OT: The Wonder OT Thread (what is the secret of off topic?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I watched it with my kid and ended up liking it more than I thought I would. I would definitely recommend.
gives me a different perspective Of Alexander dangle.

he was never arrogant. Although same maturing was needed. The first thing he did was literally bought him mom a car who takes the bus. Paid off parents mortgage, and bought an average jeep.

he could have topped out as a career second liner if Roger Neilson didn’t convert him to a 3rd liner. Glad he’s happy though.

but man… 17 points in his 1st 10 games ????? crosby or mcdavid never did that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hard to say as this was before common internet usage, but the impression I have from the day is it was just an unfair hype train. It was around height of the hockey card fad - in interest and monetary value, you had Gretzky and Lemieux playing, then Lindros was just drafted and starting to dominate the NHL. So with much less information dissemination - again pre-internet, people/media just wanted to continue the story of having the next big Canadian superstar being drafted again.

This is basically what happened.

Eric Lindros had been a phenomenon in 1991 and was great for selling hockey cards and magazines and merchandise ... and then the 1992 draft happened and some guy that nobody had ever heard of named Roman Hamrlik went #1 overall and nobody made any money off it.

So then for 1993 you had this pretty good prospect in Daigle who was also charismatic and photogenic and this media/marketing push swelled up behind him that was totally out of proportion with how good he actually was. Even today people talk about him like he was a generational talent when he really was basically the same player as Jeff Friesen who went 11th overall in 1994.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Eric Lindros had been a phenomenon in 1991 and was great for selling hockey cards and magazines and merchandise ... and then the 1992 draft happened and some guy that nobody had ever heard of named Roman Hamrlik went #1 overall and nobody made any money off it.

So then for 1993 you had this pretty good prospect in Daigle who was also charismatic and photogenic and this media/marketing push swelled up behind him that was totally out of proportion with how good he actually was. Even today people talk about him like he was a generational talent when he really was basically the same player as Jeff Friesen who went 11th overall in 1994.

They are releasing a documentary seemingly based entirely around how he was a sure-fire can't miss generational prospect that missed. So...yeah even today is accurate.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They are releasing a documentary seemingly based entirely around how he was a sure-fire can't miss generational prospect that missed. So...yeah even today is accurate.

He could skate really fast but didn't have any other truly elite skills. If things had gone well he could have peaked as a Martin Havlat-level player through the DPE.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'm not sure that's what happened. There are some years where the potential #1 pick was identified early. In 1992, Hamrlik and Yashin weren't even ranked #1 by CSB.

Daigle, like Lindros, was identified early. But to be fair, despite the fact that the 1993 draft is considered one of the best drafts ever, the top 10 / 1st round was hardly filled with HOFers. Burke moved up the draft to draft Pronger but Pronger was seen as raw at the time. The fact that Burke was able to move up from #6 to draft him suggests that Pronger wasn't seen as a generational talent.

CSB had Pronger, Gratton, Niedermayer, Kariya, and Arnott in that order in their NA rankings. They had former Canuck Pedersson ahead of current Canuck Harvey but that's another story.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Obviously a bit foggy being from so long ago but I don't remember the daigle hype being anywhere close to lindros.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Obviously a bit foggy being from so long ago but I don't remember the daigle hype being anywhere close to lindros.

Thanks everyone, I was a little busy being in the hospital learning how to breathe at the time of this draft :laugh:

There’s a video of the draft on YouTube, certainly interesting to go back. Sharks f***ed up big time trading down, although Kozlov was certainly no slouch.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Career tests are dumb. I'm thinking of a career change and took a test online. Each result it gave me said I'd need a Batchelors degree. Like its a test specifically for people wanting to switch careers. So they just expect everyone to go do 4 years of school.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He could skate really fast but didn't have any other truly elite skills. If things had gone well he could have peaked as a Martin Havlat-level player through the DPE.
I *VAGUELY* remembering attempting the *SAME* type of moves to get around defenders at the NHL that worked so well for him at the junior level? Or am I mixing him up with somebody else?

Career tests are dumb. I'm thinking of a career change and took a test online. Each result it gave me said I'd need a Batchelors degree. Like its a test specifically for people wanting to switch careers. So they just expect everyone to go do 4 years of school.
You might've been just as well off if they just handed you this old classic board game:

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Do literally whatever - that’s what I tell kids these days. And don’t feel forced into a life decision you can’t really make. I didn’t really want to go to uni, but I was on that path cause of my mum and I ended up wasting my parents money.

It doesn’t really matter, work ends up being work no matter what. Go get your bag, the field doesn’t matter.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Do literally whatever - that’s what I tell kids these days. And don’t feel forced into a life decision you can’t really make. I didn’t really want to go to uni, but I was on that path cause of my mum and I ended up wasting my parents money.

It doesn’t really matter, work ends up being work no matter what. Go get your bag, the field doesn’t matter.

Problem is, I don't know what to do. Or more accurately, how to do it. I want to get into hockey. But it seems like the only way in is knowing someone.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
done like dinner.jpg

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Problem is, I don't know what to do. Or more accurately, how to do it. I want to get into hockey. But it seems like the only way in is knowing someone.

Best way in for us is either grass roots or media personality. Or be born with an unfathomable amount of money.

Like even if you are a ref, a foot in the door works better than trying to bust it down. I’m a power engineer, I never had a passion for it, but I was doing unskilled labor working 16 hours 2 jobs and my back was killing me as a 26 year old. When I got home, I searched up BCIT to find the trade that’s the quickest, least expensive and preferably low grunt work. That’s what I landed on, and my dad was a power engineer before getting into Telus Corporate so that helps.

My dream job would be the guy that makes ice at an NHL arena. I don’t know, the only thing I ever really wanted to accomplish in my life is being a dad. But alas, no money in there.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Best way in for us is either grass roots or media personality. Or be born with an unfathomable amount of money.

Like even if you are a ref, a foot in the door works better than trying to bust it down. I’m a power engineer, I never had a passion for it, but I was doing unskilled labor working 16 hours 2 jobs and my back was killing me as a 26 year old. When I got home, I searched up BCIT to find the trade that’s the quickest, least expensive and preferably low grunt work. That’s what I landed on, and my dad was a power engineer before getting into Telus Corporate so that helps.

My dream job would be the guy that makes ice at an NHL arena. I don’t know, the only thing I ever really wanted to accomplish in my life is being a dad. But alas, no money in there.

I want to be a scout :D

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Child trafficking is actually quite lucrative.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I’m looking for some advice on how to cut my connectivity costs. I currently pay Roger’s about $150/month for internet 15, basic tv and Sportsnet and TSN. Thé only reason I pay for the tv package is to watch Canuck games. Then there’s my cellular costs which amount to $80/month for 6GB Virgin mobile. All in all, that’s about $2700/yr for browsing the web, YouTube vids and hockey, looking for suggestions on how to cut costs.
Thanks

Reactions: Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I’m looking for some advice on how to cut my connectivity costs. I currently pay Roger’s about $150/month for internet 15, basic tv and Sportsnet and TSN. Thé only reason I pay for the tv package is to watch Canuck games. Then there’s my cellular costs which amount to $80/month for 6GB Virgin mobile. All in all, that’s about $2700/yr for browsing the web, YouTube vids and hockey, looking for suggestions on how to cut costs.
Thanks
Look for promotions and deals. Many internet and TV providers offer discounts and incentives for new customers or for switching from another provider. You can also bundle your internet and TV services with the same provider to get a lower price. Some providers may even offer free streaming services or channels as part of their packages.

Also, negotiate with your provider. You can call their customer service and ask for a loyalty discount, a price match, or a waiver of any fees. You can also mention any competing offers or plans that you are considering. You may be able to get a lower price or some extra perks if you are polite and persistent.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

This is a good summary of the hype, for sure. Being the top prospect going to the new Canadian expansion franchise (and being drafted to a Canadian team) all added to it, too. He certainly had talent - but by his own admission when he was 25, he had no real passion for the game. He said he didn’t really enjoy hockey, but stuck with it because he was good at it.

I think his two years away from the game made him realize he enjoyed it more than he thought he had, and he came back for a few seasons. Again, not without talent - he put up 20 goals / 51 points with the trap happy Minnesota Wild in the peak of the Dead Puck Era. He definitely had the talent to have a good career in the NHL. But in the 90s with expansion teams, they were doomed to suck for years and years, not the greatest environment for a new prospect to try and ease into.

Reactions: Vector

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks

I use Telus PikTV and their intro offer for basically the same tv stuff as you was around $100. Might be worth checking out. I'm still on it but now my plan without that intro offer is closer to $150 again though.

Reactions: Nomobo and Play

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is a good summary of the hype, for sure. Being the top prospect going to the new Canadian expansion franchise (and being drafted to a Canadian team) all added to it, too. He certainly had talent - but by his own admission when he was 25, he had no real passion for the game. He said he didn’t really enjoy hockey, but stuck with it because he was good at it.

I think his two years away from the game made him realize he enjoyed it more than he thought he had, and he came back for a few seasons. Again, not without talent - he put up 20 goals / 51 points with the trap happy Minnesota Wild in the peak of the Dead Puck Era. He definitely had the talent to have a good career in the NHL. But in the 90s with expansion teams, they were doomed to suck for years and years, not the greatest environment for a new prospect to try and ease into.

If that exact set of players turned up for the 2024 draft, the runaway #1 pick would have been Paul Kariya.

Kariya scored an insane 100 points in 39 games in the NCAA - a higher rate than Daigle at a much more difficult level - and was the better of the two when they were teammates at the WJC. Just a much bigger all-around talent ... but this was the 1990s and he was 5'10 so the absolute insanity of his production was largely ignored.

When Daigle came back with Minnesota I thought he was really solid and I still don't understand what happened in his 2nd season there.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Thanks
If you're only using your TV package to watch Canucks games, it's probably most economical to just cancel it and subscribe to the Sportsnet+ app. You can stream it from a TV, phone, computer, whichever is most convenient for you, and it's I think ~$20/month. I hate plugging Rogers, but the app actually works quite well. I tried the Telus pikTV option a while ago but found it very buggy and unreliable, though that might be the cheapest way to get Sportsnet and TSN if you want both together.

For cellular just take a look at current deals with the discount carriers and switch to whichever is most convenient. Koodo/Fido/Virgin all essentially rotate the same plans and pricing. You should be able to get a mobile plan for less than $40 with a decent amount of data from any of them.

The internet plan is the one that might take the most digging. You're on the Island? There may be some smaller players there with some deals, but I'm not familiar. The most reliable are just the usual Telus, or Shaw/Rogers who have very comparable deals. You will get a discount also if you pair a koodo mobile plan with a Telus home internet plan, or a fido mobile plan with a shaw/rogers home internet plan.

Best advice is just call either Telus or Rogers and see which one will offer you their best home internet price for the speed you want, and then switch your mobile provider accordingly.

Reactions: Nomobo and Play

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If you're only using your TV package to watch Canucks games, it's probably most economical to just cancel it and subscribe to the Sportsnet+ app. You can stream it from a TV, phone, computer, whichever is most convenient for you, and it's I think ~$20/month. I hate plugging Rogers, but the app actually works quite well. I tried the Telus pikTV option a while ago but found it very buggy and unreliable, though that might be the cheapest way to get Sportsnet and TSN if you want both together.

For cellular just take a look at current deals with the discount carriers and switch to whichever is most convenient. Koodo/Fido/Virgin all essentially rotate the same plans and pricing. You should be able to get a mobile plan for less than $40 with a decent amount of data from any of them.

The internet plan is the one that might take the most digging. You're on the Island? There may be some smaller players there with some deals, but I'm not familiar. The most reliable are just the usual Telus, or Shaw/Rogers who have very comparable deals. You will get a discount also if you pair a koodo mobile plan with a Telus home internet plan, or a fido mobile plan with a shaw/rogers home internet plan.

Best advice is just call either Telus or Rogers and see which one will offer you their best home internet price for the speed you want, and then switch your mobile provider accordingly.

What did you find buggy about PikTV? I don't use their app much, I just basically pay for a cheap login to Sportsnet/tsn/a&e apps and a few other channels and have never had an issue.

I remember originally they had given me a Roku-type box but I never used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad