The Virtues of Development vs. Winning in the AHL (Read OP)

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Good. Hopefully will mean the end of people asking why they're not in over "X" after every loss.

I know it's been hard on you to have to ignore things you don't want to read on the internet.

The thread title makes it pretty clear what you'll find here—if you don't want to read that, there's a pretty simple solution.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
No, now people will be asking why they were even sent home at all.

At least we won't have to hear the term "learn by osmosis" for a while. Watch us get a string of injuries in Game 1 and need them now.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Just a joke that McCann doesnt even get into a game

Yeah it certainly is frustrating. Manchester had no problem inserting Kempe into the lineup later in the year and it didn't hurt them one bit. If we get a few centre injuries to the Comets this place will explode and rightfully so.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
McCann 0.60GPG 1.45PPG
Horvat 0.56GPG 1.37PPG
Bertuzzi 0.63GPG 1.44PPG

Bertuzzi went 7g 5a 12pts in 14 GP

McCann went home lol

Developmental team my ass. Play Negrin over Hutton too lol

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
What kind of organization, not just sports team, but any kind of organization, would risk a years worth of hard work that has almost no margin for error, so a few new employees could get some work expereince?

What an insult to the people who worked so hard to get the project to that point in the first place.

You don't make winners without winning. Why risk the development/confidence gains we have made with Markstrom, Baertshi, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Clendenning, Anderson, Friesen, Grenier, Virtanen and the rest of them, so that McCann or Hutton can get a few games in, or more likely, end up being the goat in a critical game, let down the entire team and organization and take a huge step back?

The margin of error for this team making it to where they have has been very thin at times. Like quadruple overtime 2-1 win kind of thin. Putting a kid under that kind of pressure for no reason, when you are winning and winning the right ways, is just plain silly.

I mean, you would have to forget that the players are actually people, and that's not a way to build an organization.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
You don't make winners without winning. Why risk the development/confidence gains we have made with Markstrom, Baertshi, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Clendenning, Anderson, Friesen, Grenier, Virtanen and the rest of them, so that McCann or Hutton can get a few games in, or more likely, end up being the goat in a critical game, let down the entire team and organization and take a huge step back?

Hutton was supposed to be given a chance to adapt to the AHL with the 15 regular season games but he was scratched for Negrin explain that. Virtanen was only inserted because of injury.

The margin of error for this team making it to where they have has been very thin at times. Like quadruple overtime 2-1 win kind of thin. Putting a kid under that kind of pressure for no reason, when you are winning and winning the right ways, is just plain silly.

Yeah like Larkin, Kempe, Nylander, Virtanen, Bertuzzi all ruined by the presure.

I mean, you would have to forget that the players are actually people, and that's not a way to build an organization.

I guess Detroit has no idea what it's doing developing these kids.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Canucks fans are never happy. What about the Utica fans who deserve to have the best team fielded and not take any risks in the FINALS? Or the players who have been on Utica all year, which would be bumped for an 18 year old kid?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Canucks fans are never happy. What about the Utica fans who deserve to have the best team fielded and not take any risks in the FINALS? Or the players who have been on Utica all year, which would be bumped for an 18 year old kid?

If Hutton actually got all the regular season ice time he should have gotten the Comets would have been stronger than they are now on defense.

Instead Hutton got scratched for Negrin and Ehrhart lol.

McCann has the same OHL stats as Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi was near PPG for the GRG.

Virtanen has already made a good impact in the AHL.

Playing these 3 would have made the team stronger.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
What kind of organization, not just sports team, but any kind of organization, would risk a years worth of hard work that has almost no margin for error, so a few new employees could get some work expereince?

Literally every other NHL team. What Benning and co are doing here is unprecedented.

The fact that they actually own the team and control 100% what they do, and this still happens, is mind-blowing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Literally every other NHL team. What Benning and co are doing here is unprecedented.

The fact that they actually own the team and control 100% what they do, and this still happens, is mind-blowing.

Meh. Utica are winning, they must be doing something right.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Meh. Utica are winning, they must be doing something right.

as we know, doing anything right means that everything you do is right. this is what you're implying, right? because the statement "a thing is being done correctly" is basically a truism

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Um, literally every AHL team, every year?

Including the one they're now playing in the Finals?

The entire point of Utica's existence is to get important new employees work experience.

What an insult to the people who worked so hard to get the project to that point in the first place.

Yup. The stupid Flames sure screwed up by playing rookie Sam Bennett over a guy like Paul Byron who earned it all year. What dummies.

You don't get it, on several levels.

First off, history tells us that a well-developing #1 pick like McCann is almost always an upgrade on a journeyman AHL 4th liner. Not playing him is actually BAD FOR EVERYONE ELSE as well as his own development.

Playing Virtanen doesn't seem to have hurt us, does it?

LA's #1 pick Kempe will go to his first NHL camp next year having gone through an AHL playoffs with the confidence built from coming in and performing at a high level (already 4 goals in 12 games). Our guy will come into camp after being told he wasn't good enough and being sent home. Who do you think developed better.

McCann is also a better, more important prospect than any of those guys you list.

It's a disgrace and a complete joke. I have no idea what the organization is thinking in allowing this garbage to happen.

As others have said, what we're doing is completely unprecedented and flies in the face of both common practice and common sense.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
as we know, doing anything right means that everything you do is right. this is what you're implying, right? because the statement "a thing is being done correctly" is basically a truism

No I am saying what they have done has worked, that does not preclude something else working or even working better, nor does it preclude something else being worse.

all we do know is that Benning and especially Green and the other Utica coaching staff know more about these players than we do.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
No I am saying what they have done has worked, that does not preclude something else working or even working better, nor does it preclude something else being worse.

all we do know is that Benning and especially Green and the other Utica coaching staff know more about these players than we do.

that doesn't imply that the things that they 'know' are useful, or even correct. im sure mccann's mother knows more about him than benning, do you want her making the decision?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
that doesn't imply that the things that they 'know' are useful, or even correct. im sure mccann's mother knows more about him than benning, do you want her making the decision?
Sure if it comes to what his favourite birthday cake flavour is.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Say what you will about who didn't play... who did play got us to the finals, while Bertuzzi, Nylander, Larkin and crew are watching from the sidelines.

I'd argue that the benefits this long playoff run is having for players who are our most NHL ready prospects... guys like Grenier, Markstrom, Baertski, Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Corrado... far outweighs any "damage" done to Hutton or McCann's careers.

Virtanen getting playoff ice time is just a nice bonus side effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00