The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Seeing that the team is still not firing on all cylinders, as some veteran Jackets still play under what we all know can be their true potential, and yet getting better and better results, makes me think that the team could possibly get into the playoffs this year. Not saying they could make noise or anything.

The turnaround started with Korpi becoming very good and the team's trust growing from there.

So whats ahead of us this season? What do you ladies and gents think?

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
pit car and nyr all won today. phi might too :(

also would any of you take a chance on granlund ? he's on waiver. scored almost 20 few years ago and ufa so no commitment. with the injuries it might help

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Seeing that the team is still not firing on all cylinders, as some veteran Jackets still play under what we all know can be their true potential, and yet getting better and better results, makes me think that the team could possibly get into the playoffs this year. Not saying they could make noise or anything.

The turnaround started with Korpi becoming very good and the team's trust growing from there.

So whats ahead of us this season? What do you ladies and gents think?

I'm sticking with my prediction of 88 points and no playoffs. A cursory glance through the schedule showed a tougher second half than the first although I didn't do any analysis. Guys coming back from injuries have as much chance of screwing up the chemistry/mojo that is going on currently as they do of improving the team, imo. Also Korpi will hit a bad streak and Elvis is not gaining any useful experience.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm sticking with my prediction of 88 points and no playoffs. A cursory glance through the schedule showed a tougher second half than the first although I didn't do any analysis. Guys coming back from injuries have as much chance of screwing up the chemistry/mojo that is going on currently as they do of improving the team, imo. Also Korpi will hit a bad streak and Elvis is not gaining any useful experience.

I just checked the final 12 games of the year. Other than one game against NJ, it's a rough schedule.

The lack of offensive talent hasn't changed over the past 10 games. The CBJ are still in the bottom 4 in goals scored per game and that doesn't indicate a post season appearance.

Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

That's another plausible scenario, a more negative one of course.

Yet I still think that things could keep improving towards the end of the season. With normally occurring poor stretches here and there.

We will see.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The Monster call ups have done an admirable job for us. In looking at the line-up, it’s a great example of “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts”. But in any case they’ve provided solid play that is consistent with Torts style hockey. This stretch has been the most productive point streak of the season. Now here’s my question:

While Stenlund, MacInnis, Lilja, Robinson, Gerbe (though much older) Carlson, and Peeke are now playing in the NHL because of injuries, which ones (if any) are longer term yet ready solutions for this team and that might allow some current vets to be trade assets?

....maybe this belongs under another thread.

Reactions: Madifer

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Monster call ups have done an admirable job for us. In looking at the line-up, it’s a great example of “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts”. But in any case they’ve provided solid play that is consistent with Torts style hockey. This stretch has been the most productive point streak of the season. Now here’s my question:

While Stenlund, MacInnis, Lilja, Robinson, Gerbe (though much older) Carlson, and Peeke are now playing in the NHL because of injuries, which ones (if any) are longer term yet ready solutions for this team and that might allow some current vets to be trade assets?

I think Robinson is a keeper. Peeke would be but there isn't room this year. Encouraged by Stenlund but there's not enough room for him. Carlsson hasn't really stood out to me on screen, but given his style of play and position thats not a bad thing. Gerbe, MacInnis, and Lilja are doing an admirable job but are AHLers.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
btw the team is now officially 50% rookies/ahl players

fun thing the monsters are also 50% rookies/echl players

Last edited:

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Seeing how Torts can handle young rookies is the main reason why I have been against his departure.

Some of these rookies have good potential imo.

What Im most curious about now is whether Elvis can be the guy we need him to be. We'll see soon I guess

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I think Savard is the best trade candidate. He's not going to bring a top 6 F but he could very well land a 1st & a 2nd/3rd at the TDL. With Peeke & Gav looking good he is expendable imo. I think Robinson should stick and possibly make Foligno expendable when his contract expires. Stenlund could replace Riley.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
I think this will ether wake him up or he will fall apart worse then before. When he plays he looks scared and its iust a matter of time before one goes in. Hence why he hasn't won yet. Hopefully the extra practice time helps get him more comfortable. Definitely has the talent just needs to get comfortable

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I don't mind the tank with korpi out weeks but really I wouldnt be selling that much. the team has no ufa and wennberg, Nash or harry are pretty much the only really bad contract someone might take for bad picks. I like savard too much to give him up. maybe murray too if a team dream of him being healthy. there's nothing really much to tank other than that. I dont think Jarmo gonna sell anything low like Andy.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I don't mind the tank with korpi out weeks but really I wouldnt be selling that much. the team has no ufa and wennberg, Nash or harry are pretty much the only really bad contract someone might take for bad picks. I like savard too much to give him up. maybe murray too if a team dream of him being healthy. there's nothing really much to tank other than that. I dont think Jarmo gonna sell anything low like Andy.
Murray and Savard definitely top the list when it comes to being realistically available and also appealing to other teams.

I think if I had to put money on it, Murray to a playoff bound team that’s looking to jump on his decreased trade value. Gavrikov is clearly the 2nd pairing LHD of the future.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The recent 16 points notwithstanding this team is and will be a border line playoff team for the foreseeable future unless Jarmo does something. He needs to come up with a plan to rebuild the team and the draft choices. I don't think it can be accomplished in one year but a 3 year plan should work. Trades need to happen. The current makeup either the 50/50 split with Monsters or the regular roster isn't good enough and doesn't have the potential to develop into a strong contender. This year's TDL should be about acquiring draft picks. The off season needs to being about a couple of trades to upgrade the offense. Continuing to believe that the answer is in the room or the organization is a fool's dream in my opinion.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think Robinson is a keeper. Peeke would be but there isn't room this year. Encouraged by Stenlund but there's not enough room for him. Carlsson hasn't really stood out to me on screen, but given his style of play and position thats not a bad thing. Gerbe, MacInnis, and Lilja are doing an admirable job but are AHLers.
I’m not sure I agree on MacInnis. He’s been way more than I thought he would be so far and I like his energy he’s brought to the line with Nash and Lilja. His first assist was a beautiful amount of determination. It’s still way early but I could see him developing into a solid NHL 3rd/4th line role guy. He was a 2nd rounder so the potential is there.

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
First, a question to the monster fans: is Gerbe a good penalty shooter or did Tort rewarded him for the physical play that he brought against the Blackhawks? If the latter answer is the right one, when will Tort give a chance to players like Gavrinka, Robinson and Texier during OT and PP? How come that Stenlund gets directly so much PP time? Once again I am probably biased but I find that the players with good passing skills should be more used. And IMO, Nyquist (but he has PP time), Milano and Texier are the only ones that read really well the game. Foligno and Jenner deserve credit for their play, but when there is open space in the ice, they should not be the first option!
For sure Werenski and Jones have a lot of potential, but I love the Gavrinka-Savard association. I would not trade any of them.
Watch Panarin last year was super exciting, but CBJ is still interesting to watch. Sometimes, I wish they would not dump the puck to change of players while they could create a good chance to score. An obvious example of it occurred in the last game with Texier.
Regarding goalkeepers, Korposalo has been impressive, but I'm sure Elvis can raise his game.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Gerbe is solid in the shootout. He had the goalie beat, just hit the post. Stenlund is on the PP because he is a good shooter. Both his goals have been on the PP, but his first goal was more of a good bounce than a quality shot.

Reactions: tchigo

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
We have 5 young promising goalies??? Korpi gets his ASG, Elvis was best goalie in Europe and now gets his first win. Veini was best goalie in Finland and played Finnish nationalteam couple games and now in Cleveland has 2.03 gaa and 92%. Kivlenieks is only one that i dont know much, his stats are medium? Someone give more about him? Tarasov is playing really well in Finland. He is playing in really shitty team but its brilliant for him. He faces many shots in a game and season goes forward he gets better.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So when the regulars return will the team be better or worse? Hard for them to improve on the recent streak. Deep down I don't believe the team can be as good over the long term as the last games have shown but the question arises is now the time to go with more of the young guys and trade off vets? That would be my vote.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
So when the regulars return will the team be better or worse? Hard for them to improve on the recent streak. Deep down I don't believe the team can be as good over the long term as the last games have shown but the question arises is now the time to go with more of the young guys and trade off vets? That would be my vote.

My Jackets optimism is peaking, which is usually bad news as a correction at this point is as welcome as its inevitable.

I think this wave of injuries has proven to be beneficial on certain levels as it has given some youngsters invaluable experience.

Whatever happens next is up to the management to decide.

Overall this team's performance this year reminds me of this. Im very proud of CBJ and how the seemingly life threatening crisis is being managed by nearly everyone. (By life threatening I mean something like becoming another Detroit for a decade or so)

Ps. Can we never see Dubi on ice again plz? Wearing a CBJ jersey at least

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We have 5 young promising goalies??? Korpi gets his ASG, Elvis was best goalie in Europe and now gets his first win. Veini was best goalie in Finland and played Finnish nationalteam couple games and now in Cleveland has 2.03 gaa and 92%. Kivlenieks is only one that i dont know much, his stats are medium? Someone give more about him? Tarasov is playing really well in Finland. He is playing in really ****ty team but its brilliant for him. He faces many shots in a game and season goes forward he gets better.
Elvis was not the best goalie in Europe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad