OT: The Wonder OT Thread (what is the secret of off topic?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If that exact set of players turned up for the 2024 draft, the runaway #1 pick would have been Paul Kariya.

Kariya scored an insane 100 points in 39 games in the NCAA - a higher rate than Daigle at a much more difficult level - and was the better of the two when they were teammates at the WJC. Just a much bigger all-around talent ... but this was the 1990s and he was 5'10 so the absolute insanity of his production was largely ignored.

When Daigle came back with Minnesota I thought he was really solid and I still don't understand what happened in his 2nd season there.

Yeah, Kariya’s statistics were ridonkulous. But big man’s game (at that time)!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I’m looking for some advice on how to cut my connectivity costs. I currently pay Roger’s about $150/month for internet 15, basic tv and Sportsnet and TSN. Thé only reason I pay for the tv package is to watch Canuck games. Then there’s my cellular costs which amount to $80/month for 6GB Virgin mobile. All in all, that’s about $2700/yr for browsing the web, YouTube vids and hockey, looking for suggestions on how to cut costs.
Thanks

Sportsnet now app is like 22$ a month, sometimes you can get it cheaper with promotions etc. It's not the best, but I can watch every canuck game on it.

I cut cable a few years ago and haven't really looked back.

As for your cell, I'm with virgin as well and I think my plan is something like 15 gig for the same price. If you don't really use the data, call in and make waves. They'll probably offer you a better deal. I think even recently they were offering like 8g for 50, but you could get cheaper if you talk to someone.

Reactions: Nomobo and Play

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’m looking for some advice on how to cut my connectivity costs. I currently pay Roger’s about $150/month for internet 15, basic tv and Sportsnet and TSN. Thé only reason I pay for the tv package is to watch Canuck games. Then there’s my cellular costs which amount to $80/month for 6GB Virgin mobile. All in all, that’s about $2700/yr for browsing the web, YouTube vids and hockey, looking for suggestions on how to cut costs.
Thanks

I looked into doing this as well. Unfortunately with everything being subscription based, costs don’t reduce as much as you’d like. You could go with an Amazon Firestick, Sportsnet+ subscription ($15 with yearly), and an internet-only plan. I used to have a detailed breakdown of all the options and their individual costs but I must have deleted that note off my phone. I found the price still worked out to be the same as I was currently paying Shaw/Rogers. I actually watch most Canucks games from my phone using the Rogers Ignite app (former Shaw Blue Curve).

Currently, I pay $50.40 for 27gb with my wife's phone through Shaw/Rogers (my phone is through my company). My internet + TV (Flex20) costs $134.40 a month.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Thanks

Sportsnet+ is $23 per month. It has all the Canucks games.
Teksavvy Internet 30 is $30 / month for the first year, then it goes up to $60.
Fido 30gb plan is $39 / month for BYOP right now

That gets your costs down to $1100 next year.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
What did you find buggy about PikTV? I don't use their app much, I just basically pay for a cheap login to Sportsnet/tsn/a&e apps and a few other channels and have never had an issue.

I remember originally they had given me a Roku-type box but I never used it.
This was a few years ago now, so it's entirely possible those bugs have been smoothed out, but it used have horrendous audio sync issues. The play by play would be fine for a bit then detach itself from the video stream. Sometimes fixable by rebooting everything from scratch but typically just did the same thing over again. Didn't really matter if it was the app or the website. It was a very common issue people tried to troubleshoot on the message boards. Perhaps that has been cleared up by now.

Reactions: Nomobo

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Thank for all the replies. I’m thinking of out Tecsavvy and going with the Sportsnet app. Also going to hit up Virgin for a better plan.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sportsnet+ is $23 per month. It has all the Canucks games.
Teksavvy Internet 30 is $30 / month for the first year, then it goes up to $60.
Fido 30gb plan is $39 / month for BYOP right now

That gets your costs down to $1100 next year.

Also, if you care at all about this type of stuff, Teksavvy is constantly advocating and fighting for the consumer in the telecom arena. I'd stay with them even if it cost more than one of the big monopoly options.

Reactions: Nomobo and m9

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks

$80/month for 6GB for your phone plan seems like an absolute rip off. Find a cheaper plan asap

Reactions: Nomobo

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
$80/month for 6GB for your phone plan seems like an absolute rip off. Find a cheaper plan asap
Yeah pretty sure theyre all doing $40 for like 25gb now

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I was able to get a custom deal on a 2 year contract with Shaw around 2 years ago. $140 a month for 500 speed internet and 2 4k cable boxes with a decent cable package. I had spent a few years without cable tv. Now with the merger I doubt Ill get a similar deal but we’ll see. 80 a month for cell phone makes sense if you are paying off the phone but is robbery if the phone is paid off. Im paying 50 a month with Koodo but get a few perks like rollover data so end up with 80 gigs available

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If you're only using your TV package to watch Canucks games, it's probably most economical to just cancel it and subscribe to the Sportsnet+ app. You can stream it from a TV, phone, computer, whichever is most convenient for you, and it's I think ~$20/month. I hate plugging Rogers, but the app actually works quite well. I tried the Telus pikTV option a while ago but found it very buggy and unreliable, though that might be the cheapest way to get Sportsnet and TSN if you want both together.

For cellular just take a look at current deals with the discount carriers and switch to whichever is most convenient. Koodo/Fido/Virgin all essentially rotate the same plans and pricing. You should be able to get a mobile plan for less than $40 with a decent amount of data from any of them.

The internet plan is the one that might take the most digging. You're on the Island? There may be some smaller players there with some deals, but I'm not familiar. The most reliable are just the usual Telus, or Shaw/Rogers who have very comparable deals. You will get a discount also if you pair a koodo mobile plan with a Telus home internet plan, or a fido mobile plan with a shaw/rogers home internet plan.

Best advice is just call either Telus or Rogers and see which one will offer you their best home internet price for the speed you want, and then switch your mobile provider accordingly.
I have nothing but issues with the Sportsnet app but it still works enough to use. All my buddies have issues as well with it but it’s nothing to really make you cancel the plan (since we have no choice as well).

I was recently with Telus for my phone plan which was like $95/month but switched to Koodoo for basically the same plan and it’s $37/month.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I have nothing but issues with the Sportsnet app but it still works enough to use. All my buddies have issues as well with it but it’s nothing to really make you cancel the plan (since we have no choice as well).

I had a ton of issues with the Sportsnet app in the past but it's been great for maybe the last 1-2 months. I'm not sure if it's a lucky streak or they actually fixed something.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I had a ton of issues with the Sportsnet app in the past but it's been great for maybe the last 1-2 months. I'm not sure if it's a lucky streak or they actually fixed something.
Seems like the issues come in waves. Me and a buddy split it so it’s not as expensive and all of a sudden I’ll get an error “too many devices being used” but then the next day it will work fine.

That and it will just randomly buffer and I need to close the app and reopen it. This is the only app I’ve ever had handfuls of issues with and it’s just embarrassing Rogers can’t pay enough make a proper app.

Not letting me pick Home-Away broadcast is also a big reason I miss NHLtv.

Reactions: m9

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Seems like the issues come in waves. Me and a buddy split it so it’s not as expensive and all of a sudden I’ll get an error “too many devices being used” but then the next day it will work fine.

That and it will just randomly buffer and I need to close the app and reopen it. This is the only app I’ve ever had handfuls of issues with and it’s just embarrassing Rogers can’t pay enough make a proper app.

They're definitely trying to crack down on password sharing—have been splitting between three of us and have the most issues anytime all three are actively trying to use on our Apple TVs. Browser usually fine, but even then it goes through periods of crashing every 10-20 minutes and is generally frustrating to use.

Not being able to switch off of the Boston feed and being forced to hear a man with a brain injury struggle to say more than the players' names 5 seconds after they've already passed the puck is a huge negative. Old app was about as good as it gets.

Reactions: PG Canuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Yeah, I would get the buffering issues a ton as well.

My main problem would be every single day I would log into the app on my TV they would say my plan doesn't support what I am trying to watch and I would have to log out & log back in and link everything again and then it would magically work.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They're definitely trying to crack down on password sharing—have been splitting between three of us and have the most issues anytime all three are actively trying to use on our Apple TVs. Browser usually fine, but even then it goes through periods of crashing every 10-20 minutes and is generally frustrating to use.

Not being able to switch off of the Boston feed and being forced to hear a man with a brain injury struggle to say more than the players' names 5 seconds after they've already passed the puck is a huge negative. Old app was about as good as it gets.
Wonder if they started cracking down on it harder recently because it’s been fine up until a few weeks ago but it’s very picky choosey on when that error code comes up for “too many devices”. My buddy and I watch pretty much every night.

I notice it will work better/worse on certain devices too, for example my Xbox One and PS4 work fairly good but I get the buffering issues and now the too many devices error here and there. On my phone, never an issue. My buddy had issues with AppleTV for awhile.

Reactions: timw33

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
how do I unignore a thread?

The threads don't show up in my preferences - where it says "ignored threads"

Reactions: Play
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad