OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
People don't understand how modern music can pack all the familiar signals into a tighter package. They want Jimmy Page like they want Steve Allen. Things don't work that way anymore because there was already a Jimmy Page, and already a Steve Allen. They are embedded. Listen to more music and find the patterns. You're only robbing yourself in this era of music dissemination.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Ok, speaking of talent, here's the absolute (IMO) best artist of the '90s... Bjork. Child prodigy. Club credentials. Operatic voice. Commanding bandleader with a visionary theatrical presentation.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not that Jimmy Page can't still shred. He's a genius.

Are you talking about Page because of my absolute hero worship of him and his music? If so, I don’t see what he has to do with the current discussion about whether the pop music charts were more crap in the 70s or today...I guarantee if you look at the variety of the top 20 billboard songs from 1975 overall, you’ll see Earth Wind and Fire, Elton John, the Eagles, Bowie, the Dobbie Brothers and Sweet, among people like John Denver, Glen Campbell etc. Now go look at the top pop songs of 2018, listen to those songs—Cardi B, Drake, Ed Sheehan, post Malone...they all sound relatively similar

So the point that the modern pop charts lack variety of interesting music is a good one...that’s not to say there wasn’t crap also in 1975

There’s good music to be found in 2018...it’s just harder to find...I’ve said before that I find it harder to listen to today’s music...the computer, compression, idk but it lacks the punch for me...I’d rather listen to the rich tapestry of sounds from 1968 to maybe 1995 or so..

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Zeppelin ripped off so many artists over the years that people should probably call them the best/most successful cover band of all time.

In my mind that shouldn't take away a lot from them, because they were all so good at what they did; but people really need to stop saying they're the greatest band who ever existed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Zeppelin ripped off so many artists over the years that people should probably call them the best/most successful cover band of all time.

In my mind that shouldn't take away a lot from them, because they were all so good at what they did; but people really need to stop saying they're the greatest band who ever existed.

I’ll spend way more time than I want to on this, but the only true song they “stole” was dazed and confused...people like to state this as a platitude but if they “ripped off” so many artists, then so did many other bands...it was a blues tradition to take phrases of other people’s songs, Stones did it, Deep Purple etc...most of their other covers were not the same music...the riffs were completely different and the melody lines...they took lyrics and sometimes didn’t credit...whatever, they paid for it...other songs they covered were traditional, like in my time of dying, and did not require a credit because copyright had expired or there was no holder...every band that exists takes something from other songwriters and changes it...that’s the progression of music...you’re of course entitled to your own opinion about who the greatest band was and so do other people as it’s completely subjective...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The industry has been mass produced junk from the very beginning, though?

Industry and mass produced junk are basically synonymous, right?

I'm guessing someone has done studies on what percentage of the charts in any particular era belonged to the major labels/which mix of genres?

What does suck now, however, is the killing off of local radio and media which had the power to create weird local scenes back in the day.

I was thinking about this the other day - the history of extreme metal has largely been one of local scenes (or at least, has been presented as such). But I can't really think of any particular scene that's been heralded as starting something new for a long time - the genre's evolved, but nobody points at a particular cluster or place. The idea that you could listen to a band and have a pretty good idea where they were from is no longer true.

Sure it's the same with other genres. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it is a thing.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It makes me laugh that it has been exactly two weeks since KesselMania was calling someone else pretentious about music :laugh:

Pretentious is turning your nose up to good music or disliking something for some other reason by trying to pass it off as another. Calling crap what it is is not pretentious.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’ll cop to being pretentious, but I still think that as long as people like what they listen to, it’s all good. :laugh:

On a more recent tip, my girlfriend’s gotten me into this Taiwanese band Eggplant Egg that’s pretty good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Industry and mass produced junk are basically synonymous, right?

I'm guessing someone has done studies on what percentage of the charts in any particular era belonged to the major labels/which mix of genres?

I was thinking about this the other day - the history of extreme metal has largely been one of local scenes (or at least, has been presented as such). But I can't really think of any particular scene that's been heralded as starting something new for a long time - the genre's evolved, but nobody points at a particular cluster or place. The idea that you could listen to a band and have a pretty good idea where they were from is no longer true.

Sure it's the same with other genres. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it is a thing.

Like most art the internet and globalization explosion has diluted everything.

Sucks, but sadly Art is one of the main suffers of this.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
RIP dude...the great songwriter behind one of the favorite bands of my youth...their debut album was brilliant and a unique sound at the time cutting through all the disco...

Ric Ocasek, Lead Singer of The Cars, Dies at 75

A sad day for sure.

I was in high school for the Cars best years. I wasn't a huge fan but understood the appeal. I think much of their success came down to them putting out songs that were easy for the average Joe to sing along to.

RIP Eddie Money as well...

Reactions: Andy99

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
People don't understand how modern music can pack all the familiar signals into a tighter package. They want Jimmy Page like they want Steve Allen. Things don't work that way anymore because there was already a Jimmy Page, and already a Steve Allen. They are embedded. Listen to more music and find the patterns. You're only robbing yourself in this era of music dissemination.

My first LP was this.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
It's been awhile since I sat behind a kit but I recently got an out of the blue offer to join my area's version of an adult "for-fun" swing band. They play all the usual standards, In The Mood, Take The A Train, etc and while I don't think I can commit, it put me very much into a mood to listen to some big band tunes. Of course, as a drummer, I went right for the Buddy Rich, universally beloved as a drummer and equally despised as a world class ****bag:

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad