OT: The Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Runner77, Oct 19, 2018.

1. groovejuice

groovejuice Without deviation progress is not possible

No doubt in my mind that Japan is at the top of the seafood hierarchy.

Pokè is the perfect food for the perfect place though. I'm considering that as a tie breaker. It's very much a Japanese influenced dish, often made by Japanese with ingredients common to that cuisine.

A pokè bowl will often have soy sauce, ginger, edamame, nori, etc., but also fresh mango, avocado and macadamia nuts. It's heavenly.

2. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

If there's anything but tuna onions and rice in my poke bowl I'll be mad as hell. I guess I can do with Nori.

3. groovejuice

I usually prefer a simpler version myself, but not always. The one ingredient I never want in my pokè is mayo. It's an abomination.

4. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

I'm pretty new at surfing, but I think I'm decent (surfed basically everyday for three weeks when I was on Maui last year, then I surfed again this summer a few times... I found Lahaina had some really crazy waves. Not super high, but they seemed to move me super quick. Again, i'm a newbie so I don't even know what I'm saying. They recommended Kihei for first timers, which is what I did three days in a row, but that got old quick. Also the gigantic board I had wasn't fun at all.

There's also Jaws near Peahi, but thats just freaking crazy. The first day I went on the cliff to watch the surfers I was unimpressed. Waves were about 15ish feet high, sure, big waves, but nothing compared to the next week when I came back. Good lord, I think these wave were like twenty times the size of the poor surfers.

5. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Funny enough, one of my favorite dish was the california salmon poké, which has both mayo and avocados in there.

It's a different dish, Id say, but still really good.

6. groovejuice

I like aioli with certain dishes. Regular mayo does nothing for me.

Braun and jaffy27 like this.
  7. peate

peate Good grief!

If someone is crazy enough to pay millions of dollars for ONE tuna, it better be more than good.

jaffy27 likes this.
  8. Braun

Braun HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Yeah we started in Lahaina as well, there can be some good swells there. It’s a pretty shallow reef break so you have to be careful but it’s a great spot to learn! If you ever go back let me know we have a friend here who brings us around surfing and I can give you some other great spots that aren’t too insane! Forget Jaws haha, we were there last year during the competition! It is insane! Surprisingly enough we have surfed in Kihei, we tend to stick to the west side. The weather here is epic!

Mrb1p likes this.
  9. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

I will certainly be going back in the near future. Just cant get enough of the peace of mind there.

Braun likes this.
  10. angusyoung

angusyoung Registered User

self employed?
    I can do a bit more,been surfing off and on forever just not a thing that I go out of my way for,but if waves and a board is available, I'll hang ten from time to time.The main reason I go North is that a buddy of mine sets us up good at the Turtle resort.

Braun likes this.
  11. angusyoung

self employed?
    Indeed Japan has a step up on the fish industry,that market in Tokyo is so massive and clean,crazy that a fish shop is a tourist attraction.

The prefect place is pivotal for so many things for sure,the event in an awe inspiring or historical place and setting,can't be beat.

Poke must have been influenced by the Japanese and fused in Hawaii seeing as the ingredients are typical Japanese cuisine. Those macadamia nuts are addictive!Good thing Mauna loa has some small cans,cause once you pop,can't stop.

groovejuice likes this.
  12. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

I have an aversion for macadamia nut after thats all I hate for a whole weekend while stranded on Haleakala. Don't take the big tour guys, it's too long.

This completely killed M&Ms, Macademia nuts and canned chili (That one wasnt hard.). I take a look at a bag and I gag.

13. angusyoung

self employed?
    I guess the wave system on Maui is similar to Oahu? the season separate the big waves to the small waves?It's so funny that at Christmas time,so many people surfing at Waikiki on the 1 foot waves.

If you're up for a good paddle,can recommend some good surfing in the Cook islands,just so far to get to the waves though,but very quiet.Very small island with not many people.

14. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

I don't think I'm brave enough to paddle deep in the ocean. There's very little I'm scared off, but the ocean is too much uncontrollable variable for me, those damn fish, the waves, etc.

I don't know about the wave system, I know that the waves were huge in mid october at Jaws, but I think they peak a bit later in the winter.

15. angusyoung

self employed?
    Can't say how much the tuna in the restaurants cost,but huge variation of prices there.Can be cheaper than Montreal,but a few places,look out! The set menu will set you back a few brownies.

16. angusyoung

self employed?
    That's the problem with surfing,too far out,depending where you are. Oahu north,no need to go out far,huge waves right there. Not a fan of big fish either,I do some diving also and feel safer like that than on a board. Ever since I got hunted by one of those giant hammerheads,at least I found out that my heart can beat real strong!

17. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Plz don't tell me that......

Worst Ive had was a ray (sting ? Manta ? I think Manta because it was quite big.) about twelve feet from me.

I swear for a few seconds there, I couldve beaten Michael Phelps.

18. angusyoung

self employed?
    I guess that's a trail around the volcano? got lost? or just too long? hate that when misjudged.

19. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Too long. Or I misjudged our ability to do it fast. It took about 68 hours instead of the 55ish that I had calculated.

20. angusyoung

self employed?
    Scared to death actually,had to check if my leg was missing,was intact though,had to punch it many times to get it away.

Manta rays are peaceful though,you can actually hold on to them and swim with them. Could have been a sting ray,they can be massive,and very deadly,look at Steve Irwin.

21. angusyoung

self employed?
    That is one long walk! You regularly do trek like that?Properly equipped?

22. Mrb1p

Mrb1p PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Yes! I love multi day treks. Its pretty much the reason I travel.

covfefe likes this.
  23. covfefe

covfefe Met Gala buckled

I've been to Belize a few years ago, did some sailing and diving based out of Ambergris Caye. We had a great time, and if you are into either of those activities - plus or minus any water activity, sitting in the sun, drinking, eco-tourism, etc, you will probably also have a nice time. There are virtually no cars on the island and everyone gets around on golf carts. Now until April is also their dry season and typically the best (and busiest) time to visit.

If you are looking for a cultural experience it's not the place, but there were some local quirks I enjoyed. Also, the Belizean approach to air travel is a bit laissez-faire, and depending on your group's comfort level, potentially frightening.

Mrb1p likes this.
  24. angusyoung

self employed?
    You're lucky to have a spouse/partner that's in to that,I never had that type. Did much more when single with friends.

Ever done Milford sound in NZ? It's regarded as one of the top to be done.I got lucky when I was there,it rained very little!

25. angusyoung

self employed?
    Would you add to take inoculations etc? I took precautions as I do anywhere I go,but still ended up with malaria.