This is one of the best Art Ross/Rocket Richard races in a long time

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby has slowed a bit and Malkin has come on very very strong lately.

I hope it's a race to the finish. I hope Malkin keeps going and Crosby comes on strong
I hope Kessel keeps pace and then some
And I hope McDavid does what he did last year or more
And win or lose - I hope kucherov remains hot. I want him to lose because others do that much more not because he slows down and by virtue of that gets passed.

Could be one of the most exciting races to the scoring championship of all time

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Gaudreau has the 7th most amount of points in the league since the start of the 2015 season (2014 was his first season and he was tied for 1st in points among all rookies)... This isn't just a random blip for him.

I do hope he finishes with 90+ points and earns more respect around here.

Respect for what? He is one of the most 1 dimentional wingers in the league (Great at that to be honest) and had a meh season last year, not to mention Invis in playoffs last year. He cheats for offence in every game he plays. He is what he is.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bet against him in the art Ross race? I mean - why wouldn't we?

He's never won yet nor even placed all that high. As good as he is so far this year - Kucherov and Mack are ahead as guys with also a weak art Ross track record.
McDavid Malkin and Crosby and Ovi and even Tavares have more of an art Ross track record and as such are likely seen as bigger threats in general.

If Gaudreau wins this year (or say - finishes at 95+ points without winning) I guarantee you in upcoming years he'll be taken a lot more seriously as a threat.

No need to always play the victim card with Gaudreau...

He finished 6th in scoring as a 22 year old on a bottom feeder. He's 7th in points over the last 3 seasons, 4th in ES points.

I see no reason for him not to be taken seriously, aside from bias.

Reactions: Sk8M8

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He finished 6th in scoring as a 22 year old on a bottom feeder. He's 7th in points over the last 3 seasons, 4th in ES points.

All the players i mentioned have a better art Ross record.

No bias needed just facts

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Respect for what? He is one of the most 1 dimentional wingers in the league (Great at that to be honest) and had a meh season last year, not to mention Invis in playoffs last year. He cheats for offence in every game he plays. He is what he is.

He's so one dimensional he leads all flames forwards in +/- since he entered the league.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Penguins Powerplay is scoring over 35% since Jan. 1 2018.

-If this powerplay continues, All 3 Penguins will be ranked in the Top 3 for Art Ross

Reactions: Ageless

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm really expecting a late season surge for the Oilers, with McDavid leading the charge. To me he's still the most likely to take it.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

He has a Hall/Kessel level track record. They weren't taken seriously as potential Art Ross winners either.

And Johnny won't be considered a favorite until he does it.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
-Penguins Powerplay is scoring over 35% since Jan. 1 2018.

-If this powerplay continues, All 3 Penguins will be ranked in the Top 3 for Art Ross

Don't worry it won't. Haha

Counting on a PP running at 35% is the definition of unsustainable.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Does he also lead them in points? Lol. Not sure you know how Plus/Minus works.

Let's see . . At even strength, he's on the ice for more goals for than goals against by a margin.

Are you implying that a team's top point producer should by default be their best player in terms of +/-?

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Ovechkin will pull away shortly. It's that time of the year for him. Hands down greatest goal scorer in NHL history and still doing what he does. I can see him scoring at this pace into his late 30s. What he does doesn't really involve a lot of speed (which he's lost since he was younger) it's pure power, shot volume and shot strength. He's gonna be at it for quite awhile if he doesn't decide to retire early. People scoff at the chance of him breaking 99's goal record...I think it's still very doable.

No he is not hands downthe greatest goal scorer in NHL history. Why? He simply doesnt have the highest peak(even if it's damn high) and a lacking play-off record. He is however in the discussion and Id agree he probably takes this years Richard aswell, that's more because of the oppostion than himself though.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Marchand first in points/g at 1.32. Ovy in goals/g at 0.60 with Malkin right behind 0.59.

My Best-Carey

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Don't worry it won't. Haha

Counting on a PP running at 35% is the definition of unsustainable.

Agreed. But its been at better than 25% most of the season. The sample is relatively small but outside of injuries (which for the Pens is entirely possible), I dont see that dipping much between now and game 82.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Let's see . . At even strength, he's on the ice for more goals for than goals against by a margin.

Are you implying that a team's top point producer should by default be their best player in terms of +/-?
If the team is a + team at even strength yes absolutely he should.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
No he is not hands downthe greatest goal scorer in NHL history. Why? He simply doesnt have the highest peak(even if it's damn high) and a lacking play-off record. He is however in the discussion and Id agree he probably takes this years Richard aswell, that's more because of the oppostion than himself though.

Who do you take before him in this list :

Gretzky
M. Lemieux
M. Richard
Hull Sr
Bossy
Hull Jr
Malone
Iginla

I only take the first four but even then Im not sure. Imo prime Ovie was exactly what the legendary Rocket is praised for. A player of pure strength, speed and skill that can score almost whenever he wants to.

65 goals in this era when you have goalies posting numbers over .920 is madness.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Crosby has slowed a bit and Malkin has come on very very strong lately.

I hope it's a race to the finish. I hope Malkin keeps going and Crosby comes on strong
I hope Kessel keeps pace and then some
And I hope McDavid does what he did last year or more
And win or lose - I hope kucherov remains hot. I want him to lose because others do that much more not because he slows down and by virtue of that gets passed.

Could be one of the most exciting races to the scoring championship of all time

How's he slowed a bit? he has the 2nd most points(1 behind Malkin) since Janurary 1st and has points in all games except 1.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Who do you take before him in this list :

Gretzky
M. Lemieux
M. Richard
Hull Sr
Bossy
Hull Jr
Malone
Iginla

I only take the first four but even then Im not sure. Imo prime Ovie was exactly what the legendary Rocket is praised for. A player of pure strength, speed and skill that can score almost whenever he wants to.

65 goals in this era when you have goalies posting numbers over .920 is madness.

-To answer this correctly, when Wayne was at his peak in the early 80's, the NHL was averaging 4 goals per game every game. In the last 10 seasons currently, the average NHL goals per game has been below 2.8 in 8 out of the last 10 years, so scoring for the entire league is way down in comparison to when Wayne was putting up his video game numbers.

-In the 90's those numbers went from 3.46 all the way to the low of 2.63. That was the worst scoring the NHL has seen occurred in the mid to late 90's and the last 7 seasons in the NHL.

-So Lemieux put up 85 goals in 89, 69 in 93, 69 in 96, and 50 in 97. That's with cancer and a herniated disc in his back.

-In 6 years after 1996, Jagr scored at least 44 per year with a high of 62.

-Selanne broke 50 4 different times with a high of 75. Bure was at 58+ 4 different times.

-Difference is Ovi has been almost injury free his entire career whether that is lucky or whatever the reason. One of the best goal scorers ever? Yes. Better then the 4 players I mentioned, No. Better than the old timers when you could shoot and score a basketball in the net with ease because it was ridiculously easy to score in the late 70's and 80's when Wayne peaked? Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->