OT: The Travel Thread

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know this is an old post but I was in Maui a year ago and it is breathtaking! However, I took my rental and drove around the island and I was trembling with fear on a tiny road on the northeast part where I had to meet cars with basically 5 centimeters between our car and the approaching ones and maybe 50-100 cm to steep cliffs on the right side.
On road to Hana ? I loved that part, the camp grounds at wainapanapea was absolutely beautiful. I miss Maui every damn day.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Anyone ever been to San Francisco ? I'm thinking of going in May for a conference, but I'm curious if anyones ever been and if they liked their visit.

I was there in 2010 (drove), the Wharf is great with some great seafood but otherwise the traffic is bad and the charm wears off quite fast. Now if not driving, I am pretty sure it will be interesting. I have an anecdote about a Swedish friend who traveled around the US in the 80s and when he came to SF he had an old guide book and went to visit what he thought was rock music club, there were apparently new owners and one he got in he noticed a lot of men dressed like the Village People and he wore a red neckerchief (handkerchief tied around the neck) and apparently the color of it meant what kind of stuff you were into. His neckerchief color meant he was into everything! Oh well it all ended fine when some guy saw he was confused and told him what kind of club it was.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
On road to Hana ? I loved that part, the camp grounds at wainapanapea was absolutely beautiful. I miss Maui every damn day.

Yes indeed. It's also nice how when you get to higher elevations how much cooler it gets, we actually looked at some houses (southwest) at higher elevations and the view was amazing!

Reactions: Mrb1p

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Anyone ever been to San Francisco ? I'm thinking of going in May for a conference, but I'm curious if anyones ever been and if they liked their visit.

I've been there a couple of times and absolutely loved it. If you go to Fisherman's Wharf, check out the Buena Vista. They claim to be the originators of Irish coffee in the US and every bartender there was in his 60s, or more.

I tipped really well from my bar stool and got free Irish coffees and shots. Didn't eat, but the food from the simple menu looked good.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Mrb1p

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
SF is home of Ghiardelli so just for that I loved it.

We walked a lot in the city and didn't look at the food scene, but I enjoyed my time in SF. Alcatraz was cool, too. I can see why some people would say it's boring, but doing the tour at night added to the experience.

AT&T is cool as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How does Maui compare to the North shore of Oahu? I stop there on my way back from NZ.
I've spent a day on Oahu, so I'm not the most informed on the ins and out of the island, but from what I've seen it's a lot more like the "new york" to Maui's.... Literally any place you' want to be that is not New york. Oahu is crowded (And I went in october, which is low season.) and has a lot of concrete everywhere... Which is odd... Meanwhile Maui has one "concrete" part and it's Kahului, the surrounding areas are beaches, boardwalks and jungle... Which is a lot more my jam than what is on Oahu.

I feel that Maui/Big Island/Kaui/Molokai capture the "aloha" spirit a lot more than Oahu.

God, only Hawaii could make me speak like that :laugh:

Reactions: groovejuice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've been there a couple of times and absolutely loved it. If you go to Fisherman's Wharf, check out the Buena Vista. They claim to be the originators of Irish coffee in the US and every bartender there was in his 60s, or more.

I tipped really well from my bar stool and got free Irish coffees and shots. Didn't eat, but the food from the simple menu looked good.
The food scene looks really nice in SF, that much I'd admit.

Reactions: groovejuice

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm convinced, I'm buying my tickets this week.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yeah, I'm convinced, I'm buying my tickets this week.

You'll love SF. It's more cosmopolitan then a lot of major US cities. There's a fantastic dance, art and music scene there as well. The food is extraordinary.

If you go to the Buena Vista, you must sit at the bar. It's a joy to watch the geezers line up the stemmed glasses rim to rim in the gutter and starting with the sugar followed by the Irish whiskey, coffee and soft whipped cream go left to right and right to left with each ingredient at the speed of sound, while continuously pouring. IE. the whiskey bottle stays in the inverted position while shots are poured down the line. It's magnificent!

Reactions: Andrei79

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've spent a day on Oahu, so I'm not the most informed on the ins and out of the island, but from what I've seen it's a lot more like the "new york" to Maui's.... Literally any place you' want to be that is not New york. Oahu is crowded (And I went in october, which is low season.) and has a lot of concrete everywhere... Which is odd... Meanwhile Maui has one "concrete" part and it's Kahului, the surrounding areas are beaches, boardwalks and jungle... Which is a lot more my jam than what is on Oahu.

I feel that Maui/Big Island/Kaui/Molokai capture the "aloha" spirit a lot more than Oahu.

God, only Hawaii could make me speak like that :laugh:

Thanks for the info. I agree Waikiki is way too crowed,ruins the spirit of it all somehow,just another US city. Was curious because having been to a few south pacific islands,not at all like Oahu,much prefer the laid back Polynesian style.

Reactions: Mrb1p

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A first class tuna poké may be the singular best uncooked dish on the planet.
There's no poké I ate while in hawaii that wasn't great. The best was at a small groceries in a metal shed though. I don't remember the name exactly.
Certainly better than anywhere else I had in Montreal,but still the best for me is in Japan,they are wizards with tuna.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anybody been to Belize? We are thinking about vacationing there this winter

Well it definitely feels and looks safer than the neighbors in Honduras,but caution is still required. Guess it depends on what type of vacation you want.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
That's why I go to the North,but won't do the Banzai in winter time,crazy huge waves!
, I don’t know what level of surfer you are but if you are intermediate (4-8ft waves) there are also tons of those on Maui. Less crowded as well, which is nice and in general the locals are really friendly in the water, if you respect the « rules ».

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad