OT: The Travel Thread

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Certainly better than anywhere else I had in Montreal,but still the best for me is in Japan,they are wizards with tuna.

No doubt in my mind that Japan is at the top of the seafood hierarchy.

Pokè is the perfect food for the perfect place though. I'm considering that as a tie breaker. It's very much a Japanese influenced dish, often made by Japanese with ingredients common to that cuisine.

A pokè bowl will often have soy sauce, ginger, edamame, nori, etc., but also fresh mango, avocado and macadamia nuts. It's heavenly.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Pokè is the perfect food for the perfect place though. I'm considering that as a tie breaker. It's very much a Japanese influenced dish, often made by Japanese with ingredients common to that cuisine.

A pokè bowl will often have soy sauce, ginger, edamame, nori, etc., but also fresh mango, avocado and macadamia nuts. It's heavenly.
If there's anything but tuna onions and rice in my poke bowl I'll be mad as hell. I guess I can do with Nori.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If there's anything but tuna onions and rice in my poke bowl I'll be mad as hell. I guess I can do with Nori.

I usually prefer a simpler version myself, but not always. The one ingredient I never want in my pokè is mayo. It's an abomination.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
, I don’t know what level of surfer you are but if you are intermediate (4-8ft waves) there are also tons of those on Maui. Less crowded as well, which is nice and in general the locals are really friendly in the water, if you respect the « rules ».
I'm pretty new at surfing, but I think I'm decent (surfed basically everyday for three weeks when I was on Maui last year, then I surfed again this summer a few times... I found Lahaina had some really crazy waves. Not super high, but they seemed to move me super quick. Again, i'm a newbie so I don't even know what I'm saying. They recommended Kihei for first timers, which is what I did three days in a row, but that got old quick. Also the gigantic board I had wasn't fun at all.

There's also Jaws near Peahi, but thats just freaking crazy. The first day I went on the cliff to watch the surfers I was unimpressed. Waves were about 15ish feet high, sure, big waves, but nothing compared to the next week when I came back. Good lord, I think these wave were like twenty times the size of the poor surfers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I usually prefer a simpler version myself, but not always. The one ingredient I never want in my pokè is mayo. It's an abomination.
Funny enough, one of my favorite dish was the california salmon poké, which has both mayo and avocados in there.

It's a different dish, Id say, but still really good.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I'm pretty new at surfing, but I think I'm decent (surfed basically everyday for three weeks when I was on Maui last year, then I surfed again this summer a few times... I found Lahaina had some really crazy waves. Not super high, but they seemed to move me super quick. Again, i'm a newbie so I don't even know what I'm saying. They recommended Kihei for first timers, which is what I did three days in a row, but that got old quick. Also the gigantic board I had wasn't fun at all.

There's also Jaws near Peahi, but thats just freaking crazy. The first day I went on the cliff to watch the surfers I was unimpressed. Waves were about 15ish feet high, sure, big waves, but nothing compared to the next week when I came back. Good lord, I think these wave were like twenty times the size of the poor surfers.
Yeah we started in Lahaina as well, there can be some good swells there. It’s a pretty shallow reef break so you have to be careful but it’s a great spot to learn! If you ever go back let me know we have a friend here who brings us around surfing and I can give you some other great spots that aren’t too insane! Forget Jaws haha, we were there last year during the competition! It is insane! Surprisingly enough we have surfed in Kihei, we tend to stick to the west side. The weather here is epic!

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah we started in Lahaina as well, there can be some good swells there. It’s a pretty shallow reef break so you have to be careful but it’s a great spot to learn! If you ever go back let me know we have a friend here who brings us around surfing and I can give you some other great spots that aren’t too insane! Forget Jaws haha, we were there last year during the competition! It is insane! Surprisingly enough we have surfed in Kihei, we tend to stick to the west side. The weather here is epic!
I will certainly be going back in the near future. Just cant get enough of the peace of mind there.

Reactions: Braun

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
, I don’t know what level of surfer you are but if you are intermediate (4-8ft waves) there are also tons of those on Maui. Less crowded as well, which is nice and in general the locals are really friendly in the water, if you respect the « rules ».

I can do a bit more,been surfing off and on forever just not a thing that I go out of my way for,but if waves and a board is available, I'll hang ten from time to time.The main reason I go North is that a buddy of mine sets us up good at the Turtle resort.

Reactions: Braun

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Indeed Japan has a step up on the fish industry,that market in Tokyo is so massive and clean,crazy that a fish shop is a tourist attraction.

The prefect place is pivotal for so many things for sure,the event in an awe inspiring or historical place and setting,can't be beat.

Poke must have been influenced by the Japanese and fused in Hawaii seeing as the ingredients are typical Japanese cuisine. Those macadamia nuts are addictive!Good thing Mauna loa has some small cans,cause once you pop,can't stop.

Reactions: groovejuice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have an aversion for macadamia nut after thats all I hate for a whole weekend while stranded on Haleakala. Don't take the big tour guys, it's too long.

This completely killed M&Ms, Macademia nuts and canned chili (That one wasnt hard.). I take a look at a bag and I gag.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I guess the wave system on Maui is similar to Oahu? the season separate the big waves to the small waves?It's so funny that at Christmas time,so many people surfing at Waikiki on the 1 foot waves.

If you're up for a good paddle,can recommend some good surfing in the Cook islands,just so far to get to the waves though,but very quiet.Very small island with not many people.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I guess the wave system on Maui is similar to Oahu? the season separate the big waves to the small waves?It's so funny that at Christmas time,so many people surfing at Waikiki on the 1 foot waves.

If you're up for a good paddle,can recommend some good surfing in the Cook islands,just so far to get to the waves though,but very quiet.Very small island with not many people.
I don't think I'm brave enough to paddle deep in the ocean. There's very little I'm scared off, but the ocean is too much uncontrollable variable for me, those damn fish, the waves, etc.

I don't know about the wave system, I know that the waves were huge in mid october at Jaws, but I think they peak a bit later in the winter.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If someone is crazy enough to pay millions of dollars for ONE tuna, it better be more than good.

Can't say how much the tuna in the restaurants cost,but huge variation of prices there.Can be cheaper than Montreal,but a few places,look out! The set menu will set you back a few brownies.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't think I'm brave enough to paddle deep in the ocean. There's very little I'm scared off, but the ocean is too much uncontrollable variable for me, those damn fish, the waves, etc.

I don't know about the wave system, I know that the waves were huge in mid october at Jaws, but I think they peak a bit later in the winter.

That's the problem with surfing,too far out,depending where you are. Oahu north,no need to go out far,huge waves right there. Not a fan of big fish either,I do some diving also and feel safer like that than on a board. Ever since I got hunted by one of those giant hammerheads,at least I found out that my heart can beat real strong!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's the problem with surfing,too far out,depending where you are. Oahu north,no need to go out far,huge waves right there. Not a fan of big fish either,I do some diving also and feel safer like that than on a board. Ever since I got hunted by one of those giant hammerheads,at least I found out that my heart can beat real strong!
Plz don't tell me that......

Worst Ive had was a ray (sting ? Manta ? I think Manta because it was quite big.) about twelve feet from me.

I swear for a few seconds there, I couldve beaten Michael Phelps.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I have an aversion for macadamia nut after thats all I hate for a whole weekend while stranded on Haleakala. Don't take the big tour guys, it's too long.

This completely killed M&Ms, Macademia nuts and canned chili (That one wasnt hard.). I take a look at a bag and I gag.

I guess that's a trail around the volcano? got lost? or just too long? hate that when misjudged.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Plz don't tell me that......

Worst Ive had was a ray (sting ? Manta ? I think Manta because it was quite big.) about twelve feet from me.

I swear for a few seconds there, I couldve beaten Michael Phelps.

Scared to death actually,had to check if my leg was missing,was intact though,had to punch it many times to get it away.

Manta rays are peaceful though,you can actually hold on to them and swim with them. Could have been a sting ray,they can be massive,and very deadly,look at Steve Irwin.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Anybody been to Belize? We are thinking about vacationing there this winter

I've been to Belize a few years ago, did some sailing and diving based out of Ambergris Caye. We had a great time, and if you are into either of those activities - plus or minus any water activity, sitting in the sun, drinking, eco-tourism, etc, you will probably also have a nice time. There are virtually no cars on the island and everyone gets around on golf carts. Now until April is also their dry season and typically the best (and busiest) time to visit.

If you are looking for a cultural experience it's not the place, but there were some local quirks I enjoyed. Also, the Belizean approach to air travel is a bit laissez-faire, and depending on your group's comfort level, potentially frightening.

Reactions: Mrb1p

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yes! I love multi day treks. Its pretty much the reason I travel.

You're lucky to have a spouse/partner that's in to that,I never had that type. Did much more when single with friends.

Ever done Milford sound in NZ? It's regarded as one of the top to be done.I got lucky when I was there,it rained very little!

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've been to Belize a few years ago, did some sailing and diving based out of Ambergris Caye. We had a great time, and if you are into either of those activities - plus or minus any water activity, sitting in the sun, drinking, eco-tourism, etc, you will probably also have a nice time. There are virtually no cars on the island and everyone gets around on golf carts. Now until April is also their dry season and typically the best (and busiest) time to visit.

If you are looking for a cultural experience it's not the place, but there were some local quirks I enjoyed. Also, the Belizean approach to air travel is a bit laissez-faire, and depending on your group's comfort level, potentially frightening.

Would you add to take inoculations etc? I took precautions as I do anywhere I go,but still ended up with malaria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad