This is one of the best Art Ross/Rocket Richard races in a long time

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Look at the ages of the top 16 guys....12 of them are 27 years old and older.

I guess there is still a place for all those guys on big UFA contracts.

Side note, Giroux has now tied last years point totals. We told you he was playing with an injury. Nice healthy bounce back.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Look at the ages of the top 16 guys....12 of them are 27 years old and older.

I guess there is still a place for all those guys on big UFA contracts.

Funny how the older generation has bounced back this year . . . Kucherov, Gaudreau, MacKinnon, McDavid are the only young guys up there, after a season where it looked as if there was going to be a changing of the guard...

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
Surprised so many are overlooking Gaudreau. I am not quite sure if he would win but he has been in the Top 10 all season. If he gets hot, I wouldn't count him out.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Funny how the older generation has bounced back this year . . . Kucherov, Gaudreau, MacKinnon, McDavid are the only young guys up there, after a season where it looked as if there was going to be a changing of the guard...
Agreed. It's nice to see so many of the guys who have been consistent top players the last decade, still be there today. Guess they all don't fall off a cliff at age 27. Getzlaf too would be there if not injured. Lots of the "old guard".

Seems like only Nick Backstrom is missing.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
What's the cutoff for a young player? I'd say 25 is the last year a player is "young" 26-28 a player is middle aged

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
IMO Kucherov, Malkin and McDavid have the best chances of winning Art Ross

If Crosby keeps getting assists like the one he got on Guentzal's goal last night, the Art Ross is in the bag for him. ;)

The biggest surprise I have season is how many players are still at or over a PPG compared to this time last season. 25 players as of today, David Perron is a PPG player for gods sake. :amazed:

Last season on this date there were 8 players.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What a turnaround for kessel and his career. He was still a top 10 scorer in Toronto but you can just tell the freedom he has in Pittsburgh now

I dont know if its freedom or just a better team overall.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I dont know if its freedom or just a better team overall.

Or maybe it is just not having to be the man who has to score or the main focus of the media when the team is playing bad.

He is a fan favorite but basically an afterthought for the media. He could have a garbage season and no one in Pittsburgh would care.

Reactions: Ageless

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Or maybe it is just not having to be the man who has to score or the main focus of the media when the team is playing bad.

He is a fan favorite but basically an afterthought for the media. He could have a garbage season and no one in Pittsburgh would care.

Ah freedom from fishbowl environment. I thought freedom on ice because iirc, Kessel was Leafs offense back then

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
I don't think he is the best player in the league but comeon. He is 5 points away from 1st and has been in the Top 10 for most of the season. I sense a bit of bias here but to each their own opinion.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'd be surprised if it hadn't been happening his whole career. But people love to bet against him for some reason.

Bet against him in the art Ross race? I mean - why wouldn't we?

He's never won yet nor even placed all that high. As good as he is so far this year - Kucherov and Mack are ahead as guys with also a weak art Ross track record.
McDavid Malkin and Crosby and Ovi and even Tavares have more of an art Ross track record and as such are likely seen as bigger threats in general.

If Gaudreau wins this year (or say - finishes at 95+ points without winning) I guarantee you in upcoming years he'll be taken a lot more seriously as a threat.

No need to always play the victim card with Gaudreau...

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
Gaudreau has the 7th most amount of points in the league since the start of the 2015 season (2014 was his first season and he was tied for 1st in points among all rookies)... This isn't just a random blip for him.

I do hope he finishes with 90+ points and earns more respect around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sk8M8

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Haven't seen Malkin this hot for a while. He's been prone to injury over the years. If he stays healthy, watch out!
No need for him to get injured for the final 30 games to be fresh for playoffs this year?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I really think it will be Kessel. For one, the man doesn't miss games (looking in Malkin's direction). For another, the powerplay is so dominant and has always been at it's best when Phil has the puck often.

Someone forgot to flip off playoff mode over the summer.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Malkin is playing in full god mode right now. I have a feeling it'll be a race to the finish between him, kucherov, and Kessel, with Malkin coming out on top in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad