guys, it's just so frickin easy, isn't it? I coached and managed a team of 11 + 12 year olds, and THAT was a logistical nightmare. How do you think the Jets are doing it? Are they the only team that can't sign free agents? What if the Jets had signed Parise or traded for Richards and they produced like they are for their respective teams? You'd be calling for Chevy's head, and burning Chipman in effigy.

This is basically what I tried to say in not so many words. It's just so easy to sign FAs and poach players from other teams according to the kneejerks around here.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver

Shake that nhl tree. Jets need some fresh top six forwards! :laugh:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Our goal for the next game should be getting through the first minute without getting scored on. Then take it a minute at a time after that...

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
If our 2nd line RW is going to be a black hole for offensive production we might as well give Burmi some confidence and play him there.

It doesn't take a genius to look at Burmi's stats and see he produces his best on a line with Evander Kane. Of his whopping 8 points this year half have been either scored by, assisted by or mutually assisted by Kane. Extend that back to last year, 14 of his 28.

Give him a legitimate shot in the top 6, not one game and then back to the fourth line. If there is one thing that derails development for young players it's not knowing what your role is. How do you expect a player to grow into a scoring line forward without letting him play as one.

Look at the example of Nazem Kadri, the Leafs knew they weren't able to give him top 6 minutes(a problem we actually don't have with our under-performing forwards) so they sent him to the AHL to play on the top line. They didn't play him on the 4th so he could learn to PK better.

I'll say it again, he has not performed up to par. But how can you expect him to? He plays with new linemates every 6 minutes of TOI and in a different role(checking vs scoring). Decide what to do with him, but for his sake be consistent with what you want from him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As mad as I am at this teams propensity to get down on themselves and give up I wont be going anywhere.

Did people really expect this team to suddenly get better upon arrival to WPG?

This was a poor team when we got them and there was no magic potion that was going to instantly turn the team around.

Having said that I think management needs to decide fully what direction they want to go this summer. If its to go young then it might be a good idea to move a player like Buff for a few good young pieces. I'm fine keeping the rest of the core.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
LoL
Blaming Noel
Tough to be a great coach when you dont have talent to coach

Noel would be a great coach for a team that needs tweaks, or reminders. He'd be great for someone like Boston. He could juggle lines, make the little moves... but for a team like this, they need serious direction and a system. A system that is obviously lacking in so many ways I could write a wall of unnecessary text on it.

When you lead the league in a stat like shots that miss the net, that is saying a lot.

I do like Noel a lot. But while this team has such a level of mediocrity it needs a real system to rely on, not this street hockey stuff.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Is my optimism misplaced in pointing out that Carolina got waxed 4-1 by Montreal, and the Jets are still about 50-50 (47%-ish) to make the playoffs according to Sports Club Stats.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
If our 2nd line RW is going to be a black hole for offensive production we might as well give Burmi some confidence and play him there.

It doesn't take a genius to look at Burmi's stats and see he produces his best on a line with Evander Kane. Of his whopping 8 points this year half have been either scored by, assisted by or mutually assisted by Kane. Extend that back to last year, 14 of his 28.

Give him a legitimate shot in the top 6, not one game and then back to the fourth line. If there is one thing that derails development for young players it's not knowing what your role is. How do you expect a player to grow into a scoring line forward without letting him play as one.

Look at the example of Nazem Kadri, the Leafs knew they weren't able to give him top 6 minutes(a problem we actually don't have with our under-performing forwards) so they sent him to the AHL to play on the top line. They didn't play him on the 4th so he could learn to PK better.

I'll say it again, he has not performed up to par. But how can you expect him to? He plays with new linemates every 6 minutes of TOI and in a different role(checking vs scoring). Decide what to do with him, but for his sake be consistent with what you want from him.

It's because he's in Noels doghouse, I completely agree that the team is wasting him playing with guys like Thorburn though. How Tangradi is STILL on the third line is mind boggling, he is a terrible hockey player and he brings down that Wellwood-Antropov pairing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
LoL
Blaming Noel
Tough to be a great coach when you dont have talent to coach

While he doesn't have the best talent to work with, he most certainly isn't able to get the best out of it like Maclean in Ottawa for instance.

He needs to learn to trust players, he has a horrendous time trusting them and as such he effectively short hands our team every game by playing 4 d and 9 forwards for most of the game.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
As mad as I am at this teams propensity to get down on themselves and give up I wont be going anywhere.

Did people really expect this team to suddenly get better upon arrival to WPG?

This was a poor team when we got them and there was no magic potion that was going to instantly turn the team around.

Having said that I think management needs to decide fully what direction they want to go this summer. If its to go young then it might be a good idea to move a player like Buff for a few good young pieces. I'm fine keeping the rest of the core.

Chevy has never been shy in expressing his direction for the team, which is why he hasn't made too many moves except to fill the plugs.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The funny thing is so many people forget what the Jets 1.0 were like. This current crop may be losing games, but we aren't losing 8-1 like the good old days. We are competitive in most games and only losing by a goal or two. We are losing because of lack of talent more than because of lack of effort. I won't get concerned until we start getting blown out every game.

Puckschmuck*

Is my optimism misplaced in pointing out that Carolina got waxed 4-1 by Montreal, and the Jets are still about 50-50 (47%-ish) to make the playoffs according to Sports Club Stats.

No, and stop providing us with optimism and hope, dammit! ;)

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Lets see any coach have success with 4 top 6 forward, 4 NHL D man team.

You know what part of his body a bad dancer blames right? ;)

Nobody forced him to play Clitsome as top pair D, nobody forced him to play 3 lines, nobody forced him to play Pavelec so much, nobody forced him to let Jokinen play same way he pays for so long, nobody's fault he has no influence on his team so he tries to bully kids (aka doghouse) to create an illusion of "I'm a boss" it's nobody's fault he never argues a call even when it's super bad call, it's not by mistake he looks like most miserable man on the planet and for sure it's nobody's fault he has only one way of playing so it will take little tweaks to an opposite team to adjust

But I guess one can always agree that he doesn't have enough talent on a team, but his approach and game understanding is still very-very poor.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
It's because he's in Noels doghouse, I completely agree that the team is wasting him playing with guys like Thorburn though. How Tangradi is STILL on the third line is mind boggling, he is a terrible hockey player and he brings down that Wellwood-Antropov pairing.

I believe Noel has brow beaten the creativity out of him. They should trade him. He'll probably not get a real shot on this team, he seems to be in Noel's doghouse VERY easily. Meanwhile the 'Stallion' can throw half a dozen pizza's up a night and still get 24 mins a game. It's something I struggle to understand.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
While he doesn't have the best talent to work with, he most certainly isn't able to get the best out of it like Maclean in Ottawa for instance.

He needs to learn to trust players, he has a horrendous time trusting them and as such he effectively short hands our team every game by playing 4 d and 9 forwards for most of the game.

There is always exceptions to the rule thats why I said it's tough but not impossible, but Ottawa is way deeper then we are.

Last edited:

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I believe Noel has brow beaten the creativity out of him. They should trade him. He'll probably not get a real shot on this team, he seems to be in Noel's doghouse VERY easily. Meanwhile the 'Stallion' can throw half a dozen pizza's up a night and still get 24 mins a game. It's something I struggle to understand.

Worthwhile re-stating the bolded.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Rangers played with heart & hunger.

The Jets need to start playing the full 60minutes like they actually want to make the playoffs. :shakehead

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
There is always exceptions to the rule, but Ottawa is way deeper then we are.

For goaltending alone, if nothing else. It's a lot easier to coach when you just keep pulling amazing goalies out of thin air.

I guess I'll continue my nattering optimism to point out that Claude Noel has still not had one complete offseason with the team under his belt. I know that no team had a really effective offseason, but for a young team with a rookie NHL coach, that works mostly to our disadvantage.

No, and stop providing us with optimism and hope, dammit! ;)

I can't help it, it's what I do as the new guy here. I liken it to my initiation process. I'm sure in time I'll be able to join the jaded faces on this emotional Mount Rushmore. But for now, I gotta do what I gotta do :P

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Beyak sure hung up on that save on Little, it was a good save but Beyak sounds like it was the save of the century. Not scoring on the 5 on 3, SHG and squandering 5 PP chances cost us the game.

This is the reason we lost, nothing else. Lack of scoring on the PP defeated the Jets mentally, then the passing drill and losing the puck for the SHG was the mighty kick to the nuts.

I am pissed that they keep trying to do the same **** on the PP...IT DOES NOT WORK...GET A NEW PLAN...wait, I have one...SHOOT THE MOTHER ****ING PUCK, YOU ****ING RUBBERNECKS.

Too many passes, get it on the net, make it greasy.

OK...rant over.

Feel better now, not really...but I have vented.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is always exceptions to the rule, but Ottawa is way deeper then we are.

Yes as an organization they do an excellent job with its player development but look at that roster.

Are Zach Smith, O'Brien, Wierchoch, Gyrba Greening better players then our bottom six? I personally doubt it, but Maclean has everyone playing well defined roles. \

He is completely opposite of Noel, he plays his players in roles that they are meant to play and only move them out when its not working out. He trusts his youngsters right off the bat and doesn't make them earn there way up from the 4th line. He gets it, I don't think Noel does.

Look at the contrast between how Noel handled Scheifele vs the way MaClean has handled Z. Z went right to the 2nd line while Scheifele got miscast on the bottem 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad