OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 188: The Ken Holland Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
njdevilsownnhl said:
Yeah, like linkedin and stuff. I'm trying to land a summer internship.

I can probably help in this regard. Any specific questions? There's a lot I could just say to try to help, but probably best to answer anything specific first and go from there. Have any idea of industry/industries you're trying to intern in?

njdevilsownnhl*

I can probably help in this regard. Any specific questions? There's a lot I could just say to try to help, but probably best to answer anything specific first and go from there. Have any idea of industry/industries you're trying to intern in?

My only real question is how do I network using those sites to find a summer gig? I would like a legal clerkship with a company or small firm and my career services office is useless. I'm thinking about just sending cover letters and resumes to firms, but I don't know how successful that will be.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
My only real question is how do I network using those sites to find a summer gig? I would like a legal clerkship with a company or small firm and my career services office is useless. I'm thinking about just sending cover letters and resumes to firms, but I don't know how successful that will be.

Best tip if you're kind of going at it blindly (as in, no specific job posting that you're applying for): persistence and covering all of your bases. That's the main way to get on their radar. Resume/cover letters is worth a shot for sure. If someone looks at it, and likes what they see, they'll either find something for you or maybe talk to you/keep you in mind for when/if something opens up.

As for networking/using LinkedIn to help with that: honestly take a similar approach to the above. Find specific companies you may want to work for. Find employees that work for those companies, be it in a specific department/job function similar to what you would hope to work down the line. Reach out to those individuals (be it sending a message, or an invitation to connect if that's required before you can send that message).

After that, reach out, send a message that is specific, yet somewhat brief. In a paragraph or so (two if necessary, but no longer), try to mention who you are, where you're enrolled in school/what you're studying. Explain that you're looking to learn more about the industry/company and are interested in gain experience/knowledge for the field. Mention how you are pursuing internships as well. Feel free to ask the person job specific questions, or offer your time (in a volunteer sense) to help or shadow them as well.

The key is to show that you have interest, demonstrate some initiative, and that you have a desire to learn/improve. Some may not respond in the way you would like (or even at all), but the persistence will be noticed by some. I've asked a previous supervisor from an internship on one of my last days any tips for moving forward. Things like the above was one example of stuff that she recommended (and said had been impressive enough to get people interviews for internship positions).

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
This wouldve been better:

Zhang Ju and Zhang Chun are defeated by Han forces under Liu Yu.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Just don't write it in Spanish and you're golden

So far so golden. If anyone is interested I'm critiquing an article from an editor who says we should blame the eater for obesity and not have the government intervene to spend a budget for ant-obesity programs. Also, charge obese people higher premiums on their health insurance. It's from 2004 but it's pretty interesting.

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
If I pay more on car insurance for being a young adult male, I should pay less on health insurance for being in good shape.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
If I pay more on car insurance for being a young adult male, I should pay less on health insurance for being in good shape.

Yea, but young adults are more likely to get drunk and jump down a flight of stairs, breaking several bones. Not speaking from experience or anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad