OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 188: The Ken Holland Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hey Jim, with trout season opening on Saturday, and recommendations for live bait for trout? My gf prefers live bait over lures and the only thing I can think of is meal worms. While I am at it, any recommendations on lures? I have some smaller spinners and spoons, just curious if you have any recommendations.

When I was kid use to slay the stocked trout... my arsenal was so simple: a package of size #10 hooks, size B and BB split shot, a package of mealworms and a jar of orange power bait....that's it. I didn't even need the power bait but if the stream was stocked with mostly rainbows they seem to love eggs. So a small ball of orange power bait or salmon eggs...but salmon eggs go bad so I always preferred the synthetic power bait.

Salted minnows are another good thing , especially when they stock a lot of brook trout. Brookies like meat and a salted minnow drifted will kill them.

10 year old me killing the trout.

390254_156726631095869_1382677824_n_zpsc6698d4e.jpg

Last edited:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
You know what's awesome? When you bring left overs from the night before to work and they taste better than when you had it the night before.

DangleSnipeCelly

Formerly KupsforKovy
Jan 30, 2010
Rockaway
When I was kid use to slay the stocked trout... my arsenal was so simple: a package of size #10 hooks, size B and BB split shot, a package of mealworms and a jar of orange power bait....that's it. I didn't even need the power bait but if the stream was stocked with mostly rainbows they seem to love eggs. So a small ball of orange power bait or salmon eggs...but salmon eggs go bad so I always preferred the synthetic power bait.

Salted minnows are another good thing , especially when they stock a lot of brook trout. Brookies like meat and a salted minnow drifted will kill them.

10 year old me killing the trout.

390254_156726631095869_1382677824_n_zpsc6698d4e.jpg
That's an awesome picture. I know they stock Rainbows and Brown trout in the lake in my community. The river on the other side of town I know usually has rainbows, dont know about any other kind. So I will stick with the meal worms and pick up some powerbait as per your recomendation. They dont stock bass and all that at the same time do they?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
isn't there some sort of daily limit like 4 or 5 trout?

It's in New York State and the limit in NY in 1980 was 10 fish per day... That is a limit.

That year I caught over 200 trout.

New York was 10 - Pennsylvania was 8 and NJ was 6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I haven't killed a trout in probably 25 or 26 years...I still have a lot of penance to do for my youth indiscretions.

But, just about every trout I killed was eaten by an old man who lived around the corner. He would smoke most of them.

Years later, after the man had died, my father mentioned in a conversation that between the wild game and fish I used to bring to him it probably made up 75% of his yearly food...I never knew this until very recently. When I got a little older I always felt bad about taking so many until my dad told me this.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Oh I know...I do get a little defensive though...Only because it just seems so hypocritical to preach conservation after having taken so much.

Correcting a mistake, doesn't sound hypocritical at all. People didn't know back then, it's not like you as a kid should have known.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's an awesome picture. I know they stock Rainbows and Brown trout in the lake in my community. The river on the other side of town I know usually has rainbows, dont know about any other kind. So I will stick with the meal worms and pick up some powerbait as per your recomendation. They dont stock bass and all that at the same time do they?

New Jersey doesn't really stock other fish besides trout...Well they do, but it is not a regularly scheduled type of thing. The trout stocking program is purely for recreational purposes as opposed to a habitat rebuild or a supplementary program.

Like for instance they may stock Lake Trout or walleye in Round Valley or Monksville Reservoirs because they think it is perfect habitat. They'll drop a few hundred fingerlings into the body of water then study it to see how successful it was. They did this with Muskies, Lake Trout, Walleye and they experimented with some land locked salmon in certain places. The bodies of water are typically very limited when they do that kind of stocking and it is often under-publicized

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
that could actually be a legit solution if they can make it easier to get in/out of. Looks cumbersome at best in the current form. So much better on the course and would make playing a wet course go much faster than cart path only.

It would allow for more business to golf courses that decide to purchase them because there are plenty of golfers that will play in any condition as long as the course is open and in a lot of cases, courses don't have the best irrigation and drainage systems so they'll shut down the carts because it isn't good for the course to have carts driving on the wet grass and that stops people from coming because they'd rather take a cart in the rain - you add a hovercraft cart which will be able to glide along the grass and through wet surfaces, you add more golfers

Like you said tweaks will have to be made, and the pricing to purchase one and then to rent one for a round will be iffy to start, but it's a solid idea

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad