OT: The Wonder OT Thread (what is the secret of off topic?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I understand most if not all of that.

My father had a full time job as a mechanic, maintained our home alone, paid all the bills as my mother was a stay at home mom bought 5 acres of land, framed the new house, did all the electrical wiring, drywall and finishing carpentry and raised 3 kids and sponsored his entire and my mothers entire family here from India.

We never took our cars to a mechanic once. He fixed them in the garage for 40+ years. He tried to share it all with me, but I never bothered to listen to him.

I am 10% of the man he was.

Edit: My father was an functioning alcoholic so i've seen what it can do to a person and household. I am very happy that battle is in your past.

Haha, I can relate to that. Most of what my dad has taught that has stuck is car shit which is great bc I will only have to pay to change brake pads and oil if I feel like it.

I definitely relate to that, I doubt I’ll ever be as good as my dad was. But as he’s gotten older he’s told me stories about !how! He learned everything he knows and our breed definitely learns the hard way :laugh: was his birthday a week ago. I’m lucky to have had such a great man raise me. One of my best friends as well, we bust each others balls all the time.

I appreciate the words, Bobby. Speaking as an alcoholic (you never really recover, it just gets slightly easier not to have the first), I’m sorry that happened to your dad and you (maybe). Having gone through it, I use humour as a coping tool but I seriously would not wish alcoholism or addiction of any kind on my worst enemy, that’s how bad it is to be in that rut. And it’s not easy to dig out of it. Everyone is affected differently but ultimately you just aren’t yourself, and sometimes, you’re running from yourself. It’s just sad altogether. I don’t believe but god bless everyone would stuck it out for me. All the friends who didn’t leave. I’m lucky.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I got off work early today... only to spend almost all that time shoveling my driveway. It's time to invest in a power shovel or snow blower etc.

Northerner, here - depending on how big your driveway is, a scoop might be your most cost effective bet. If you only get snowfall a couple of times a year, it would be way cheaper than a snow blower.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I stopped smoking pot and I haven’t been able to get shuteye for 4 days. Feels amazing though
You will have weird dreams for a little bit, but you will actually dream. Weed is like booze where you might fall asleep easier but you wont get REM sleep so you wake up very tired. After 2-3 weeks the boredness and hazy feeling will be gone

Reactions: Play

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
You will have weird dreams for a little bit, but you will actually dream. Weed is like booze where you might fall asleep easier but you wont get REM sleep so you wake up very tired. After 2-3 weeks the boredness and hazy feeling will be gone

Weed is *like* booze in that way, but not nearly as intense. I have never woke up from a night of smoking and wanted to kill myself.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I'm lucky enough to still have my Dad around, but this post might as well be from me in the future. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who can relate.

As someone who has recently made the decision to move back to Vancouver to be closer to aging parents this really hits home.

Reactions: Vector and m9

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
So, I'm a power engineer so I can relate a bit to this...

Some of the more senior posters probably remember I struggled with alcoholism for a good deal of years, god bless him my dad tried to teach me all this but I was too hungover or cut to care. Well, since becoming sober I've paid the tab in my own embarrassment. Most work such as replacing a pump is fairly intuitive for someone with my knowledge, but actually doing the work sometimes there are things in practice that you won't know how to do until you struggle.

My dad, man. it's unbelievable. He started as a power engineer, and eventually climbed high enough to become a director (of something) at Telus. There was a good stretch from 2003-09 where in the middle of being promoted 3 or 4 times, he: renovated a house, built onto said house to expand floorplan by 33%, moved his mum into the house, dealt with my bullshit, etc.

No idea how the man did it, and every year I grow older I am more in awe.
Do you think this thing, that you have stated from a personal point of view, can be extrapolated out to a more society level generational situation? Like there is something in the things that we were taught or the tv shows we watched or the environment we were raised in that has lead to your personal experience to be a common outcome?

This year I am going to study stoicism as a personal growth project…

Also Im testing to see if you blocked me…

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Do you think this thing, that you have stated from a personal point of view, can be extrapolated out to a more society level generational situation? Like there is something in the things that we were taught or the tv shows we watched or the environment we were raised in that has lead to your personal experience to be a common outcome?

I’m sorry you’ll have to speak louder, it seems as though I’ve blocked you.

I think a big difference between the two generations could be linked to multiple factors, I think a big one for people who are in about my age range is the advent of the internet. Before, if you were being shown how to change your oil, you’d better have been listening because if you need to do that and don’t know what to do, it’d be a huge inconvenience. Information was not as convenient and available as it is now.

So for people my age, you get shown and you can kind of be in and out, it’s not as important because if you don’t get it now, you can type damn near any question into your phone and have hundreds of results. I think that leads to learning being a different experience. Like, the ferry would only take off every once in awhile you better not miss it. There was urgency to learn. Now, there’s a ferry every 5 minutes.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I’m sorry you’ll have to speak louder, it seems as though I’ve blocked you.

I think a big difference between the two generations could be linked to multiple factors, I think a big one for people who are in about my age range is the advent of the internet. Before, if you were being shown how to change your oil, you’d better have been listening because if you need to do that and don’t know what to do, it’d be a huge inconvenience. Information was not as convenient and available as it is now.

So for people my age, you get shown and you can kind of be in and out, it’s not as important because if you don’t get it now, you can type damn near any question into your phone and have hundreds of results. I think that leads to learning being a different experience. Like, the ferry would only take off every once in awhile you better not miss it. There was urgency to learn. Now, there’s a ferry every 5 minutes.
Ok.

But the question was more about the
difference between the generations in the idea that fathers would do all this stuff such as what your dad did, and fathers today do not do that stuff for whatever reason.

I thought that was the premise of what you were saying but I could have got the wrong end of the stick.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I will jokingly say that for my dads generation (boomers) they didn't have Nintendo growing up and got married & started having kids in their early 20's, so they didn't have much else to do when not working other than fixing up the house & the car that they were able to easily afford.

In terms of the 'success' your talking about, I don't know I'm not a historian but as an enthusiast I would point out that in North America the post-WWII saw a middle class boom that's likely unprecedented in world history. Anyone with the right mix of dedication, work ethic, knowledge/skills, and/or connections, had the opportunity to go far. Something that's become increasingly harder as the decades moved forward.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ok.

But the question was more about the
difference between the generations in the idea that fathers would do all this stuff such as what your dad did, and fathers today do not do that stuff for whatever reason.

I thought that was the premise of what you were saying but I could have got the wrong end of the stick.

I’m not a dad and I don’t know many my age to make an informed opinion on why, I can only speculate with the info I do have.

Perhaps they don’t have the time or energy? Or other mental disadvantages? If I had the choice between spending either $700 for a service I can learn myself, I’m just going to learn myself because I’m cheap.

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I will jokingly say that for my dads generation (boomers) they didn't have Nintendo growing up and got married & started having kids in their early 20's, so they didn't have much else to do when not working other than fixing up the house & the car that they were able to easily afford.

In terms of the 'success' your talking about, I don't know I'm not a historian but as an enthusiast I would point out that in North America the post-WWII saw a middle class boom that's likely unprecedented in world history. Anyone with the right mix of dedication, work ethic, knowledge/skills, and/or connections, had the opportunity to go far. Something that's become increasingly harder as the decades moved forward.
Yea it is likely a mix of a bunch of things. They grew up learning long known things from their parents and enjoyed a better work life balance, things being easier to work on and built to last or rebuildable. A lower barrier to entry for school and work and starting business and receiving pensions. Actually seeing immediate and long term success from hard work is a big one that is far rarer today. Not connected to the world and all of its problems with internet and lets not forget all day news on TV, people have evolved for hundreds of thousands of years to care only about their small clan/communities well being. Boomers in NA like you said were the luckiest generation age wise to ever exist and will likely ever exist for a myriad of reasons.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I also think that many young people live in condos/townhouses so you don't physically have the space to do things like work on a car or have a garage full of tools.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I also think that many young people live in condos/townhouses so you don't physically have the space to do things like work on a car or have a garage full of tools.

This is an underrated point. I have no space for storage for any actual tools, so I do all my car shit at my parents.

Reactions: m9

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
For those looking to buy tickets to see Messi when they go on sale, all I can say is they are “Ticketmaster” prices…

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
This seems like quite an out of the blue question.

I would say about 5 minutes on the ice during warmups.
Usually didn’t stretch after unless something felt particularly tight. Curious what made you ask this now?

I find if you've an active job, you're typically fine with 5 minutes or less. You're really only needing to do all hips and below and shoulders. If you're in your 20s, that's fine. Just keep hydrated throughout the day or you may have a bad time. Also, it helps if you are not drunk when you play, but that's just my personal experience. :laugh:
-----

Often replicated, never duplicated. Is there anyone better?

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
This seems like quite an out of the blue question.

I would say about 5 minutes on the ice during warmups.
Usually didn’t stretch after unless something felt particularly tight. Curious what made you ask this now?
You’re the only guy I know here that played, and for what it’s worth I still follow your advice on how long before games to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland