OT: The Travel Thread

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
A neighbor was just raving about the beaches at Sandbanks and told me it’s only 4 hours by car from Montreal and all you need is to book an Airbnb.

What is the most popular beach in Sandbanks?

Outlet Beach

Sandbanks Provincial Park

Outlet Beach is the most widely known. With its expansive, two-kilometre-long shoreline, soft, white sand and rolling waves, thousands flock here each summer. 750,000 of them, in fact.

Has anyone been? Any tips? What’s an ideal number of days to spend there?

I’ve been craving for a beach for the longest time. Since I can’t take a week off to go to Riviera Maya, I was wondering if a few days at Sandbanks would do the trick.

We live in the area. This is a great place to stay that is a hidden gem, with a semi-private beach just offshore, warm, crystal clear water, as good as Sandbanks, 2 km also, without the crowds.

There are dozens of things to do in the area, 45 wineries, cideries, microbreweries, and great restos, so the longer you stay the better.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Going to Jamaica for the first in February.

Any do's and don't's? Any special places to see? People have told me to stay clear of Kingston. A lot of violence and poverty, they say.
Here's a few heads up,,Everybody knows to avoid Kingston,We once went with a friend that was from there originally,Mobay, and even he and his family won't go there. Have to ask why Jamaica with the current climate there. Negril has the best beach and the area is safer that Mobay. I know friends that have been robbed by their taxi driver and even the tour guide,take an excursion through your place of residence,might be safer. More than a few have had their rooms ransacked and the safes were opened. Don't waste your time and money on golfing,terrible conditions and a total ripoff. Get your weed or hash from where you're staying if that's your bag. Dunn's river falls, which in near Ocho,which is pretty good and safe also,but still be on guard,is great to experience,bring bug spray! but it's a hike from Negril.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I didn’t go anywhere as exotic as some of you are discussing but I just came back from a Bahamas cruise a few weeks ago. FWIW, I felt completely safe and no concerns about covid. I can’t speak about the more recent variants making the news, but we had a great time and the weather was beautiful.

I sailed on the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas and we went to Nassau and Coco Cay. For those who have cruised, as you probably agree, the food was wonderful as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2295.jpeg
    IMG_2295.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2341.jpeg
    IMG_2341.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2144.jpeg
    IMG_2144.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 1

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was in Morin Heights recently with a friend who knows someone who has a house overlooking a lake. We ended up spending a good part of the afternoon with him, turns out everyone knows him as he is the only owner who regularly walks around that lake, so he made a lot of friends.

Fascinating individual, he retired at 38. Had lived in Paris but decided he had enough and for what was the price of a studio apartment in Paris at the time of his retirement (he’s probably in his 70s now), he bought his Morin Heights home.

Since he doesn’t like our winters, he rents out his house in the winter months and travels to warmer climes. He told me that one of those places he spent considerable time at last year was Serbia. Says he was stunned by the low cost of living, quality food and affordable health services. Very safe environment and lots to do.

Says he’s going back this year but would never consider buying as it’s never a good idea being an absentee owner. His approach is that if he’s leasing, then he’s protected as the owner of the property will do all in his power to deal with any irritant or unforeseen situation in order to protect the revenue stream this gentleman provides as a lessee.

Serbia? Gotta admit I would have never even considered it as a destination. Anyone experienced it?

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was in Morin Heights recently with a friend who knows someone who has a house overlooking a lake. We ended up spending a good part of the afternoon with him, turns out everyone knows him as he is the only owner who regularly walks around that lake, so he made a lot of friends.

Fascinating individual, he retired at 38. Had lived in Paris but decided he had enough and for what was the price of a studio apartment in Paris at the time of his retirement (he’s probably in his 70s now), he bought his Morin Heights home.

Since he doesn’t like our winters, he rents out his house in the winter months and travels to warmer climes. He told me that one of those places he spent considerable time at last year was Serbia. Says he was stunned by the low cost of living, quality food and affordable health services. Very safe environment and lots to do.

Says he’s going back this year but would never consider buying as it’s never a good idea being an absentee owner. His approach is that if he’s leasing, then he’s protected as the owner of the property will do all in his power to deal with any irritant or unforeseen situation in order to protect the revenue stream this gentleman provides as a lessee.

Serbia? Gotta admit I would have never even considered it as a destination. Anyone experienced it?
NGL, never even entertained the idea of Serbia.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I am thinking on retiring to warmer country. Possibly Portugal.
Third person I have seen talk about this in the last month. Parts of Portugal are fairly still inexpensive.

Always remember health insurance costs when retiring abroad. My friend is looking to get his EEC passport through his Italian nationality in order to cover that...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

They still haven't changed the name to Molson Heights?

Serbia's past and geopolitical position makes it a place I would not visit. Rather would go to Malaysia or Thailand if I want quality, good food and rent at a low price. Year round sunshine and beaches, to boot. Will be moving there, hopefuly in max 10 years. Probably close to KL, even though Malaysians aren't big dog lovers. We'll rent from a Chinese owner as they often live in neighborhoods where dogs are more accepted.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They still haven't changed the name to Molson Heights?

Serbia's past and geopolitical position makes it a place I would not visit. Rather would go to Malaysia or Thailand if I want quality, good food and rent at a low price. Year round sunshine and beaches, to boot. Will be moving there, hopefuly in max 10 years. Probably close to KL, even though Malaysians aren't big dog lovers. We'll rent from a Chinese owner as they often live in neighborhoods where dogs are more accepted.
Next time I go to Morin Heights, I’m going to try and locate the recording studio where Rush and others famously recorded. It apparently was not in Morin Heights but close to it. Was fully demolished only in 2020:

Le Studio (later renamed Studio Morin Heights) was a residential recording studio in the Laurentian Mountains near the town of Morin-Heights, Quebec, Canada built in 1972 by recording engineer and producer André Perry, Nick Blagona and Yaël Brandeis. The studio with a Trident console where artists recorded and stayed, was the venue for many notable Canadian and international artists, including Rush (it was nicknamed "Rush's Abbey Road"), The Police, Bee Gees, Chicago, David Bowie, April Wine and Cat Stevens and Vain. Perry described the facility as "like the United Nations. I had people from London, New York, Quebec, all over the world."

Renowned for its retreat-like location as well as its state-of-the-art equipment,[3] it was one of the earliest studios to install a Solid State LogicSL 4000 B mixing console and RADAR digital-recording equipment.[4] Perry sold the studio in 1988. In 2008 the studio had gone out of business, and as of 2015 the property was up for sale.[5] On 11 August 2017, the building was partially destroyed by "a suspicious" fire.[2]The entirety of the complex was demolished in 2020.[6] (…)

The house and grounds are featured in the music videos of the recording sessions of the Rush songs "Tom Sawyer",[1] "Limelight" and "Vital Signs".[20] The studio is also seen in April Wine's music video for "I Like to Rock." Also, an episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids was taped there, with Elisha Cuthbertdemonstrating recording and mixing techniques.[21]

This Rush clip is from there:

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Next time I go to Morin Heights, I’m going to try and locate the recording studio where Rush and others famously recorded. It apparently was not in Morin Heights but close to it. Was fully demolished only in 2020:

Le Studio (later renamed Studio Morin Heights) was a residential recording studio in the Laurentian Mountains near the town of Morin-Heights, Quebec, Canada built in 1972 by recording engineer and producer André Perry, Nick Blagona and Yaël Brandeis. The studio with a Trident console where artists recorded and stayed, was the venue for many notable Canadian and international artists, including Rush (it was nicknamed "Rush's Abbey Road"), The Police, Bee Gees, Chicago, David Bowie, April Wine and Cat Stevens and Vain. Perry described the facility as "like the United Nations. I had people from London, New York, Quebec, all over the world."

Renowned for its retreat-like location as well as its state-of-the-art equipment,[3] it was one of the earliest studios to install a Solid State LogicSL 4000 B mixing console and RADAR digital-recording equipment.[4] Perry sold the studio in 1988. In 2008 the studio had gone out of business, and as of 2015 the property was up for sale.[5] On 11 August 2017, the building was partially destroyed by "a suspicious" fire.[2]The entirety of the complex was demolished in 2020.[6] (…)

The house and grounds are featured in the music videos of the recording sessions of the Rush songs "Tom Sawyer",[1] "Limelight" and "Vital Signs".[20] The studio is also seen in April Wine's music video for "I Like to Rock." Also, an episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids was taped there, with Elisha Cuthbertdemonstrating recording and mixing techniques.[21]

My cousin painted the apartments next to the studio in the 80's

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Serbia would be an awesome place to travel to, plenty of history and a great place to booze if that's your thing. I've never personally been but I know people who have and they don't have any complaints.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Serbia would be an awesome place to travel to, plenty of history and a great place to booze if that's your thing. I've never personally been but I know people who have and they don't have any complaints.
A couple of my fellow chefs have ventured in the balkans and they swear by it. Both for the food, people and culture. Its on my short list after I graduate.

Reactions: David Suzuki

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
I heard great things about Bali. You can live cheaply in a rented hut on a beach (20 some dollars a day) and eat exquisite food that is very affordable. I know someone who did it for over 3 months and loved her experience.

Anyone been there?
Bali is greatly overrated. And it's really not that nice of a place. There's a lot of white privilege attitudes that make people think they can do this, but Balinese aren't big fans. Additionally, there's a very real and growing contingency of extreme Islamic law sweeping the land and trust me, you don't want to be around when it comes through.

I agree with everything y'all saying about Vietnam. I originally sent because of the Top Gear special where they ride motorcycles from HCMC to ha long bay. I did Hanoi to hoi an by train (going to ha long bay first) and it was probably the best thing I've ever done in my life. Vietnam is a truly special special place.

I originally moved to Singapore for the purpose of traveling around SEA but I've just passed the 8 years mark so... Singapore is obviously an anomaly in Asia. Its wildly too expensive, but does give you the best starting location to go anywhere.

Thailand is probably where I will end up retiring.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My daughter got bumped from a flight on standby and will be spending the next few days in Rome.

Any suggestions for good but affordable hotels and restaurants?

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
My daughter got bumped from a flight on standby and will be spending the next few days in Rome.

Any suggestions for good but affordable hotels and restaurants?

It depends on what you want to eat and where you will eventually stay, if you need advice write me in private ...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It depends on what you want to eat and where you will eventually stay, if you need advice write me in private ...
Thanks for the kind response. She managed to book a flight out, tomorrow. Will definitely keep it in mind next time.

Reactions: Incubajerks

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004

Love this pic of Neil at le Studio
1695473356222.png

Reactions: Runner77 and Fenris

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad