This is one of the best Art Ross/Rocket Richard races in a long time

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Really? His team is stacked and he is not the best player in the league.

It's the most valuable to his team not MVP of the league. Scheifele has been out since December 27. Wheeler slotted to center as an experiment the next game. 12-2-3 since, second best record in the league just barely behind Boston.

If that's not most valuable to his team, I don't know what is.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I really hope McDavid wins it.

I have a few threads bookmarked from posters (the usual suspects) who bash McDavid constantly and have been saying all year how he won't come close to the art ross trophy.

That's quite the exciting life you lead.

Reactions: 7even

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You still going on about how McDavid's season is disappointing? Sure were quiet after his 5 point night.

I mean, I can understand how @Frosty415 saving some of your outlandish posts about McDavid would be embarrassing for you though.
At least it looks like it's sinking in how he's going to look by the end of the year

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You still going on about how McDavid's season is disappointing? Sure were quiet after his 5 point night.

I mean, I can understand how @Frosty415 saving some of your outlandish posts about McDavid would be embarrassing for you though.

Love to see those outlandish posts you are referring to. You McDavid fans are so freaking hypersensitive, pointing out McDavid's current scoring placing is considered outlandish.

TRIGGER ALERT!!!

McDavid is 3rd in scoring.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If McDavid ends up 3rd in the scoring race that's quite a rare of an accomplishment for a 3rd year player :clap:

Not an awful lot of players in the history of the game can claim consecutive top three finishes in the scoring race. Let alone in their first two full years :nod:

Now if he happened to win the scoring race then he'd do something even more special and join the half a dozen of players in history to win it consecutively. At 21, in his first two seasons! :naughty:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If McDavid ends up 3rd in the scoring race that's quite a rare of an accomplishment for a 3rd year player :clap:

Not an awful lot of players in the history of the game can claim consecutive top three finishes in the scoring race. Let alone in their first two full years :nod:

Now if he happened to win the scoring race then he'd do something even more special and join the half a dozen of players in history to win it consecutively. At 21, in his first two seasons! :naughty:

I assume you include Crosby in this group?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I assume you include Crosby in this group?
Of course. The undisputable best player of his generation, who McDavid has been compared to a lot.

It's fair to say that if the expectation is that McDavid = Crosby, then it should be expected that he is top three in scoring when he's healthy. Crosby's average point finish in his healthy seasons is 2.14 and average points per game in seasons with at least half of the games is 1.78.

McDavid is on pace to finish 2nd in points and is 5th in points per game. That would make his average in points 1.5 and points per game 3.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Agreed. It's nice to see so many of the guys who have been consistent top players the last decade, still be there today. Guess they all don't fall off a cliff at age 27. Getzlaf too would be there if not injured. Lots of the "old guard".

Seems like only Nick Backstrom is missing.

I really think we are seeing a lengthening of primes vs historical context with better nutrition workouts etc.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
McDavid has games in hand too. A tie for Crosby in points won't land him the AR due to his low total in goals. He'd need to win it outright.

I don't see him winning it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau carrying his teams entire offense?

Story has been the same ever since he entered the league. 5th in ESP since he became a Flame despite playing for a fairly weak offensive team, forced to play large stretches with 4th line scrubs.

Fun fact. He's now passed Sean Monahan in career points despite playing 86 less games (an entire season) while playing alongside him almost the entire time. Not easy to do.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Story has been the same ever since he entered the league. 5th in ESP since he became a Flame despite playing for a fairly weak offensive team, forced to play large stretches with 4th line scrubs.

Fun fact. He's now passed Sean Monahan in career points despite playing 86 less games (an entire season) while playing alongside him almost the entire time. Not easy to do.

Two more points so far tonight.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Gaudreau carrying his teams entire offense?

No he has Monahan...if you want to see carrying a teams offense.

Eichel -53 pts

next best player

O'Reilly 37 pts. And they don't even play together like say a Draisaitl-McDavid (2 centres who SOMETIMES do)

Not too mention the team barely scores if he's not on the ice.

And on the lowest scoring team.

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I love Gaudreau as much as the next Flames fan, but claiming he's carrying the team's offence when he's on a line with Monahan and there's a whole other excellent line on the team (3M), albeit one plagued by low shooting percentages this season, is ridiculous.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
It's also deep in the sense there are guys in the 40's and 50's that can still make big strides.

I would want to know where Jaden Schwartz, Brad Marchand and Ryan Getlzaf wuld be if they didn't get hurt. All are producing well over a point per game which suggests all three would be in the top ten right now if not top five.

You can't bet against Sid, McDavid, and Malkin, arguably the three best players in the NHL.

Stamkos, Tavares, Kucherov, Kopitar, Kessel, Wheeler (UNDERRATED) should all be close.

Johnny Gaudreau is insane but for some reason he's a guy I just ..I don't know, I think he goes cold for awhile but then I look and he's right there. HE should finish top 15-20 for sure.
Lock for top 10. Likely top 5

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would be really cool to see Malkin win the Art Ross again personally, it would be a nice extra middle finger to the people who left him off the top-100 player list.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
McDavid with another 2 point night last night. He is heating up. This may be over by game 65 let alone 80.
Tied with Gaudreau. Who is half the price.

I think Connor wins it this year. Johnny finishes top 5-8. But, at a 6 mil discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad