OT: The Travel Thread

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
9bV96OL.jpg

15399240051002253842.jpg

I was itching to put one up and finally, seeing this exchange in the Movies Thread, I thought it was a good time as any to give it a shot:

Spending some time in rural China this week and I have smuggled in exactly 3 TV shows to entertain me while I'm here: Season 1 of Fargo (before the show degraded to a point of where it stopped being watchable), "The Big C" and "Review".

Where in China are you mate?

I'm in Sichuan province, around Qingshen.

Pop down to HK if you have time, you'll enjoy the foodie life here.

I'm always intrigued by "ex-pats" and the whys and wherefores behind travel choices that you see people make.

Thought it might be interesting to know where you are planning to travel to, where you'd like to go back to and why. Maybe you've retired or are planning to retire and you're looking to move to a location completely different than the one you raised your family or where you spent most of your life.

Or maybe you're a student and you love adventure, backpacking, nature or whatever other passion. Or, you were or are fortunate enough to study abroad.

Or maybe ... you're into sports traveling. Going to watch teams that you like in other cities. What's that experience like? How often do you go? Maybe you go to Florida for spring training or you watch NFL games in Boston or NY.

What are the biggest differences between where you've been and where you are now? What do you look for in a travel destination?

Do you like to plan rigorously or do you prefer a less structured travel arrangement? What sites do you like to use? Where and when do you find your best deals?

We already have several posters who have a lot of experience abroad. Jaffy travels extensively on account of his job, Kriss E is in Hong Kong, we had VirginiaExPat the other day mentioning how he lived in Japan if I'm not mistaken and Per Sjoblom who hails from Sweden and who has been living in the US for years.

Post some pics, if you wish. You don't need to be in the pic, just the destination.

Let our collective imagination travel to where you've been or where you are or who knows, where you'll be traveling to.

Note to Jaffy: HF aircraft comes in white and silver livery, with purple lettering -- what else!!!

p.s. this thread is dedicated to the ultimate raconteur and globe-trotting intellectual of our time...

2k7cjt.jpg
2k7cs4.jpg

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm an avid traveler, and, while I'm not comfortable sharing any pictures of me while abroad, I'm very glad you started this thread. Travel is what challenges ones convictions and expands his/her horizons. It is the very enemy of stereotypes and personal bias.

I did not start visiting places out of my own curiosity (I can admit to that shamefully). My hopping around the world started of out necessity. But, since being exposed to the sheer thrill of it, I crave it more than anything else. Both myself and my only sibling realize the importance of it now, so we hop around the planet like rabies infested bunnies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm an avid traveler, and, while I'm not comfortable sharing any pictures of me while abroad, I'm very glad you started this thread. Travel is what challenges ones convictions and expands his/her horizons. It is the very enemy of stereotypes and personal bias.

I did not start visiting places out of my own curiosity (I can admit to that shamefully). My hopping around the world started of out necessity. But, since being exposed to the sheer thrill of it, I crave it more than anything else. Both myself and my only sibling realize the importance of it now, so we hop around the planet like rabies infested bunnies.

Oh, the photos part is optional even if I did share a photo of Geoff and MB that the wind blew on a beach somewhere. :D

Now, no one needs to be in the photos -- just destination shots and only if you feel like it.

I totally agree with the philosophy you espouse when it comes to travel. Something Bourdainian about it. :naughty:

If there are particular destinations that you absolutely love and would go back to without hesitation, those would be fun to get to know more about. Anything you wish to share is highly valued.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oh, the photos part is optional even if I did share a photo of Geoff and MB that the wind blew on a beach somewhere. :D

I totally agree with the philosophy you espouse when it comes to travel. Something Bourdainian about it. :naughty:

If there are particular destinations that you absolutely love and would go back to without hesitation, those would be fun to get to know more about. Anything you wish to share is highly valued.

For me it's, unquestionably, Vietnam. Specifically Northern Vietnam. If you haven't visited - you haven't lived IMO. Land in Hanoi and travel North-West by bus, car or a donkey. Suck up the air, the food and the hospitality. The sense of quiet coupled with the spectacular scenery cannot be replicated anywhere else I've been to date. It will wrangle you and will not let go for the rest of your life.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm very glad you started this thread.

It's funny you mention that cause I was thinking out loud before I started this, as to what has always captured my imagination and interest:

Music
Travel
Movies
Books
Food and drinks
Restaurant reviews

And now we have threads on this forum for all of these. My work is done here, ladies and gentlemen. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There are too many places I want to visit, and I don't have the leave, nor the money to do it all :(

Start with one. There are so many ways to travel and to do so cheaply. I'm sure there will be some great suggestions from HF posters at large.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
For me it's, unquestionably, Vietnam. Specifically Northern Vietnam. If you haven't visited - you haven't lived IMO. Land in Hanoi and travel North-West by bus, car or a donkey. Suck up the air, the food and the hospitality. The sense of quiet coupled with the spectacular scenery cannot be replicated anywhere else I've been to date. It will wrangle you and will not let go for the rest of your life.
never been myself, but every single person I know who visited this part of the world want to go back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The only account I have read about what it was like to live in Vietnam was from a Canadian who moved there to teach English. And how the streets kept changing names and how difficult it was to keep track of where you are. And then she mentioned how some humongous bugs could come out of the faucets and she had to tape them shut. I imagine that was more the result of the specific location she was staying, perhaps not a reflection of a standard one generally finds in Vietnam. I don't know.

Your trip to Hanoi -- how did you know that's where you wanted to go? Dart on a map or you did some advance research the first time? Did you have a guide or you just followed your gut?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Start with one. There are so many ways to travel and to do so cheaply. I'm sure there will be some great suggestions from HF posters at large.
it's a main concern for people who never really travelled. But if people look around, theyy all have friens/family members who arent making that much $ and yet have spent weeks or months in different parts of the world, it's possible to travel cheaply, asking about it to those friends would be a good start

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The only account I have read about what it was like to live in Vietnam was from a Canadian who moved there to teach English. And how the streets kept changing names and how difficult it was to keep track of where you are. And then she mentioned how some humongous bugs could come out of the faucets and she had to tape them shut. I imagine that was more the result of the specific location she was staying, perhaps not a reflection of a standard one generally finds in Vietnam. I don't know.

Your trip to Hanoi -- how did you know that's where you wanted to go? Dart on a map or you did some advance research the first time? Did you have a guide or you just followed your gut?

I first visited Vietnam because of you-know-who. It helped that I have a friend whose family is still in Hanoi. I stayed with them my first time around.

I remember myself first visiting Hanoi 10 or so years ago. And I hated it. All the moped noise 24/7 that didn't let me fall asleep. My first 3-5 visits to the place I didn't understand its magic. Only later it all fell into place. Now, if I'm restless I play Hanoi city noise as a white noise to help me fall aslepp.

See, the Vietnamese are very proud people. I know, it sounds weird given how many times Vietnam has been conquered in its history. But it's very true. They will not shower you with affection and love unless they get to know you and your values. Once that happens you are transformed into a dreamland. I hope some of you get to experience getting drunk at a random farm/village with a Vietnamese family who wants to share all of the little they have to offer.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Some other top travel destinations as far as my opinion is concerned:

Barcelona, Spain
Costa Rica
Beirut, Lebanon
Central and Southern Cuba (no, not the all-inclusive resorts)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I heard great things about Bali. You can live cheaply in a rented hut on a beach (20 some dollars a day) and eat exquisite food that is very affordable. I know someone who did it for over 3 months and loved her experience.

Anyone been there?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Took my first plane when I was 21 when I went to Hawaii. Got a small hole in my ear or something and had vertigo for months. Scared me off on traveling far for quite some time. I guess my body just wasn't used to handling back to back to back flights.

After I graduated university I found a job in consulting that was 100% travel. I took about 80-90 different planes in 7 months after taking 7 planes(not trips, this includes connections) my entire life beforehand. I got used to short term travel now and I'm hoping I build up to longer flights.

It's strange to some people but when you take your first plane ride as an adult you're not exactly used to it. I have no idea what it is but I love planes because they are a fantastic form of transportation but for some reason my body hates them. I dread flights over 3.5 hours.

When I eventually overcome whatever I have(maybe 20 years from now...lol) I would love to go to Europe, Italy specifically. I guess i'll start off generic.

If people have some great suggestions for Canada/US travel I'm all ears because I may be able to digest that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Beirut, Lebanon? Why if I may ask?
Because of its residents and their spirit. It is always that I remember while traveling. With Beirut, it was the sheer optimism of people I met there given the every-day uncertainty of life. The latter never seemed to come up and shatter their blind optimism for the better. It was infectious.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because of its residents and their spirit. It is always that I remember while traveling. With Beirut, it was the sheer optimism of people I met there given the every-day uncertainty of life. The latter never seemed to come up and shatter their blind optimism for the better. It was infectious.

Man, we can definitely learn something from that. Most of the time we're sulking about our first world problems, that are so insignificant in the grand scheme. That's a key thing about travel -- how it allows to broaden perspective.

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
My best friend climbed Kilimanjaro last year. I was too much of a chicken to join him on his adventure. :/

upload_2018-10-18_23-1-25.png
My friend and her daughter climbed Kilimanjaro this year. Only the daughter made it to the top. Apparently it's brutal. So hard to breath. Anyways they had 6 sherpa's for just the two of them. Had their own cook. Everything was done for them except the climb.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
View attachment 148031My friend and her daughter climbed Kilimanjaro this year. Only the daughter made it to the top. Apparently it's brutal. So hard to breath. Anyways they had 6 sherpa's for just the two of them. Had their own cook. Everything was done for them except the climb.
My friend had an entourage as well. But, from what he told me, it was also the altitude sickness that got to him. He tried not to resort to an oxygen mask for as long as he could, but eventually it got so bad he had no choice but to use it.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
View attachment 148031My friend and her daughter climbed Kilimanjaro this year. Only the daughter made it to the top. Apparently it's brutal. So hard to breath. Anyways they had 6 sherpa's for just the two of them. Had their own cook. Everything was done for them except the climb.

Answers the age-old question about why they did it. "Because it is there."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad