OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Caught them in Prague last month. Still as loud as the first time I saw them, and even more brutal.

Also picked up some of the new-ish vinyl remasters of White and they sound great.

It was an intoxicating experience. The good kind of absurd.

I've been revisiting their Scott Walker collab Soused, and the new album Life Metal is very solid IMO.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Maybe it's the new speakers I got, but I really liked this cover (both of em):

And I finally convinced myself to get a record player. Some of the albums I have seem to skip... Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Are the records new or used? Sometimes all they need is a good cleaning. Or as @DegenX said, they could be scratched/warped.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It was an intoxicating experience. The good kind of absurd.

I've been revisiting their Scott Walker collab Soused, and the new album Life Metal is very solid IMO.

Yeah, Sunn O))), Sleep, Conan, and My Bloody Valentine take amplifier worship to absurd levels that absolutely work when you see them live. There's just something about feeling that much air being moved that's transcendent, albeit in a kind of dumb teenage way. But I'm into it.

But with Sunn O))), I gotta say. I saw them first in the Empty Bottle in Chicago which was intense (because it's a 200 person club), but they really benefit from playing bigger venues. Usually I feel it's the other way with bands, but with them, it's 100% the opposite. See them in a huge venue, if you get a chance. It's absolutely nuts.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@pistolpete11 They're brand new. So I'm guessing I just need to give them a good clean. I think I'm at 11 records so far in just about 2 full months. It's not cheap, but I do like the excitement of getting a new one.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
@pistolpete11 They're brand new. So I'm guessing I just need to give them a good clean. I think I'm at 11 records so far in just about 2 full months. It's not cheap, but I do like the excitement of getting a new one.
Hmmm. Usually it's the used records that need to be cleaned, but still worth a shot. If not, then I'd try playing the records on someone else's player to see if they are OK.

It's definitely not a cheap hobby. I like a lot of the 60's and 70's stuff, so I'm able to find a bunch used which helps. That's even more fun because you never know what you're going to find at a shop. So when you find one you've been looking for, it's a fun rush. I like newer stuff, too, though. For that, I usually listen to it on Spotify for a while to see if I really want to drop the $20+ on it.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Yeah, Sunn O))), Sleep, Conan, and My Bloody Valentine take amplifier worship to absurd levels that absolutely work when you see them live. There's just something about feeling that much air being moved that's transcendent, albeit in a kind of dumb teenage way. But I'm into it.

But with Sunn O))), I gotta say. I saw them first in the Empty Bottle in Chicago which was intense (because it's a 200 person club), but they really benefit from playing bigger venues. Usually I feel it's the other way with bands, but with them, it's 100% the opposite. See them in a huge venue, if you get a chance. It's absolutely nuts.

Yeah, I've seen Sunn, Sleep, and MBV within the past year. I'm sure Sunn the loudest. It was a seated show, and the old metal chairs did a great job moving the heavy tones through my body.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm in the process of going through roughly a dozen years of accumulated junk and I've been keeping myself entertained by going through a couple playlists I found from when I first moved to Montana and this is a damned treasure trove. Cursed treasure because the stuff I barely remember is attached to memories I don't exactly love; but there's a special joy about re-finding a band that you already really, really liked but hadn't thought about in years.

Had I ever gotten around to finishing Twin Peaks season 1 so I could watch the 'new' season from a couple years ago I'd have had this 'oh yeah, I really loved Chromatics for like a month' moment a couple years ago, but oh well.

I wonder if going through the obligatory Kate Bush phase nearly every music snob goes through in college helped. Probably just a coincidence.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Happy TOOL day everyone

tenor.gif

Reactions: DanielPlainview

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I like both of those bands but I won't fight you because opinions are personal and people can like different things and still get along.

And now I wait for my inevitable ostracism from this, an online message board.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I don't get Tool. I also think Rush sucks. Fight me.
I agree with the assessment of Tool.

As far as Rush, I’m not a cult follower but the musical talent in that band is awesome. Neil is one of the best drummers ever and Geddy is great on bass too. Alex is really good too but gets overshadowed by the other two.

Reactions: Syrinx and Andy99

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I’ll be honest and say that I like a little bit of every genre, from country to hip hop to classical to heavy metal to classic rock to industrial.

My favorite would have to be hard rock/heavy metal, but not the death metal/black metal stuff.

I grew up on bands like Godsmack, Disturbed, System of a Down, etc.

As far as today’s music, I still enjoy the music that those bands put out, but also enjoy bands like Volbeat, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
A lot of dudes my age seem to be absolutely crazed over Tool (especially lately) but I guess count me in with the crowd that never really got it. I mean... there are some interesting things going on there to be sure but I just don't ever really see myself sitting down and listening to a Tool album. I feel like I'd need to contort backwards and start walking on my hands and feet like some sort of f***ed up dog-man only to cut to another scene with me in a dark, dingy room on the ground totally nude with my head moving rapidly back and forth like in Jacob's Ladder, or something.

Rush has their tunes, though. And I'd be a fool to at least not marvel a little bit over their ability. But again... I can't think of one time that I've ever been like... "gee whiz, time to have a few beers and break out the Rush records!"

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009

Back in the days when Maynard would actually take the frontman's position. Kind of weird to see

Never understood why people lump them in with like death metal type stuff. Maybe the music video imagery? IDK. Lyrically they not (usually) any darker than any other prog/hard rock band. Musically, they range from normal hard rock to having like a Middle Eastern/Indian sort of vibe. The weirdest thing about them might be the metaphysical stuff they incorporate (less so today than Aenima and Lateralus).

Fear Inoculum is a damned marathon. 86 minutes, 7 songs, 3 filler tracks. Only one song under 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I like Rush’s 70s and early 80s output...but they’re not my favorite 70s-era prog rock band, and I don’t have strong desires to listen to them compared to Pink Floyd, Gabriel-era Genesis and Yes...never got into any metal (and I’d include Tool, Dream Theatre and Metallica in that) the way that I got into and still love the metal-influencing hard rock bands from the 70s...the pop/funk influences are missing from the newer bands...just a lack of hooks and catchy riffs and groovy rhythm sections...post 80s metal just sounds like a wall of noise to me with the exception of a few songs and some metal-pop hybrids like Linkin Park or something...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I like both of those bands but I won't fight you because opinions are personal and people can like different things and still get along.

And now I wait for my inevitable ostracism from this, an online message board.

Shut the f*** up and let me buy you a beer.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've never been a fan of instrumental ability for it's own sake. Used to listen to Tool in high school but it hasn't been my thing for decades and Rush, well...their song The Trees may be my least favourite song ever for a host of reasons.

But everybody's gotta put food on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad