OT: The Travel Thread

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You're lucky to have a spouse/partner that's in to that,I never had that type. Did much more when single with friends.

Ever done Milford sound in NZ? It's regarded as one of the top to be done.I got lucky when I was there,it rained very little!
Never went to NZ, most of my hikes have been done around the american north east, since I havent travelled too much.

NZ is one of my future destination for sure, havent decided where Im going yet later this summer but its a big possibility its going to be NZ. Ill look into it.

My GF is into it but shes an anxious person at heart, for the tougher ones or ones that are a bit longer or require more preparation she kind of gets overwhelmed. Its one of the reason we havent done Katahdin or Mt. Washington yet. It takes a good bit of convincing if its a multiday treck.

Gotta say that her favorite is by far overlanding though, as it requires less physical stress :laugh:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Never went to NZ, most of my hikes have been done around the american north east, since I havent travelled too much.

NZ is one of my future destination for sure, havent decided where Im going yet later this summer but its a big possibility its going to be NZ. Ill look into it.

My GF is into it but shes an anxious person at heart, for the tougher ones or ones that are a bit longer or require more preparation she kind of gets overwhelmed. Its one of the reason we havent done Katahdin or Mt. Washington yet. It takes a good bit of convincing if its a multiday treck.

Gotta say that her favorite is by far overlanding though, as it requires less physical stress :laugh:

Well there are plenty close to Montreal,if that's where you are,Northeast has very nice ones. Did part of the Appalachian years ago,but I heard,depending where,not so safe any more.

Nz is pretty,but can be cool,depending where,and wet.Food not great,but feel very very safe there,too safe almost,like being conned.

At least you have someone that is willing,so many more things open this way.

Always trekking or incorporate bikes?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Would you add to take inoculations etc? I took precautions as I do anywhere I go,but still ended up with malaria.

Sorry to hear that, but as for shots, not sure. The only thing I am sure of is that your GP could give you better advice than me. I imagine the answer would also depend on your immunization records.

Personally, I have gung-ho'd it on trips to Indonesia/the Phillippines, and I've also taken shots for a trip through South America. Came out of the former no worse for the wear, although I certainly wouldn't recommend that approach as I was just young and cheap.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
You're lucky to have a spouse/partner that's in to that,I never had that type. Did much more when single with friends.

Ever done Milford sound in NZ? It's regarded as one of the top to be done.I got lucky when I was there,it rained very little!

I was in NZ in 1988 for a month, I spent 5 months in Australia as well. NZ is so beautiful and very friendly. I went on a hike on the northern part of the South Island, going from alpine terrain to subtropical rain forest and I noticed there were a lot of yellow jackets, apparently they had arrived on a boat in the 1930s and there was hardly anything that ate them from the local fauna. I also did the Milford Sound but unfortunately it was raining all the time so it was a bit less astonishing. I watched the All Blacks beat the Aussies in Rugby in "windy" Wellington. The 60 Mile Beach on the North Island is nice as well.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Sorry to hear that, but as for shots, not sure. The only thing I am sure of is that your GP could give you better advice than me. I imagine the answer would also depend on your immunization records.

Personally, I have gung-ho'd it on trips to Indonesia/the Phillippines, and I've also taken shots for a trip through South America. Came out of the former no worse for the wear, although I certainly wouldn't recommend that approach as I was just young and cheap.

I'm used to it,it comes and goes.Must stay on top of some shots,for precautions,but they last a good 10 years.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was in NZ in 1988 for a month, I spent 5 months in Australia as well. NZ is so beautiful and very friendly. I went on a hike on the northern part of the South Island, going from alpine terrain to subtropical rain forest and I noticed there were a lot of yellow jackets, apparently they had arrived on a boat in the 1930s and there was hardly anything that ate them from the local fauna. I also did the Milford Sound but unfortunately it was raining all the time so it was a bit less astonishing. I watched the All Blacks beat the Aussies in Rugby in "windy" Wellington. The 60 Mile Beach on the North Island is nice as well.

So surprised it rained at Milford.lol. I grew up in the Netherlands,and we thought it rained a lot,but then I went to NZ.lol.But it is a beautiful country,yellow jackets a side.Rugby matches there are fun,also leanred to play cricket there,fun,kind of.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How much does an All-black game set you back ? I have been looking at NZ for a while and it didn't even occur to me that this was something I'd love.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How much does an All-black game set you back ? I have been looking at NZ for a while and it didn't even occur to me that this was something I'd love.

In league play it is much less than a qualifying match,regular match varies of course,from 40 NZ to over 100 NZ.NZ is not cheap, I wanted to buy a NZ wool sweater,but it is cheaper in Montreal. Everything there is like Europe,taxes in,so the price you see......and tipping is also included.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
So surprised it rained at Milford.lol. I grew up in the Netherlands,and we thought it rained a lot,but then I went to NZ.lol.But it is a beautiful country,yellow jackets a side.Rugby matches there are fun,also leanred to play cricket there,fun,kind of.

Netherlands! Well I dated a girl from Amsterdam (I am Swedish) for over a year when I was young many moons ago, I worked as a train traffic controller and I had free train travels and used to take a sleeper from Stockholm to Copenhagen and a day train from Denmark to Amsterdam. I used to go to a Dutch store here in Oregon to find salty licorice, best salty licorice in the world.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

It was cheap then but it was a long way ago but the stadium, was filled with people screaming things like "Your motha was a fecking dingo you aussie shite". I hitchhiked from Rotorua (town with geysers and rotten egg smell) to Wellington (about 6-7 hours) and the people who gave us a lift was so nice they helped us find sleeping quarters in Wellington although it was quite late.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It was cheap then but it was a long way ago but the stadium, was filled with people screaming things like "Your motha was a fecking dingo you aussie ****e". I hitchhiked from Rotorua (town with geysers and rotten egg smell) to Wellington (about 6-7 hours) and the people who gave us a lift was so nice they helped us find sleeping quarters in Wellington although it was quite late.
'Kay I want to go :laugh:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I to
I can do a bit more,been surfing off and on forever just not a thing that I go out of my way for,but if waves and a board is available, I'll hang ten from time to time.The main reason I go North is that a buddy of mine sets us up good at the Turtle resort.
nice! I totally get it, that’s a nice area to stay in!

I’m just so into Maui, the food, the people...the surf. I could live here for sure .

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Hey my guys/gals, I'm going to be doing a quick hop over to Norway to hike and tent the Gudbrandsdalen path this summer. Experienced traveller, but not an experienced pilgrim or multi-week hiker. Has anyone had an opportunity to try St. Olav's paths or another similar thru-hike or pilgrimage?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Netherlands! Well I dated a girl from Amsterdam (I am Swedish) for over a year when I was young many moons ago, I worked as a train traffic controller and I had free train travels and used to take a sleeper from Stockholm to Copenhagen and a day train from Denmark to Amsterdam. I used to go to a Dutch store here in Oregon to find salty licorice, best salty licorice in the world.

You talking about drop? I know a few places in Ottawa,if that's convenient. what's happening in Oregon BTW

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Hey my guys/gals, I'm going to be doing a quick hop over to Norway to hike and tent the Gudbrandsdalen path this summer. Experienced traveller, but not an experienced pilgrim or multi-week hiker. Has anyone had an opportunity to try St. Olav's paths or another similar thru-hike or pilgrimage?

my gf did the san camino in spain or wtv it's called. My best advice to you is to get a good quality walking stick.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
'Kay I want to go :laugh:
Just be careful when the All Blacks do their Haka it flips a switch in some of their fans to go a little crazy too, have seen some good scraps in the stands when they are playing the Wallabies

If you go to the South Island make sure to check out Queenstown, beautiful spot with lots of adventure activities. On the North Island the Waitoma Caves were one of my favourites

Reactions: Mrb1p

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just be careful when the All Blacks do their Haka it flips a switch in some of their fans to go a little crazy too, have seen some good scraps in the stands when they are playing the Wallabies

If you go to the South Island make sure to check out Queenstown, beautiful spot with lots of adventure activities. On the North Island the Waitoma Caves were one of my favourites

Saw a few Kiwis,Maoris that is,do Haka in a friends Cafe in Amsterdam,I thought it was great and fun,but the were so gone and they just kept being boisterous that the pure locals took exception........

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Heard for a long time to check out Dubai,finally could swing it for a few days en-route and not sure what they all be saying. No offense,but not for me,felt gouged for everything and not genuinely welcome,but that could be me.

Two disappointing stops including Bali,been a while since last time at Kuta beach. Looks more poor and dirty now. Just might have to try Okinawa a bit longer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->