The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thinking ahead a bit to the expansion draft and impending UFA status the guy I think would bring the biggest return at the TDL is Savard. He is a pretty reliable guy, will be pushing 31 at the time he needs to be re-signed and seems to be replaceable with Gav & Peeke.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Hello Jackets bros - Avs fan here in desperate need of a little more depth on my team. Don't want to ruffle feathers, or anything, so let me know if these guys are completely unavailable, are core players for your team, or if the cost to get them would be far higher than I might think.

With our loss against the Blues last night, a few of us on the Avs board want to upgrade our 3C slot with a physical guy who can win faceoffs and add a top-4 defenseman for insurance purposes due to our slew of injuries this year. What would the cost be for a Jenner + Savard or a Jenner + Murray package? I've seen enough many Anderson proposals on the mains to know he isn't available, and I don't want to ask the cost for any of your core players because I don't think the Avs would want to pay those prices.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Things we need are picks and game breaking forwards...obviously the latter would be a prospect and not a current NHLer. By themselves neither Boone nor Savard would garner an A prospect but in a package and shopped around the league they might, not Byram level but maybe Newhook? I know he was picked in the mid first round in the last draft and don't know how high you or the team is on him but he could be someone Jarmo would look at.

I hope something does materialize between our two teams and these two players, I think they would go well with your current group (no Dzingel buyer remorse) and help the Avs get far in the playoffs. Tell MacKinnon to keep it up, my fantasy team loves him lol

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've seen enough many Anderson proposals on the mains to know he isn't available
THANK YOU. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

As for proposals? I admit I'm short on ideas with Colorado, as I'm still grumpy that Kadri went there instead of being swapped for Savard. ;) And I don't know the roster there very well beyond the Big Names and (thanks to folks trying to get value for him) Tyson Jost.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Things we need are picks and game breaking forwards...obviously the latter would be a prospect and not a current NHLer. By themselves neither Boone nor Savard would garner an A prospect but in a package and shopped around the league they might, not Byram level but maybe Newhook? I know he was picked in the mid first round in the last draft and don't know how high you or the team is on him but he could be someone Jarmo would look at.

I hope something does materialize between our two teams and these two players, I think they would go well with your current group (no Dzingel buyer remorse) and help the Avs get far in the playoffs. Tell MacKinnon to keep it up, my fantasy team loves him lol

I believe we've got picks in every round except the 2nd in the upcoming draft, and all of our picks in the 2021 draft if CBJ is looking to recoup some of the draft capital they spent last year.

As for Newhook, personally, I wouldn't mind trading him in the right deal, but I do know the org is extremely high on him. The Avs scouted him the entire year last year in the BCHL, explicitly expressed interest to him and his family, and nixed some potential trades at the draft when he was available to pick at 16. If he would be available for a Jenner + Savard package, I have absolutely no idea. He seems like the type of prospect where the gap between the value seen by the org and the value seen by the fans is rather large.

THANK YOU. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

As for proposals? I admit I'm short on ideas with Colorado, as I'm still grumpy that Kadri went there instead of being swapped for Savard. ;) And I don't know the roster there very well beyond the Big Names and (thanks to folks trying to get value for him) Tyson Jost.

Hey, no problem. We went through similar main board proposals for our young core players when we had our down seasons. If he ever does become available, though, please do give us a call ;)

As for pieces available from our roster, I'd say the top line is a no-go unless we're swapping elite player for elite player. The second line could be touched, but only if it balances out the roster (i.e. the third line) and I'm not sure if Donskoi or Burakovsky would be seen as having enough value to CBJ to be the main piece involved in a trade for that package. They were both specifically targeted by the Avs due to their underlying numbers screaming that they had breakout potential, and it looks like that gamble has paid off this season. I doubt they're worth as much to you guys as they are to us right now.

Anyone could be had off the third and fourth lines, although we would prefer to keep the fourth line intact as is. Calvert-Bellemare-Nichushkin has become the first legitimate fourth line the Avs have seen in over a decade. Compher and Jost could enticing as younger guys with potential, if that's what Jarmo is looking for.

EDIT: Wanted to add that our defense is suspect right now with injuries to Cale Makar and Erik Johnson, and I figured CBJ had a good enough defense both now and in the future that they didn't want anything from our currently patchwork top-6.

As for our prospects, I would say of our three best guys, Byram is untouchable unless an offer comes around that we cannot refuse, Timmins has more value to the org than other teams due to his injury history (and his bounceback season this year), and Newhook, as I said above, might be held in higher regard by the org than he is by us fans. Draft picks, as always to a team looking to contend, are more than likely available if the price is right.

Any of these pieces entice you guys to move a package like that?

Last edited:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
By the strictest of definitions, I think it’s clear that Jones and Dubois are the only untouchables on this team. However, practically speaking, I believe our untouchable list grows to include Werenski, Texier, Bemstrom, and perhaps Gavrikov. I think guys like Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Jenner are just on the outside.

Jarmo should be listening on everyone else.

Note: listening does not imply actively seeking a trade.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I know nothing about Av prospects but I'd take one of the two best F prospects plus another decent prospect plus a 1st and a 3rd for Jenner & Savard.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Hello Jackets bros - Avs fan here in desperate need of a little more depth on my team. Don't want to ruffle feathers, or anything, so let me know if these guys are completely unavailable, are core players for your team, or if the cost to get them would be far higher than I might think.

With our loss against the Blues last night, a few of us on the Avs board want to upgrade our 3C slot with a physical guy who can win faceoffs and add a top-4 defenseman for insurance purposes due to our slew of injuries this year. What would the cost be for a Jenner + Savard or a Jenner + Murray package? I've seen enough many Anderson proposals on the mains to know he isn't available, and I don't want to ask the cost for any of your core players because I don't think the Avs would want to pay those prices.

Im sorry to bring this to you but the general manager who you can address your issues to isnt available right now.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
A few weeks ago I predicted that the bottom was in and that a very cautious uptrend may start from that low.

Now after the predictable shock lasting for 2 months theres obviously a revival in the team's spirit of some kind. If all goes well, if the old guard starts playing better while the youth keeps growing, we may see a nice competitive team as soon as next year. Not going to lie and say that I think theres a chance to save this season. There isnt

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
By the strictest of definitions, I think it’s clear that Jones and Dubois are the only untouchables on this team. However, practically speaking, I believe our untouchable list grows to include Werenski, Texier, Bemstrom, and perhaps Gavrikov. I think guys like Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Jenner are just on the outside.

Jarmo should be listening on everyone else.

Note: listening does not imply actively seeking a trade.

If you ask me, Jones and Dubois along with both Bjorkstrand and Korpisalo should be seen as "untouchable". Not saying that they all have the same amount of impact on the ice currently (they might), but, I don't see many possible ways that their impact or roles could be filled by anybody in the organization and most/any other move throughout the league would (IMO) be pointless as each guy (IMO) seems to have the skill/ability and drive that you couldn't ask more of.

Call me crazy, but, I wouldn't take many, TOP 4: C-W-D-G combo's in the league over those 4 guys.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Ridiculous that any Anderson proposals get (immediately) shot down, especially in some aggressive/condescending way....

Let me get this straight, he wasn't available before, because his "impact", "value" and "potential" was too high, now we shouldn't look to move him because his "impact" and perceived "value" is too low??

Where have we heard that before?

Anderson adds essentially nothing to the CBJ offensively, at this point and going forward. Robinson, Texier, and yes, Foligno and Jenner are all just a handful of names that like it or not, will probably be around awhile and fill the same different type of roles just as good as Anderson. His goal scoring "touch" and overall offensive ability has been severely overrated by many over time.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We have Murray/Kukan/Gavrikov. Along with an above average Savard, and Jones.

Werenski+Anderson is the package.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I could see trade Anderson for a good forward prospect playing in the AHL like Wahlstrom from the Islanders. But all the offers (and there have been many) on the mains are garbage.

Savard is gone after next year. The question is when you could get the most value for him. Would his value now be any more than at the trade deadline next year? I would think so, so I could see trading him soon. But if the offers aren’t any better than a late first and ok prospect, you might as well wait.

Jones could be moved for an elite center but I don’t see that happening. Similarly I don’t see Werenski getting us back a 22 year old soon to be elite forward which is what I would want.

Trade Milano since he has played well? Trade Boone to a team that needs grit? Trade Nash (with a million retained) back to Boston at the deadline if they need some forward depth?

We all would love to trade depth defense, but if other teams aren't willing to give up a good pick or forward prospect, you hold on to everyone.

I think trading Savard and maybe one of Boone/Anderson is the route to go. But only if the return of picks/prospects is solid.

Reactions: Viqsi

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Im gonna puke after reading this thread. We are "hunting" picks and i dont get it. We have young guns enough but we dont have elite forward.

Reactions: thebus88

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It is a youth and speed game right now. Elite forwards are really hard to acquire. Unless they are 28 and in the last year of a contract and looking for a 7 year deal for their next contract. Like the forwards moved at the trade deadline last year or Hall this year. And they cost assets we don’t really have. Sure I’d love to trade 3 of our guys for Barzal or Barkov or Marner, but that isn’t happening.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
How do you propose we acquire an elite forward without liquidating lesser assets for picks and shedding cap space?

I'm with you, we need cap space and/or picks and likely both (cap space allows us to take on high contracts via a trade, like Panarin; draft picks gives us lottery tickets to either try to find a player in draft or to use in a trade).

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Would Winnipeg actually go for that? It’s an interesting proposal, even if he doesn’t play center.

We could ask the mains and watch people scream.

I have no idea how Winnipeg's patchwork D is doing so well this season. You look at that roster and it's a mess.

EDIT:
Just for fun
Proposal: - WPG - CBJ

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It still doesn't make sense to me why people are trying to put this re-tool into hyperdrive. There is no reason to throw a life raft at this season. Take our lumps, try to find scoring in the offseason (ideally a center). Imagine if we can get a top tier prospect, have our cap space to potentially throw at Hall, while keeping all of our top tier players (including Werenski), and important role players (Anderson).

Let Anderson play his way out of his funk, and if he doesn't its not the end of the world because we can get him cheaper. He may not have the offensive upside we thought, but he's still a solid 3rd liner.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ridiculous that any Anderson proposals get (immediately) shot down, especially in some aggressive/condescending way....

Let me get this straight, he wasn't available before, because his "impact", "value" and "potential" was too high, now we shouldn't look to move him because his "impact" and perceived "value" is too low??
Selling low is bad; that's how you get ripped off. We're better off keeping him to see if he bounces back in any way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad