OT: The Travel Thread

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Maui, probably the best one. The true spirit of "Aloha" imo. Maybe Molokai, but thats tougher. Ive went on Oahu for a day and it was honestly terrible, the difference between Oahu and the other islands (my guess, and the locals on Maui that Ive spoken to.) Is huge. The feeling is not close.

And it is spectacular, 3000 meter volcano on one side, 1000 meter peaks with lush forest on it on the other side. Beaches everywhere, surfers, pokés, shaved ice and the whole cali vibe with an Aloha vibe.

I agree. It would really depend on what someone is looking for. Oahu is basically Nassau in Hawaii and Waikiki is totally swamped with people. It's not much different than some areas of Florida. Maui is stunning but overcrowded. There's a lot to do on the island and places to see but bumper to bumper traffic on your way to Kahului and the crowds in Lahaina, Kaanapali and Wailea are a turn off. That said, the road to Hana is a blast and Maui's geography is breathtaking.

Kaui is relatively quiet and has its own funky laid back vibe. This is were you'd see some real Aloha spirit, imo, since it's less touristy. Ditto Molokai. My favourite is the Big Island. It's unique, the people are great and, with the exception of Waikoloa, is less of a beach type place. The volcanoes are something else however ( Keck Observatory and the eruptions are a must see) and Hilo is quite lovely. The coffee on the Big Island is outstanding as is the pakalolo...

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The architecture, the influence of Chinese and Islamic culture compared to the Hindu temples. The botanical gardens, the way the city transforms at night, it's just a very diverse mix of cultures and religions that I don't think is replicated anywhere else in Asia.

I've never heard of Patagonia cave diving before! I just looked it up and yep, definitely a must do. What licensing do I need?

Cavern Diver | PADI

This is a specialty course and I can't remember now if it requires open water diver license. I think it does if memory serves me correctly.

You can try and cave-dive without any training, but I would not suggest that. In fact, most recognized dive shops in Patagonia will refuse to accommodate your dives without a proof of prior, specialty training. It is simply too dangerous otherwise.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
IMG_4957.jpg IMG_5077.jpg IMG_5143.jpg

Reactions: Mrb1p and Runner77

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
quick Q, Mexican friend of mine told me about edreams, he use it all the time to buy tickets, says it's popular down there.

Anyone used this website/app ? is it good, trustworthy, etc ?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Iceland holds a magnetic attraction for me. Anywhere North is fine by me. I can't take the heat anymore. My ex almost got a teaching job in Salluit this fall and I was so looking forward to visiting her. I was at James Bay in the 70's and I loved it, especially the skies at night. Amazing.
I lived in the Yukon for one full year 89-90 and it was a blast, 24 hours of sunlight in the summer and plenty of outdoor parties, it was a small mining town but full of young people and recreational enjoyments lol. It got down in the -50s at times in the winter though with very limited amounts of daylight.

Reactions: peate and Mrb1p

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
quick Q, Mexican friend of mine told me about edreams, he use it all the time to buy tickets, says it's popular down there.

Anyone used this website/app ? is it good, trustworthy, etc ?

Never heard of it, but it seems like it's a spanish business. Could be why it's popular in Mexico.

Reactions: ECWHSWI

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I lived in the Yukon for one full year 89-90 and it was a blast, 24 hours of sunlight in the summer and plenty of outdoor parties, it was a small mining town but full of young people and recreational enjoyments lol. It got down in the -50s at times in the winter though with very limited amounts of daylight.
I have a buddy who's in Whitehorse and he loves it. He's a bass player and never short of gigs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just saw several posts elsewhere that I thought, would have been very appropriate for this thread. So, I'm reposting them here, in case someone wants to pick up on them further:

In March it'll be 3 years. I just signed lease on new place for another year, so definitely planning to do at least one more year. But man, it'll be tough to leave if things keep going as they have been.
Winter lasts 2-3 months and the coldest it's been so far was like 7...Right now it's perfect season, low humidity, rarely ever rains, lots of sunshine, around 25-27 degrees. One of the locations I cover is 10 minute walk from my place. I go into work when I decide, usually between 10-11h30...leave as it sees fit. I work directly with owners of the company and they have full trust in me so that's why I get as much leeway. If I feel like hitting the beach, I can get there within 20min..if I want to go hiking...same thing...if I want the city jungle..just a stop away..Have a sick view of the Victoria Harbour..It's so pretty..
Wanna party?..Done. Wanna by foodie experience..so many places.
Top all this off with a pretty good salary and traveling around Asia is sick. Gonna be tough to beat man, loving it here. Everything seems to be working for me.
This is pretty much my view..every night.
depositphotos_147593729-stock-photo-hong-kong-island-victoria-harbour.jpg

Problem here is it's such a transit city. People come and go, so difficult to make longterm friends. So many people here on 1-3 year contracts.
If ever I do leave, I'd look into living in Thailand for a bit. If not that, I know I can get hooked up in Gulf countries like Dubai or Qatar, but that wouldn't be my preference. Definitely not coming back to live in Mtl anytime soon though. Life was just too dull for me there.

I’ve travelled a bit in Asia....when I was in Sri Lanka, I swear, it would be easier to have the horn just go all the time and when you don’t need it, you press on, well, the horn lol

I kid you not we passed at least 3 elephants on my way to downtown Columbo :laugh:

Many people live disgruntled and have lack of funds. If they only had a chance to experience culture in other countries. It's a different world out there!

I was in Indonesia and I saw a guy working the street as a stop light. When there were multiple cars turning left onto oncoming traffic, he would jump in front of the oncoming traffic and let the people turning left go.... they would give him 10 cents, quarters, etc as they passed by. That's how he made his living. About $10-$20 bucks a day. Crazy!

Took me 1 hour to go 15 km to work and I hired a driver after the 1st day lol. He never took the same path to work in the month I was there. Crazy traffic!

Edit: When I say left, I mean right. lol.

Maldives looks beautiful but it's a honeymoon destination...Not sure I'd be able to live there..haha I still am quite the city slicker.

Sri Lanka is awesome man. We skipped Colombo, but did Negombo, Sigiriya, Kandy, Ella, Weligama, Gale.
Would love to go back and check out the North-West side.

And I also passed elephants on the way to Gale..lol Even got out to take pictures with it.

This is how I became Expat. Japan, then Germany, then North Carolina, and finally Virginia. I miss my family, but I'm not really homesick, especially when I read about major highway portions getting closed off. Edit: may have a conference in Shenzhen next year btw.

Went back home in October to surprise my mom for her 70th, I swear the roads and construction is worse than I've ever seen it. I'm not ready to head back there.
Not sure how you do the states, I feel I'd hate it there.

Montreal's doing the big-dig, a la Boston about 15 years ago. Do everything at once, turn the city into a third-world hellhole, piss everyone off, and then (hopefully) emerge with a clean and functional infrastructure in a couple of years.

Been reading your posts -- nice to hear you're in that sweet-spot in your life: Location, job, money, freedom. Sounds amazing. Life goes fast... enjoy every day, man!

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My Israel trip was surprisingly good. Some amazing vistas there, especially around the Dead Sea.

In London, UK right now for work. Traveling to Querétaro, Mexico next week to visit another one of our offices.

Four countries across 4 continents in straight succession for me in about 3 weeks when it's all said and done. So thankful I get to travel as much as I do.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know what it's going to take to get some posters to join us in this thread, rather than offering their travel thoughts in hockey threads.

@jaffy27 , you're always flying somewhere. How do we get you in here?

Same for several others who are habitual travelers or have had unique, enjoyable experiences. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@Runner77

Since you started this thread, care to share some of your most memorable travel destinations with the rest of us?

I'm not as well-traveled as most in this thread.

My best trips were to Italy, where I studied Italian culture and language for a couple of months. I stayed in Florence and can't say enough good things about it. Everywhere you look there is something that wows you. Could be an old statue, streets of cobblestone, ancient buildings, several with yellowed and orange faded facades that blend so well with nature.

In Florence, I particularly enjoyed Ponte Vecchio, an old bridge (medieval) as the name suggests that houses several small boutiques operating from structures from another time and whose state is remarkably in good order. During the day, it's about boutiques. And at night, there is a lot of music happening on the bridge well past midnight.

I was fortunate during my time on Ponte Vecchio where I witnessed a couple getting married in the middle of the Arno river, where the bride and groom each made their way just below the bridge in their own boats, and a priest then joined them from his own boat. And soon after, the wedding party arrived, in a series of boats that were attached to each other to witness the wedding ceremony smack dab in the middle of the river. And once the priest had declared them married, the bride and groom left in one of the boats and you could see them motoring all the way to shore, whereupon they both embarked on a motorcyle and sped off into the night. Stunningly beautiful.

ponte-vecchio-florence-travel-guide.jpg

There are also the Uffizi Galleries where you'll find some of the most prized paintings in the world and from the best Italian masters, well worth an afternoon.

And I spent many an evening at Piazza della Signoria, a ginormous open space where there would be a lot of music, dancing, artwork, artisinal products and just watching people go by. It remains lively until way past midnight and the beauty of it is when the noise level goes down in the evening, you have guitar players giving performances in the corridors about the Piazza and the sound is out of this world.

1200px-Piazza_Signoria_-_Firenze.jpg

You can see the giant statue of Michelangelo in the above pic, it's a replica of the real one that Michelangelo sculpted and that is kept in a remote, enclosed location.

Couldn't get enough of Italian espressos and trattorias. Florence is part of the region of Tuscany, which is known for its gastronomy.

When you go, you'll find out that they don't allow cars to the city, only taxis have the privilege. If you're renting a car, you'll have to dump it at a 24-hour underground parking, located in the perimeter of Florence and then call a cab to get you in.

The neat part about Florence is its proximity to several other points of interest that you can do as one day trips. One of them is the town of San Gimignano, where there are a lot of 12th century structures that time has been kind to. I understand that it's maintained its original charm as it was one of the few old towns that wasn't destroyed by WW2 bombers. Everything about it is enchanting.

I remember asking directions to someone in Italy and at one point, his instructions became quite complicated. So, when I looked at him puzzled at the intricacy of his directions, he said something I never forgot: "Don't worry about it. If you get lost, the place that you'll end up in, is going to be even more beautiful than the place that you intended to get to." :laugh:

Truer words were never spoken. Literally anywhere you end up at, is eye candy. I can't say enough about it. Or maybe I just did. :D

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Headed to the Phillipines for Xmas..My girl wants to do shark diving, so plan is to go to Malapascua Island. Apparently it's very nice.

Make sure she times the dive around her period, if you want to make it back alive. I used to have my PADI, some clueless female would bring in the sharks a little too close, if you know what I mean.

If things go south, can I have your Username?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Make sure she times the dive around her period, if you want to make it back alive. I used to have my PADI, some clueless female would bring in the sharks a little too close, if you know what I mean.

If things go south, can I have your Username?
Lol...she's going diving. I have zero interest in diving around sharks. Literally, zero, but I'll tell her. Lol.
Sorry, I'll have to keep my username...

Reactions: Habs

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I agree. It would really depend on what someone is looking for. Oahu is basically Nassau in Hawaii and Waikiki is totally swamped with people. It's not much different than some areas of Florida. Maui is stunning but overcrowded. There's a lot to do on the island and places to see but bumper to bumper traffic on your way to Kahului and the crowds in Lahaina, Kaanapali and Wailea are a turn off. That said, the road to Hana is a blast and Maui's geography is breathtaking.

Kaui is relatively quiet and has its own funky laid back vibe. This is were you'd see some real Aloha spirit, imo, since it's less touristy. Ditto Molokai. My favourite is the Big Island. It's unique, the people are great and, with the exception of Waikoloa, is less of a beach type place. The volcanoes are something else however ( Keck Observatory and the eruptions are a must see) and Hilo is quite lovely. The coffee on the Big Island is outstanding as is the pakalolo...
I go to Maui every year and I disagree. The vibe is awesome and the waves are great (if you surf).

Reactions: Mrb1p

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
So I wanted to post here a while ago but I wanted to take the time to post properly on my PC instead of on my iPhone.

I am very lucky to have the chance to travel quite a bit and would love to answer any questions for anyone. Recently our travels have focused on trekking and mountain climbing (Aconcagua, Denali next may and Rainier in january). My wife and I are working our way to eventually climbing some larger 8000m mountains in the Himalayas.

We've had the chance to visit Nepal, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Chile, Argentina, India and most western european countries except for Spain. We've been to several carribean countries as well but it's not really our cup of tea.

Often people ask me what my favorite place is and it's really hard to answer because they are so different from one another and I find that when you travel your experience hugely depends on your mood and state of mind. That being said, I cannot recommend Nepal enough if you are someone who loves the outdoors and is ready to completely immerse yourself in another world. I absolutely LOVE spending 1-2-3 weeks in the Himalayas, away from wifi, and just basking in the epic landscapes.

If you are looking for a more relax but amazing experience I recommend visiting the Philippines and try to sign up for a "tour" with Tao Philippines. Just check out this video:

I'm not the best "writer" or reviewer but if you have questions or need inspiration I would more than gladly help.

Travelling is our life!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Anyone ever been to San Francisco ? I'm thinking of going in May for a conference, but I'm curious if anyones ever been and if they liked their visit.

Reactions: groovejuice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anyone ever been to San Francisco ? I'm thinking of going in May for a conference, but I'm curious if anyones ever been and if they liked their visit.
My GF went this summer, I don't have any interest in city crawling so I stayed home. There's lots of people, that's what she came out with :laugh:

On a more serious note, she says she really liked the chinatown and seeing sea lions upclose at the wharf, plus there's a museum for arcades in there, thats what she loved.

Funny enough, one of the only thing that made me debate going or not was seeing Alcatraz, turns out it's truly boring, as per my GF and her mom.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
My GF went this summer, I don't have any interest in city crawling so I stayed home. There's lots of people, that's what she came out with :laugh:

On a more serious note, she says she really liked the chinatown and seeing sea lions upclose at the wharf, plus there's a museum for arcades in there, thats what she loved.

Funny enough, one of the only thing that made me debate going or not was seeing Alcatraz, turns out it's truly boring, as per my GF and her mom.

Sounds kind of boring lol. I was thinking of spending some time in the conference, catching up on work and tryibg out restaurants. I was thinking of taking walks at some of the parks. Not sure how accessible everything is with public transport though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sounds kind of boring lol. I was thinking of spending some time in the conference, catching up on work and tryibg out restaurants. I was thinking of taking walks at some of the parks. Not sure how accessible everything is with public transport though.
Yeah, not my cup of tea at all. i couldn't care less about most of the attraction in a city... Unless it's some kind of museum, it's not for me.

I think she mentioned a Japanese garden or something, that may be worth checking out for a walk.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I know this is an old post but I was in Maui a year ago and it is breathtaking! However, I took my rental and drove around the island and I was trembling with fear on a tiny road on the northeast part where I had to meet cars with basically 5 centimeters between our car and the approaching ones and maybe 50-100 cm to steep cliffs on the right side.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad