The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Because he is "going to look for max money" does not mean Hall's contract will be bad. If he delivers on the ice, you pay the man.

No the bad will be 7 years with an ask north of 10M for a guy who is will turn 29 1 month into next season with a couple a ghastly injuries in his career at the age where players usually slow down. His current play rates don't suggest he should be paid like a top 10 player in the league. Panarin is likely a solid comparable but Panarin is currently outscoring Hall by 0.9 pts/60 (significant).

I get that Hall is a phenomenal player and will be for a couple more years, but signing him feels like it'd be worse than the Dubi/Foligno contracts (aka severe drop in points and usefulness)

The other issue is, why would he sign with us when the reason he wants out of NJ (supposedly) is to win.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think you missed DSL's wicked wit. He was playing off of the American rock duo Hall & Oates.
I Can't Go For That. That seems really Out of Touch. Does Columbus have a Rich Girl we can hook Taylor Hall up with? As long as she's not a Maneater we might have a chance to sign him here.

Reactions: CBJ AZ goalie

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
Team seems to be spinning its wheels this year. Hard to watch these games. Time to recoup picks and/or shuffle the deck? So who can replace who? I'd say Savard has the most trade value, but I'd like to keep him unless the team is blown away. That being said how about... Jenner (still has market value as a grinder) - Foligno assumes the 2c/3c role and Robinson/Sherwood gets a long look. Nash (if anyone needs a 4th liner for playoffs - Thinking any Monster can get a look (Dalpe, Scott, Vigneault, MacInnis, Hanni even Dano plays like 4th liners). Wenneberg 3C/4C - Anyone needing 3c/4c PK guy - Stenlund time (at least he tries to shoot!) . Take your pick of Murray, Nutti, and Harry - With Peeke and Gav looking solid and Zach working his way back we can fill in with Clendening (who didn't look bad in playoffs last year) and Carlsson can fill the 6/7 d-man Harry role. Just wonder what return a Jenner/Murray combo would return.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So it looks like Taylor Hall is getting traded and nobody knows where. I'm 99.99999% sure it's not here but if Jarmo wanted to shake things up that would be one way to do it.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
So it looks like Taylor Hall is getting traded and nobody knows where. I'm 99.99999% sure it's not here but if Jarmo wanted to shake things up that would be one way to do it.

I’m all for it if it means we also keep our first rounder this year. PLD and Jones are the only other untouchables.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I guess Taylor Hall isn't loyal enough to play in Columbus. And we have no assets good enough to trade since we blew all of our draft picks last season and need to keep all of our cap space to sign underperforming talent.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Any other actual capable backup goalie or a few more starts for Korpisalo, in the stretch of games Merzlikins has started, results in 4-6 extra points for the team in the standings and puts them right there with the other teams in the wildcard race. The team needs to call up 1 of the guys from Cleveland for an extended period to see if they can fill a backup role, or find a backup somewhere in another organization. Send Merzlikins to Cleveland. If he's, "too good" for that, send him back to Europe for more "seasoning" or "development". I don't think the size of the ice is the issue with him, its the size of the nets in relation to NHL shooters.

Idk just how much people expected from the 2 YOUNG players Texier and Bemstrom, or how much it increased for Texier after a few early games, but, THE REAL ISSUE is not only how Atkinson and Anderson are playing/producing currently, but, what (IMO) they are as hockey players. For being considered a 20-30 goal scorer (Anderson) and a 30-40 goal scorer (Atkinson) both guys are quite below average when it comes to their actual shooting or finishing ability. Same can be said for each guys passing/playmaking and their overall puck control/hands.

They are both good (or can be good) on the rush, in open space, and/or when they aren't playing like "superstars".

IMO, Anderson is better in a more controlled/calm state on the ice. He seems to have an issue being able to turn all/any of his, "head, "hands", or "legs" down a notch, or "slow the game down", when it is needed.

Atkinson almost has the complete opposite problem. As some have said, he needs to remember (or be reminded) how much of his past offense (and goal production) was influenced by his work away or without the puck. Many times in years past, Atkinson was 1 of, if not the most tenacious/effective forecheckers on not only the team, but, you could literally say the LEAGUE, in regards to being a threat on the PK or on a shift to shift basis, IMO. Much of the time, obviously not taking anything away from the Dubinsky/Calvert/Jenner/Foligno's of the past, Atkinson was a huge part in being responsible for defensive plays leading to odd man breaks for the CBJ, or made things happen because of simple hard work forechecking or during the cycle.

Not only is it a huge impact (for a guy like Atkinson OR the entire team) to simply not have Panarin there on the ice
helping, its just as big of an impact BEING USED TO HIM BEING THERE.

Obviously, most people here don't think "long term" at all, but, its still quite early for the team to gain full chemistry with how last year ended and how much roster overhaul there has been since then.

With that said, DUMP.......yes, DUMP Merzlikins and Wennberg.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
There is so much wrong with this team that "tanking" isn't required, it's happening naturally. Already 9 points out of the second wild card and it's not even 2020 yet.

No offense. Suspect goal tending. Under performing defense. Bad coaching. Questionable roster management.

There are but a few young, talented skill players on this team. Keep them and build around them. It's time to blow the rest of it up.

This team isn't good enough and they aren't the Blues reincarnated. This is a lottery team and the sooner management starts planning for this the shorter period of time it will take to get out of this mess.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
At this point, I would be looking to trade Savard and Nash for futures. I would give serious consideration to trading Anderson if someone is prepared to buy higher than he currently shows simply because I don’t see him signing here long term. I wonder what he would fetch now.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Who would want Nash?

I find it amusing when people think that a contending team would want Riley Nash.

He's almost completely useless. A horrible waste of $8 million over 3 years by Jarmo. **Now someone will dig up some esoteric advanced stat to show how Riley is so good at (blank).

Reactions: DarkandStormy

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I find it amusing when people think that a contending team would want Riley Nash.

He's almost completely useless. A horrible waste of $8 million over 3 years by Jarmo. **Now someone will dig up some esoteric advanced stat to show how Riley is so good at (blank).

He was really good at padding his stats playing between Marchand & Pastrnak wen Bergeron was on IR. :sarcasm:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The guy who I think we can trade at the deadline & garner another first round pick is Boone. He is the kind of 3rd line center a contender would love as a way of solidifying a roster.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The other guy is Murray. If we traded both at the deadline I think I think we could add 2 firsts & second.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I'd give it through January at most then there would be a stream of youngsters coming south and any eligible non producing slug heading north.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad