The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Without some moves money gets real tight next year unless Jarmo kicks the can down the road and hands out more bridge deals. As things stand right now with guys I would consider core players only Jones and Werenski and Atkinson if one counts him are signed beyond next year. On top of that Jones and Werenski are UFA/RFA after the following season. Jarmo has some tough decisions in the next couple years.

As for Wennberg I predict he does not get bought out even though I think he should. Going into next season with PLD, Tex, Jenner, and Nash as the centers would be a disaster and right now I don't see anyone in the pipeline to change that. Instead of freeing up cap space and going after a high end guy I would rather see Jarmo go after a 2C and hope Nash 2.0 doesn't repeat itself.

I fail to see how that’d be a “disaster”. Seems pretty solid-good to me, even if a bit presumptuous on Texier.

Presuming Wennberg finishes the season as he has up to this point, I’d be pretty surprised if he’s not bought out. I think it was fair to give him another chance, particularly if you didn’t need the cap space this year (which we didn’t) and could still buy him out for 1/3 after the season (which we can). Sometimes guys just have bad years. But this is pretty clearly who he is now. Whether it’s due to Wilson or 16-17 was a fluke (likely a bit of both), it doesn’t really matter. Can’t be spending $5M on a player like him. If it was a 2/3 buyout, maybe you just suck it up, but I’d be pretty surprised at 1/3 if we keep him, barring a much-improved last half of the season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
How about Mikael Granlund? He just dont belong to the Preds. He was great in Minnesota and now he is playing not si good that jos tradevalue has fallen, should be low price, high reward

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
How about Mikael Granlund? He just dont belong to the Preds. He was great in Minnesota and now he is playing not si good that jos tradevalue has fallen, should be low price, high reward

I believe he's UFA at the end of this season, might be a good player to target for a middle six spot.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Granlund has played both of them . Early when he started his career he was playing rw, cause Minnesotas centers was tough.

Guy on Nashville board says he is playing W this year. Minny fans say the same and aren't very complimentary about him. I guess I don't see Jarmo thinking he's the answer at 2c.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
A Forwards peak in scoring is around 20-25. No need to give huge deals to guys on the back 9 of their careers.
Sounds like you are making a case for UFA status to be dropped to 23 instead of 27 in the next CBA so players can actually get paid. Owners can't hold them down when they are young and then not pay them when they "pass their prime."

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He has played well the last couple of games. But people have to complain about something or someone even though we are on a 5 game win streak.

I agree in general with this sentiment but will add that ‘played well’ to me is defined in this instance as hasn’t been ass and been passable compared with the low expectations he has set for himself with this past play.’

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It is the holiday season. So, "no comment". But you can probably guess with a high degree of accuracy what my comment wou0ld be.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jarmo needs to do some magic and offload Wennberg for someone who actually wants to play

Because of the 1/3rd buyout option, retaining salary makes no sense for the CBJ and taking his contract on makes no sense for anyone else. Wennberg's buyout numbers are so small that it doesn't warrant taking a bad contract for him.

He'll get bought out and someone will sign him to the perfunctory $1 million one year prove it contract. He will prove he belongs in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4