OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I’ve had Beck’s “Colors” album (great album; I could have picked any track to post and on any given day it would my favorite) on repeat for my daily commute this past week. I’m heading to Detroit next Friday to catch him live. I managed to get seventh-row seats for $107 per on StubHub, which for a guy with his catalogue is pretty crazy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
42475843681_a2071055fb_b.jpg

In my opinion the best solo Beatle album.

I would probably have to agree. George was always my favorite Beatle, too. Not the "BEST" Beatle, mind you. But my favorite.

I was never the biggest Paul fan, I have to admit. Showtune Paul and all that. It was always kinda John and George for me. But as the years go on I have to say that I've REALLY come to regard "Ram" by Paul as right up there with ATMP. On some days maybe even better in my eyes. Always loved John's solo stuff too but... I dunno. There was never one particular album, as a whole, that struck me like ATMP and Ram.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I would probably have to agree. George was always my favorite Beatle, too. Not the BEST Beatle, mind you. But my favorite.

I was never the biggest Paul fan, I have to admit. Showtune Paul and all that. It was always kinda John and George for me. But as the years go on I have to say that I've REALLY come to regard "Ram" my Paul as right up there with ATMP. On some days maybe even better in my eyes. Always loved John's solo stuff too but... I dunno. There was never one particular album, as a whole, that struck me like ATMP and Ram.
George was also my favorite Beatle , but like you said, not the best. I think the most complete solo Beatle was John.

I'll also add he is probably my favorite guitarist, again not the best, but my favorite. Something about the Rickenbacker 360/12 that he plays on "I Should Have Known Better" off of A Hard Days Night gets me every time.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
George was also my favorite Beatle , but like you said, not the best. I think the most complete solo Beatle was John.

I think John had the best overall catalog. If I'm being frank, apart from ATMP George's work is a bit thin. And I think I'm being kind. Though my nostalgia starts to tingle a bit over Cloud 9, cornball songs and all. Similarly I had little use for most of the stuff with Wings if we're talking about Paul. But his first two solo albums were pretty brilliant... especially Ram.

Basically George and Paul happened to put out the two albums that struck a chord with me as a whole. But John's overall work spanning ~ten years was more impressive.

All I know is that I consistently reach for Ram and ATMP moreso than any solo John record.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I think John had the best overall catalog. If I'm being frank, apart from ATMP George's work is a bit thin. And I think I'm being kind. Though my nostalgia starts to tingle a bit over Cloud 9, cornball songs anda all. Similarly I had little use for most of the stuff with Wings if we're talking about Paul. But his first two solo albums were pretty brilliant... especially Ram.

Basically George and Paul happened to put out the two albums that struck a chord with me as a whole. But John's overall work spanning ~ten years was more impressive.

All I know is that I consistently reach for McCartney, Ram and ATMP moreso than any solo John record.
Bingo! While Ram is Paul's best solo album, I think Pipes of Peace of underrated.
When it come to Wings. I'm 100% all about the hits. Band on the Run, Jet, and Maybe I'm Amazed.
John's Plastic Ono Band is one album that competes with ATMP as my go to.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh yeah! I know a lot would disagree (Paul's corniness is an acquired taste) but I love all the Wings hits, too. It's just a bit barren in between.

POB has plenty of stuff with merit. I'm boring, though... I always favored Imagine.

Pipes of Peace is a good call. A deep cut. Something I would have overlooked years ago but found much more interesting later.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017

This is what Mario listens to when he's stoned on Star Power./OtherNigel

Not that i am anymore but this is melancholically funny anyway for you, if 'you were there'. ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Somehow I've gotten more and more in to hip hop lately. There's still a lot of rap I don't like, but I'm listening to a lot of Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, Logic, etc lately.

This song has been stuck in my head for like a week straight

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Somehow I've gotten more and more in to hip hop lately. There's still a lot of rap I don't like, but I'm listening to a lot of Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, Logic, etc lately.

This song has been stuck in my head for like a week straight

So far one of my favorite albums of 2018. The live version on Jimmy Kimmel was spot on.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Also... love that Pusha album. All the criticism regarding his distance from the drug trade is valid. Still, I love his voice and aesthetic. If You Know You Know is probably my most played track this year so far.

It's not just that. The stem of his beef with Drake is because he's friends with Lil Wayne. His beef with Lil Wayne all started over who wore Bape clothing first. For like 10 years now he's been dropping disses and subs and following them around like a puppy. It's actually kind of sad. Then he disses Drake for stuff everybody around him has done, Kanye and Jay Z. Ye wived a stripper and uses ghostwriters. Jay Z has a long list of alleged kids and he fights in court from giving them a dna test. Pusha T himself has been accused of ghostwriting. He acts holier than thou while bragging about selling drugs to his community. "The only rapper who sold more dope than me is Eazy E" Which we all know is a bold face lie but I won't even get into breaking that down. I admit he's a great rapper and I really liked Lord Willin. Just hard to listen to him when you know all this.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
It's not just that. The stem of his beef with Drake is because he's friends with Lil Wayne. His beef with Lil Wayne all started over who wore Bape clothing first. For like 10 years now he's been dropping disses and subs and following them around like a puppy. It's actually kind of sad. Then he disses Drake for stuff everybody around him has done, Kanye and Jay Z. Ye wived a stripper and uses ghostwriters. Jay Z has a long list of alleged kids and he fights in court from giving them a dna test. Pusha T himself has been accused of ghostwriting. He acts holier than thou while bragging about selling drugs to his community. "The only rapper who sold more dope than me is Eazy E" Which we all know is a bold face lie but I won't even get into breaking that down. I admit he's a great rapper and I really liked Lord Willin. Just hard to listen to him when you know all this.

I don't care if Push exaggerates. That's pretty much a theme in rap. Listen to Big L. Do you really think he lived the lifestyle he rapped about? Rick Ross? He was a parole officer. He didn't live the lifestyle he rapped about.

I don't care if they did or didn't. To me it's entertainment. That's all.

As for the beef with Wayne, Birdman, and Drake. That is what rap needed. Way better than this Migos, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Drake stuff we hear these days. Drake was absolutely destroyed on Son of Adidon. That track ranks up there with Nas's "Ether", 2Pac's "Hit Em Up", and BDP's "The Bridge is Over".

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As a music lover, I follow this thread but it heavily favors recent music, which in my Gen Xer view is a lot of crap (for the most part). What I’d really like is a good discussion of 80s ”synth pop” sound, which really came from the post punk movement, and is vastly under appreciated and dismissed. You can’t dismiss what you don’t know.

Anyone on here who has not listened to the following albums in full, cannot properly speak about 90s music or rap in an intelligent way.... they influenced all music beyond and musicians from Cobain to Flea to Beck to probably Drake
1. London Calling...The Clash, end of ‘79
2. Entertainment....Gang of Four, end of ‘79
3. New Gold Dream....Simple Minds, ‘82
4. Power, Corruption and Lies....New Order, ‘83
5. Soul Mining, US release....The The, ‘83
6. The Smiths (torso) ....The Smiths ‘84

Carry on....

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I admit I never considered it from this angle. However, the beef dynamics in rap never mattered much to me. I've always viewed them as semi-serious wrestling promos. Maybe that's just an outsider's perspective.

The thing against Drake felt a little drastic, but gladly Adidon's not on Daytona -- a nice, tight accompaniment to my cruising the blocks.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As a music lover, I follow this thread but it heavily favors recent music, which in my Gen Xer view is a lot of crap (for the most part). What I’d really like is a good discussion of 80s ”synth pop” sound, which really came from the post punk movement, and is vastly under appreciated and dismissed. You can’t dismiss what you don’t know.

Anyone on here who has not listened to the following albums in full, cannot properly speak about 90s music or rap in an intelligent way.... they influenced all music beyond and musicians from Cobain to Flea to Beck to probably Drake
1. London Calling...The Clash, end of ‘79
2. Entertainment....Gang of Four, end of ‘79
3. New Gold Dream....Simple Minds, ‘82
4. Power, Corruption and Lies....New Order, ‘83
5. Soul Mining, US release....The The, ‘83
6. The Smiths (torso) ....The Smiths ‘84

Carry on....

this is literally what every generation thinks about every generation that comes after it.

There's a lot of good music from back then. There's a lot of good music even older than that. And there's a lot of good music right now. Of course if you compare the best albums of a generation to the everyday music coming out right now, it's going to look like new music sucks.

If I want to be a music historian I should know about those albums. But to 99% of the world, it really doesn't matter. All of the bands you listed were just as influenced by the generation before them. Do we need to go and listen that list before we can listen to your list? And that list of artists is influenced by an older generation and so on and so on.

ps: great list. Awesome albums.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
this is literally what every generation thinks about every generation that comes after it.

There's a lot of good music from back then. There's a lot of good music even older than that. And there's a lot of good music right now. Of course if you compare the best albums of a generation to the everyday music coming out right now, it's going to look like new music sucks.

If I want to be a music historian I should know about those albums. But to 99% of the world, it really doesn't matter. All of the bands you listed were just as influenced by the generation before them. Do we need to go and listen that list before we can listen to your list? And that list of artists is influenced by an older generation and so on and so on.

ps: great list. Awesome albums.

Great, a dialogue

Of course there are earlier influences for almost every musician as you say, but there are threads of direct lineage for certain groupings of music that don’t exist for others. I left out rock....just because rock is heard in The Clash and Gang of Four doesn’t mean they were building on a foundation of rock....personally I think rock went somewhere else, in a different direction that pretty much sucks today. But just because Johnny Ramone took the downstroke from Communication Breakdown and made “punk” out of it doesn’t mean they were influenced by LZ and you don’t have to listen to LZ (except to get a sense of what they were rebeling against). Actually think Prince and MJ were more influenced by rock, r&b...

I brought out this list of what I think are the beginnings of new wave or synth pop (I’d add the Police and Talking Heads too) because I think it directly informs the pop music today , electronic, computer etc, that a lot of you guys are talking about....I think it’s a direct descendant, unlike other styles of music, and it gets a bad rap, no pun intended...

Also, this was the music that was very popular when I was in high school and college....my nephews are in high school now and it’s just completely awful what they listen to...

I would love a list of what you think are the best albums of this generation....and I mean mainstream albums because so were the Talking Heads, Police, Clash, The Smith’s...in fact I saw those bands in concert at the Civic Arena, Stanley and/or Fulton theatres (actually, I think the Clash played at CMU)

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Great, a dialogue

Of course there are earlier influences for almost every musician as you say, but there are threads of direct lineage for certain groupings of music that don’t exist for others. I left out rock....just because rock is heard in The Clash and Gang of Four doesn’t mean they were building on a foundation of rock....personally I think rock went somewhere else, in a different direction that pretty much sucks today. But just because Johnny Ramone took the downstroke from Communication Breakdown and made “punk” out of it doesn’t mean they were influenced by LZ and you don’t have to listen to LZ (except to get a sense of what they were rebeling against). Actually think Prince and MJ were more influenced by rock, r&b...

I brought out this list of what I think are the beginnings of new wave or synth pop (I’d add the Police and Talking Heads too) because I think it directly informs the pop music today , electronic, computer etc, that a lot of you guys are talking about....I think it’s a direct descendant, unlike other styles of music, and it gets a bad rap, no pun intended...

Also, this was the music that was very popular when I was in high school and college....my nephews are in high school now and it’s just completely awful what they listen to...

I would love a list of what you think are the best albums of this generation....and I mean mainstream albums because so were the Talking Heads, Police, Clash, The Smith’s...in fact I saw those bands in concert at the Civic Arena, Stanley and/or Fulton theatres (actually, I think the Clash played at CMU)
I will certainly admit that I don't listen to very many albums as a whole at this point, but I'll give it a go from what I do know. Also, I don't actually know what's popular outside of the mega popular like T-Swift and Drake these days. But I don't dig very far for my music, so I assume anything I listen to is at least somewhat mainstream. I'm also not sure what actually falls under "this generation". Here are the albums I like the most from when I was in middle/high school and college (~ 1999-2008), and then more recent than that. And I am going with what I like the most, I am in no way a well educated music fan, so these are just my taste. I like listening to music, but I don't know shit about it. There's nothing close to authority here :laugh: In no real order.

School years

Blink 182 - Enema of the State
Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Eminem - The Marshal Mathers LP
Outkast - Stankonia
Matchbox Twenty - Exile on Mainstream

Recent - I know way less here

Childish Gambino - Camp
Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap (I think that's a mix tape, and I have no idea how that's different from an album :laugh: )
Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment - Surf

But like I said, I'm not a great person to do this because I very rarely actually listen to albums.

I assume things like Pinkerton and Smash are old enough to be a different generation than the current generation. Though that's probably where my whole first list fits better than being called modern.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I will certainly admit that I don't listen to very many albums as a whole at this point, but I'll give it a go from what I do know. Also, I don't actually know what's popular outside of the mega popular like T-Swift and Drake these days. But I don't dig very far for my music, so I assume anything I listen to is at least somewhat mainstream. I'm also not sure what actually falls under "this generation". Here are the albums I like the most from when I was in middle/high school and college (~ 1999-2008), and then more recent than that. And I am going with what I like the most, I am in no way a well educated music fan, so these are just my taste. I like listening to music, but I don't know **** about it. There's nothing close to authority here :laugh: In no real order.

School years

Blink 182 - Enema of the State
Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Eminem - The Marshal Mathers LP
Outkast - Stankonia
Matchbox Twenty - Exile on Mainstream

Recent - I know way less here

Childish Gambino - Camp
Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap (I think that's a mix tape, and I have no idea how that's different from an album :laugh: )
Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment - Surf

But like I said, I'm not a great person to do this because I very rarely actually listen to albums.

I assume things like Pinkerton and Smash are old enough to be a different generation than the current generation. Though that's probably where my whole first list fits better than being called modern.

Thanks
It’s funny...your school years definitely include what I consider a lot of 90s rock and alternative rock, even late 90s, and several songs from those groups inhabit my 90s playlist....I love 90s rock, probably New Miserable Experience is my favorite album from then, a little earlier though....

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad