OT: The Travel Thread

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Someone told me how much they loved their 3-day stay in Goa, India. They said they'd easily go back and try to spend a couple of months. It's a spiritual place where that has a calming effect and that is so unlike other parts of India.

Has anyone been?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Going to the south of France (Nice, Monaco, Cannes) in a few weeks..can't wait!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I've been drinking and eating non-stop for the last week or so in Bangkok, Thailand. This city never sleeps seemingly. Until 3-4AM there are plenty of food vendors in the streets and beer is flowing. It's all cheap as dirt as well.

This is my first time in Southern Thailand. I still prefer Chiang Mai, but Bangkok isn't bad by any means.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Going to Kansas city for work, tornado season already underway, exciting.. lol

Terrifying no? was caught up in Oklahoma years ago when like 50 or 70 broke out and had to be sheltered down below. The aftermath of destruction is unbelievable in a blink of an eye.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Someone told me how much they loved their 3-day stay in Goa, India. They said they'd easily go back and try to spend a couple of months. It's a spiritual place where that has a calming effect and that is so unlike other parts of India.

Has anyone been?
Haven’t been to Goa...but to me...India=shit.

I really didn’t like the people, culture and overw’l « Vibe ». Maybe Goa is different but I’ve visited over 45 countries and India had the most self-centered people I’ve ever met. They don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves. It makes sense since they live in the second most populous country and they need to fend for themselves. I hated India so I’m biased. My vote: Nepal or the Philippines if you want an awesome cultural experience.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Have my tickets for a short trip in Baku, Azerbaijan and Tbilisi, Georgia. Anyone in here who visited those places?
I was born in Tbilisi and spent first 9 years of my life there. While that was back in the 80's, and things have changed drastically since, I could confidently tell you that it's a beautiful place to experience. I've been back about 3 years ago and will be going again this summer.

Curious about Tbilisi,but probably not the most recommended destination for some.
What makes you say that? It's a very popular tourist destination these days with wonderful sights. There are no safety concerns visiting Tbilisi outside of common sense one should always apply while traveling.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
I was born in Tbilisi and spent first 9 years of my life there. While that was back in the 80's, and things have changed drastically since, I could confidently tell you that it's a beautiful place to experience. I've been back about 3 years ago and will be going again this summer.

What makes you say that? It's a very popular tourist destination these days with wonderful sights. There are no safety concerns visiting Tbilisi outside of common sense one should always apply while traveling.

Any particular places to see/visit, spots to eat, experiences to try? I'll probably try a local guide just to cover the basics but never hurts to ask. Thanks for the feedback!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've been drinking and eating non-stop for the last week or so in Bangkok, Thailand. This city never sleeps seemingly. Until 3-4AM there are plenty of food vendors in the streets and beer is flowing. It's all cheap as dirt as well.

This is my first time in Southern Thailand. I still prefer Chiang Mai, but Bangkok isn't bad by any means.
How long you there for? I might head back there next weekend.
Bangkok is awesome.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Any particular places to see/visit, spots to eat, experiences to try? I'll probably try a local guide just to cover the basics but never hurts to ask. Thanks for the feedback!
Make sure you visit the Old Town. Just take a stroll through it and enjoy yourself. Find a small wine bar and sample local red wines (some of the best in the world). Make sure you have at least one meal at any of the khinkali houses (khinkali is a local variation of a soup dumpling; lamb is the filling you want to go for most of all). Take a sulphur bath to relax. Visit Mtatsminda Park to get a great view of the entire city.

Are you confined to Tbilisi only while in Georgia? Because, if not, you must visit Vardzia. It's one of the most breathtaking sights I've ever seen anywhere.

P.S. Oh, and watch out for "chacha" (local spirit that can be as strong as 60% ABV). That will put you on your ass quicker than you think! Georgians are very serious when it comes to drinking rituals. If someone offers you a shot of chacha it is considered an insult to turn it down. The peer pressure applied to one to keep drinking is immense. Don't say I didn't warn you. :laugh:

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
How long you there for? I might head back there next weekend.
Bangkok is awesome.
I'm headed back on Tuesday.

You're right, I've been enjoying myself a great deal while here. Maybe even a little too much because I just woke up and am still feeling exhausted from all the partying I've done for the last week. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad