OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
And you like The Trees? ;)

It's all good man. I don't go out of my way to hate on music these days. Whatever floats your boat.

Never said I liked the song. Not really a Rush fan at all. Just find reactions to it to be amusing.

If the boot fits, as Sheriff Woody famously said.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I often get the feeling that most Rush fans are just huge drum nerds.

Yeah....guilty. And for the record, The Trees is FAR from my favorite Rush song. I generally skip it and it has nothing to do with any thematic message, I just think it's kind of a meh song.

I tend to be pretty laid back when it comes to musical taste. Like what you like people and dislike what I like if you want to, doesn't skim any years off of my already short existence. The exception of course, is if you're a huge KISS fan in which case you can go straight to hell and burn.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Never said I liked the song. Not really a Rush fan at all. Just find reactions to it to be amusing.

If the boot fits, as Sheriff Woody famously said.

Dismissing any criticism of a song with a blanket statement like "it goes against X's sensibilities" or "X is pretentious" is some lazy boot-fitting.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It’s not lazy at all but derived from a lifetime of experience with that particular song. I don’t throw out the accusation lightly

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It’s not lazy at all but derived from a lifetime of experience with that particular song. I don’t throw out the accusation lightly
I am a big rush fan. It's not a good song imo.

I am excited at the prospect of my musical taste being called pretentious for the first time in my life.

Reactions: Syrinx

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There is nothing better in rock than late 60s-70s music...the recording techniques, the amps, the guitar sound, the talent...won’t be anything like it again...it’s not mainstream, it’s just the best, whatever permutations the rock music came in, so enjoy it...I think I must have listened to like 300 bootlegged 70s concerts by now, and I don’t care if it takes my time away from listening to the overproduced computer generated music of the last 20 years...
Not to be combative, but this is such an old man's mentality :laugh:

There is still plenty of great music being made today and over the last 20 years. It's harder to find because of the sheer amount of music available from so many different platforms, but it's there...even if you're not into hip-hop or the more produced rock acts.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not to be combative, but this is such an old man's mentality :laugh:

There is still plenty of great music being made today and over the last 20 years. It's harder to find because of the sheer amount of music available from so many different platforms, but it's there...even if you're not into hip-hop or the more produced rock acts.

Well, I’m “old”...:)
Of course there’s some good musicians and songs now but it’s not uniformly good...the biggest problem is the digital compression imo...the analog recording on vinyl is so much better, rawer...it’s not the lack of songwriting, although there’s that....really haven’t found much I’ve liked since 1998 or so...I really like 90s rock but just the sound of the recordings from say 1967 to 1983 or so is really the best ...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There has always been a lot of really bad music out there. At no point has music been uniformly good or anything even close to it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There has always been a lot of really bad music out there. At no point has music been uniformly good or anything even close to it.

avatars-000179653968-93s48x-t500x500.jpg

Sorry for two things: the image quality, and going against Gary Larsson's request that this stuff not be posted online.

Reactions: Peat and Ogrezilla

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

You must not listen to a lot of rock from around 1969 to about 1976...aural perfection...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You must not listen to a lot of rock from around 1969 to about 1976...aural perfection...
I listen to a ton of that stuff. My parents listened to it all the time so I grew up with it. But you must be ignoring a lot of garbage music from 1969 to 1976. Which is easy to do because it never shows up anymore. Survivor's bias and all that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I listen to a ton of that stuff. My parents listened to it all the time so I grew up with it. But you must be ignoring a lot of garbage music from 1969 to 1976. Which is easy to do because it never shows up anymore. Survivor's bias and all that.

I listen to pop, soft rock, singer/songwriters, campy songs etc from that period...Helen Reddy, Season in the Sun, etc...my brother had the 45 to Energy Crisis ‘74...go look that up...it’s still better than “pop” charts today...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I listen to pop, soft rock, singer/songwriters, campy songs etc from that period...Helen Reddy, Season in the Sun, etc...my brother had the 45 to Energy Crisis ‘74...go look that up...it’s still better than “pop” charts today...
Are you really trying to say bad music just didn't exist? That music was just universally better?

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

'I Think I Love You' by The dadgum Partridge Family was a number 1 song in 1970. 1973 was an amazing year for music and the number 1 song that year was Tony Orlando and Dawn.

In general I agree with you, there's a reason that era is called "Classic" Rock. But...there has always been bad music.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The pop charts are always crap...I never said it was good, just better than today...I’d way rather listen to most of it though than today’s crap just because of the recording techniques...I said that the classic ROCK era was uniformly good, and then I get a comment that there’s always been bad music...yes, true but that doesn’t mean the digital compressed, all sound alike music since 2000 or so isn’t the worst...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, gonna disagree on the classic rock era being uniformly good. Lots of turds produced then, you just don’t listen to them because nobody’s going to remember the terrible records even if they’re made by the big labels that don’t take off.

On a related note, how many of you can name a single Crash Test Dummies song beyond that annoying ass single that was a weird hit? :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The pop charts are always crap...I never said it was good, just better than today...I’d way rather listen to most of it though than today’s crap just because of the recording techniques...I said that the classic ROCK era was uniformly good, and then I get a comment that there’s always been bad music...yes, true but that doesn’t mean the digital compressed, all sound alike music since 2000 or so isn’t the worst...
Good thing music doesn't all sound alike since 2000.

Did someone just mention pretentious? :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I too hate it when people talk about x’s and o’s in the GDTs, like some sort of eggheads! It’s like Scar said, “I’m the rightful king of lion England, Elton John!”

Wisdom for the ages.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well, I’m “old”...:)
Of course there’s some good musicians and songs now but it’s not uniformly good...the biggest problem is the digital compression imo...the analog recording on vinyl is so much better, rawer...it’s not the lack of songwriting, although there’s that....really haven’t found much I’ve liked since 1998 or so...I really like 90s rock but just the sound of the recordings from say 1967 to 1983 or so is really the best ...
I think you're making 2 different points. The music and the recording process.

If you haven't found any bands or artists you like since 1998, you either aren't really looking or you're being a stubborn old man (again, not to be combative :laugh:).

About the recording process, I'm no audiophile, so I can't really have a conversation about that. I buy and listen to vinyl because I like the collection part of it, having a physical connection to the music, and the ritual of flipping the record, dropping the needle, and looking at the album artwork. But I do know a lot of bands and artists release their albums on vinyl and from what I understand, it takes them a lot of extra work to master it for vinyl. If it's not as good as it was in the 60's and 70's, I'll take your word for it, but I find it very hard to believe that that would be enough of a reason for you to not like anything over the last 20 years.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad