Post-Game Talk: This team is horriawfulbad, Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Yes as an organization they do an excellent job with its player development but look at that roster.

Are Zach Smith, O'Brien, Wierchoch, Gyrba Greening better players then our bottom six? I personally doubt it, but Maclean has everyone playing well defined roles. \

He is completely opposite of Noel, he plays his players in roles that they are meant to play and only move them out when its not working out. He trusts his youngsters right off the bat and doesn't make them earn there way up from the 4th line. He gets it, I don't think Noel does.

Look at the contrast between how Noel handled Scheifele vs the way MaClean has handled Z. Z went right to the 2nd line while Scheifele got miscast on the bottem 6.

I really agree with you here, surixon. It's all about including everyone (to a certain extent, of course) and forming, bringing together, and bonding a team. Not just off the ice as "good guys" but on the ice as a team.

I think you made a great point earlier, Noel has a very difficult time trusting players. For a team like ours, that is really no good.

I don't know if it is a Noel issue, a player issue, something Chevy needs to address, etc.. but I feel a big part of this teams inconsistencies stem from the lack of being a team ON the ice. We may have a great group of guys in the room and off the ice, but we're so inconsistent in coming together and playing like a TEAM, like a cohesive unit, on the ice.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Geeze, I didn't think we played that bad. We're just running into those things that happen to middle of the road teams with, you know, average talent. Some good bounces and you win games, you don't get any and you lose. We aren't lacking hear, we're lacking a power play. Even that is showing signs of improvement but no results yet.

Last edited:

Puckschmuck*

I don't know if it is a Noel issue, a player issue, something Chevy needs to address, etc.. but I feel a big part of this teams inconsistencies stem from the lack of being a team ON the ice. We may have a great group of guys in the room and off the ice, but we're so inconsistent in coming together and playing like a TEAM, like a cohesive unit, on the ice.

Agreed 1000%. I've been saying this all along. Once this gets figured out, I think things will improve dramatically on ice.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
This NHL tree meme is really quite ridiculous. Top 6-8 forwards currently on the trading block:

- Mike Cammelleri
- Jason Pominville
- Dreq Stafford
- Derek Roy
- Jaromir Jagr
- Mike Ribeiro
- Danny Briere
- Paul Statsny
- Matt Read
- Steve Ott

I doubt he gets traded. Although I heard somewhere that the Caps offered him a 3 year deal and he turned it down so you never know.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Okay then what is the golden answer for a waiver-wire Grant Clitsome getting top-pairing time, Antti Miettinen getting top 6 time, Eric Tangradi doing nothing and getting 10-15 minutes per game?

With decisions like that how can you blame people for wishing that Mark Scheifele was playing on this team? He's clearly a class above in the OHL.

Because he's playing against 16-year olds. And there are players 'a class above' in the OHL even though they're not draft-worthy; because they dominate younger players.

Scheif had 11 games here and 1 point, playing maybe 12 minutes per game. He wasn't ready, still isn't quite ready, and any assertation that he would have been the 'solution' is just hindsight and wishful thinking. He'll be ready when he's ready.

Thrash management got crapped on all the time for 'rushing' Burmi. Now the Jets management gets crapped on for not 'rushing' Sheif who was a non-factor in his regular season games, getting pushed around like he pushes around the 16-year olds he dominates.

Not to mention the Couturier fanclub. Geez so easy to be an armchair GM isn't it.

Can't win either way, can they.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Geeze, I didn't think we played that bad. We're just running into those things that happen to middle of the road teams with, you know, average talent. Some good bounces and you win games, you don't get any and you lose. We aren't lacking hear, we're lacking a power play. Even that is showing signs of improvement but no results yet.

I don't mind scoring on the power play so much as at least be a threat. They directed 0 shots on net on that 5-on-3 and gave up a shorty.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Perhaps PA Parenteau spurned the Jets? Perhaps Jokinen was the only player that responded positively? We have no idea who Chevaldayoff contacted, nor would he divulge that information.

And Scheifele wasn't able to play effectively on the third line playing some sheltered shifts - he wouldn't be playing any better than the bottom 3 or 4 players at this point, and then you'd all be screaming that the Jets shouldn't have rushed him.

Can't. Frickin'. Win.

You might have to go walk your dogs again because this is another ridiculous statement. You mean Scheifele wasn't able to produce playing the wing (he's a center) on the 4th line getting 9 minutes a night with Chris Thorburn? Look at the minutes / opportunities Hubredeau, Hamilton, Galchenyuk, Couturiere, Yakupov, Gallagher, Saad, Tarasenko, Conacher, Zibenejad, Silfverberg, and Foligno are getting. And then ask yourself how much better they'd have done with the role Scheifele was given.

dcypher

Feb 7, 2013
Sometimes I think coach Noel is either waiting super patiently for players to step up to their potential (seems like when they feel like it) and or waiting for Chevy to get players via trade, new signings etc. to execute the "master plan" so to speak for the flow of the team. That's why we get the funky line combinations for now and the weird situations during games. While I question what Claude does from time to time, you can definitely see he has no quit in himself nor his squad.

I'm sure the Coach and Management KNOW who don't want to be here. How I feel about this team personally... we have 60-70% of the tools so far to get the job done and I see how it reflects our record and play. It hasn't been a bad season at all. This one if anything, show us who is going to either be here or gone next year.

Nothing is set in stone for this team yet. When it does, oh man we'll definitely be a force.

So for the game that happened today. It's really crappy we're somewhat in a mini slump for now. I'm sure they'll bounce back.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
As a side note did anyone notice how close Buff got to taking a slapshot in the melon at the end of the game?

One thing I didn't understand is a caller in the post game show called in quite irate at the Ranger player for attempting a slapshot... towards Buff.

I'm not sure what to expect, I mean people stand in front of slapshots (even friendly slap shots with hopes of deflection). That being said I think Buff was lucky to not get wacked in the head on that one.

bazaaa*

A
I'm not sure what to expect, I mean people stand in front of slapshots (even friendly slap shots with hopes of deflection). That being said I think Buff was lucky to not get wacked in the head on that one.

Uhhh, that's not the point...

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I guess you chose to ignore my next post

No just hadn't seen it and then had to go before finishing reading the thread.

Not that I would ever want Tippett as coach. I would surely die of boredom watching his teams night after night. However he is one of those guys who can make something out of nothing and I don't think Noel is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You might have to go walk your dogs again because this is another ridiculous statement. You mean Scheifele wasn't able to produce playing the wing (he's a center) on the 4th line getting 9 minutes a night with Chris Thorburn? Look at the minutes / opportunities Hubredeau, Hamilton, Galchenyuk, Couturiere, Yakupov, Gallagher, Saad, Tarasenko, Conacher, Zibenejad, Silfverberg, and Foligno are getting. And then ask yourself how much better they'd have done with the role Scheifele was given.

Yup and the one period that Mark got to play his natural positon in a top 6 role he looked night and day better then he did playing wing on the 4th line. Go figure!

Not upset he's down, but the team wasted an opportunity to really get a good look at him in the top 6 when he was up.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
Uhhh, that's not the point...

Uhhh, enlighten me.

I thought the point was, if you stand in front of the net, there is a very realistic chance that you might be on the receiving end of a slapshot. Am I missing something?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
As a side note did anyone notice how close Buff got to taking a slapshot in the melon at the end of the game?

One thing I didn't understand is a caller in the post game show called in quite irate at the Ranger player for attempting a slapshot... towards Buff.

I didnt like that slap shot really.. I felt like he could of taken a accurate rist shot and scored and didnt need to take a big slap shot at a d man standing in net... :dunno:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007

But let's say you put yourself in management shoes, 5 games into the season. No future vision available. Who is Scheif going to replace as C on the other three lines? He's not going to replace Little on the LLW line. He's not going to replace Jokinen who put up 60 pts last season and was just signed for a bajillion dollars. And he's not going replace a proven (though maligned) veteran like Antro. Remember we're 5 games in. Jets are 3-1-1 and things are good. No need to move Sheif up to wing a top-9 line.

So it's 4th line C or back to Barrie.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'd rather the Jets play like they're trying to win instead of the half-hearted efforts we've been treated to the past few games.

No kidding, if the Jets don't make the post season I think they can look back at the Capitals and Canes home ice losses as the downward turning point.

What ticks me the most with this team is their lack of fight and intensity mostly on the forward positions but including Buff.

Have to agree with some of the guys who say that Kane should have had new line mates about 10 games ago. Wellwood Antro, Antro Burmi, Antro O'Dell, O'Dell Burmi, whoever..

DominikPavelec

Mar 8, 2013
Winnipeg
Welcome to the final stretch guys. Teams play their hearts out for those final points and we're going to be playing games like this for the rest of the season. We're going to lose games like these too because we can't win them all, but our team has to step up because we can't be dropping 3 in a row.

Our powerplay also has to improve and our coaches are beyond insane for sticking Joker on the point. What do they see in him?!

bazaaa*

Uhhh, enlighten me.

I thought the point was, if you stand in front of the net, there is a very realistic chance that you might be on the receiving end of a slapshot. Am I missing something?

The point is you take a 85mph+ slapshot to beat the goaltender when he's in net, not a defenseman standing there and it's a 3 on 1.
Really?

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
I didnt like that slap shot really.. I felt like he could of taken a accurate rist shot and scored and didnt need to take a big slap shot at a d man standing in net... :dunno:

Personally, I probably would not have taken a slapshot myself, but that's me. I would have to assume my opponent would though.

Actually my point was how brutal it would have been... for everyone if Buff actually caught that one in the head.

DominikPavelec

Mar 8, 2013
Winnipeg
Personally, I probably would not have taken a slapshot myself, but that's me. I would have to assume my opponent would though.

Actually my point was how brutal it would have been... for everyone if Buff actually caught that one in the head.

It would have been a bad accident. The shot was deflected and there's no way the Ranger player would have wanted to hit Buff in the head and seriously injure him over a free goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad