This is one of the best Art Ross/Rocket Richard races in a long time

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Art Ross:

The gap between 1st and 13th place is only 8 points. The gap between 1st and 5th is only 4 POINTS. The chances of Kuch losing out on the Ross is HIGHLY likely as Malkin HAS BEEN ON FIREEEEEEEE. We cannot dismiss the 3 way tie between MacKinnon, McDavid, and Johnny hockey who are all tied up with 61 points. Crosby has crept back up in the top ten, there is a 3 way tie between OV, Giroux, and Wheeler, so we cannot dismiss them.

Rocket Richard

The gap between 1st and 10th is only 7 goals, with a 4 way tie for 4th place of 27 goals. The aforementioned Malkin has been on FIRE and is only 2 goals back of OV. William Karlsson is the surprise of the year with 28 goals so far. It is not out go the realm of possibility that any of the top 10 can go on a hot streak, which makes for an even more exciting race!

Thoughts?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not everyone forgets Phil Kessel

146d33346e03e788a3a488f9ad5060ae.png

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Kucherov is barely on pace for 100 points, Ovechkin is barely on pace for 50 goals.
Looks pretty likely that this season will be the first one in forever without either a 50-goal or a 100-point player, and that's despite an increase in scoring. Sad.

Also, close races usually end up with the luckier guy, and not the better guy winning an award. And then a few years down the road everyone wants to put an asterisk on it (MSL Art Ross in 12/13 or Benn's Art Ross in 14/15 or Crosby's Richard last year are good examples of that).

I would much rather witness a historic performance by someone. If it can be complemented by an equally good performance by another guy, it is even better (e.g., Thornton vs Jagr in 05/06).
10 folks at the top having a meh season by historical standards... not my thing.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It's also deep in the sense there are guys in the 40's and 50's that can still make big strides.

I would want to know where Jaden Schwartz, Brad Marchand and Ryan Getlzaf wuld be if they didn't get hurt. All are producing well over a point per game which suggests all three would be in the top ten right now if not top five.

You can't bet against Sid, McDavid, and Malkin, arguably the three best players in the NHL.

Stamkos, Tavares, Kucherov, Kopitar, Kessel, Wheeler (UNDERRATED) should all be close.

Johnny Gaudreau is insane but for some reason he's a guy I just ..I don't know, I think he goes cold for awhile but then I look and he's right there. HE should finish top 15-20 for sure.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Gonna be a tight race for sure. McDavid would probably be the odds favourite at the moment, but not overly so. Anyone in the top 10 really could take it.

member 116861

Not sure why MacKinnon was mentioned, he is out of the race.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Ovechkin will pull away shortly. It's that time of the year for him. Hands down greatest goal scorer in NHL history and still doing what he does. I can see him scoring at this pace into his late 30s. What he does doesn't really involve a lot of speed (which he's lost since he was younger) it's pure power, shot volume and shot strength. He's gonna be at it for quite awhile if he doesn't decide to retire early. People scoff at the chance of him breaking 99's goal record...I think it's still very doable.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Art Ross:

The gap between 1st and 13th place is only 8 points. The gap between 1st and 5th is only 4 POINTS. The chances of Kuch losing out on the Ross is HIGHLY likely as Malkin HAS BEEN ON FIREEEEEEEE. We cannot dismiss the 3 way tie between MacKinnon, McDavid, and Johnny hockey who are all tied up with 61 points. Crosby has crept back up in the top ten, there is a 3 way tie between OV, Giroux, and Wheeler, so we cannot dismiss them.
I think Malkin smells it and if healthy overtakes Kucherov but I think the trade deadline will have a big voice in this race

---FYI, when they fix Gaudreau's stats he'll have 62 points, he got the goal tonight credited to Stone and had 3 points.

Reactions: Casanova

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Haven't seen Malkin this hot for a while. He's been prone to injury over the years. If he stays healthy, watch out!

Last year he was very good too, than got injured as always since 2012. Had still 72 points in 62 games.

When Malkin is healthy he is always a threat for the Art Ross.

Reactions: KIRK and Wings4Life

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Top 10 in terms of how many points they are on pace to finish accounting for games already missed
1. Kucherov 102 points
2. McDavid 98 points
3. Kessel 97 points
4. Voracek 96 points
5. Malkin 95 points
6. Gaudreau 94 points
7. Stamkos 93 points
8. Ovechkin 90 points
9. Tavares 89 points
10. Crosby 88 points

Talk about parity...

Reactions: Legionnaire

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I think next year Eichel, Scheifle, Matthews potentially join the top ten.

If Vancouver gets good, or Elias Pettersen lives up to the hype and happens to play with Boeser, he should get there too. I have no doubt about Boeser's snipes, but he wont be at the top unless he can pile up the assists. It's sort of like the Matthews situation right now, if they both had pure snipers on there lines they would both have more assists then they do. Come to think of it Eichel doesen't really have any good line-mates either so all three of them are in that boat.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think Malkin smells it and if healthy overtakes Kucherov but I think the trade deadline will have a big voice in this race

---FYI, when they fix Gaudreau's stats he'll have 62 points, he got the goal tonight credited to Stone and had 3 points.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t fix it because that would be an admission that he touched it and it kind of looked like a high stick to me

Reactions: Wings4Life

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Johnny Gaudreau plays like he did last night he's got as good a chance as anyone. It's amazing how many great passes he's able to make in only a single shift when he's feeling it - the puck just follows him around.

That said, I would think McDavid will heat up down the stretch - he's due. Smart money is probably on him. It's amazing how much offense those two Pacific stars can create on their own. They are the only two guys in the top 10 without a teammate in the top 30 . . .

I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t fix it because that would be an admission that he touched it and it kind of looked like a high stick to me

They'll fix it. It was the right call based on the call on the ice.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad