OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread | Can I Dance to It?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've never been a fan of instrumental ability for it's own sake. Used to listen to Tool in high school but it hasn't been my thing for decades and Rush, well...their song The Trees may be my least favourite song ever for a host of reasons.

But everybody's gotta put food on the table.

I love how Neil Peart has always maintained it's just a silly song about some trees that doesn't mean anything.

Sure, bub.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I've never been a fan of instrumental ability for it's own sake. Used to listen to Tool in high school but it hasn't been my thing for decades and Rush, well...their song The Trees may be my least favourite song ever for a host of reasons.

But everybody's gotta put food on the table.

If I had the time I'd edit a video of Sprong Highlights with Fly by Night.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Like, I'm glad the guys from Rush all made their music teachers happy, but there's not a single Rush song that I would pay money to listen to.

There's a section in "Spirit of The Radio" I quite like. But otherwise I tend to agree. Rush is just a little too... I dunno... masturbatory? And since I'm not a drummer that instantly removes a lot of built in appeal. I often get the feeling that most Rush fans are just huge drum nerds. Though (side note) as a huge guitar nerd... the wanky guys never made an impact on me. Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, EVH, etc. Much respect and everything... just not really, like... listenable.

I dunno. There just seems to be so much to choose from in that era. Rush was always kind of far down the list to me and by the time I got around to them I just kinda shrugged.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's a section in "Spirit of The Radio" I quite like. But otherwise I tend to agree. Rush is just a little too... I dunno... *********ory? And since I'm not a drummer that instantly removes a lot of built in appeal. I often get the feeling that most Rush fans are just huge drum nerds. Though (side note) as a huge guitar nerd... the wanky guys never made an impact on me. Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, EVH, etc. Much respect and everything... just not really, like... listenable.

I dunno. There just seems to be so much to choose from in that era. Rush was always kind of far down the list to me and by the time I got around to them I just kinda shrugged.

Yeah. I've always made a huge distinction between instrumentalism and musicality.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ya'll are using a bunch of music nerd terms about musicality or something, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents
G5XHRV5.jpg

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For reference, my favourite guitar solo is probably this one from Hubert Sumlin, a blues player who readily admitted that most guitarists could play circles around him but the who's who of guitar legends (Richards, Clapton, Hendrix, Beefheart (Harkleroad), SRV, Gibbons) adored:

I once heard someone say he played with "knife fighter reserve". I think that applies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
WC, have you seen the Lightnin' Hopkins documentary The Blues According to Lightnin' Hopkins ? It's right up your alley, I think.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Marc Bolan was pretty upfront about where he was just stealing **** from, which I appreciate.

Oh for sure. I generally don't judge much, to be honest. Unless it's a straight rip with accompanying denial (see: Ice, Vanilla). Nothing new under the Sun and all that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
WC, have you seen the Lightnin' Hopkins documentary The Blues According to Lightnin' Hopkins ? It's right up your alley, I think.

No, but I have a free weekend and the only thing vying for my attention is the Criterion Channel, so I'll give it a go!

Welp... now I know where "Jeepster" by T-Rex came from.

No shit eh. Jeepster kind of takes the piss out of it a bit.

I don't like much electric blues because it falls into cliches way too often, but that rocking chair album kicks ass all over the place - it's definitely worth your time. Set the "charismatic lead singer/guitar duo" template for rock, and did it better (IMO). Wolf used to shake up a can of coke, put it in his pants, then after crawling on all fours and up curtains, he'd unzip his pants and spray it on the audience haha.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No **** eh. Jeepster kind of takes the piss out of it a bit.

I don't like much electric blues because it falls into cliches way too often, but that rocking chair album kicks ass all over the place - it's definitely worth your time. Set the "charismatic lead singer/guitar duo" template for rock, and did it better (IMO). Wolf used to shake up a can of coke, put it in his pants, then after crawling on all fours and up curtains, he'd unzip his pants and spray it on the audience haha.

There is nothing quite like the original article. That's for sure. You hear where all of this stuff came from and it really sort of blows your brain. Not because it's a revelation that these white electric blues guys stole all this stuff. Everyone knows that. But because of how ahead of it's time and in many ways still-fresh it comes across. Like you pointed out... maybe a lot of people would not be overly impressed by the guitar work, there. But it's super evident how it fits so absolutely perfectly. It really is playing FOR the song. And that's the most important thing in the end... not showing off.

All that said... I'll always have at least a little soft spot for Zep, T-Rex, Stones, etc. They undeniably ripped a bunch of stuff but I still feel they did enough to make the sound their own and further expand on the ideas.

Finally unpacked and set up my record player today. Doesn't sound so good after being in storage for 4+ months.

My brother and sister are in for the holiday weekend and we're actually spinning records, right now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There is nothing quite like the original article. That's for sure. You hear where all of this stuff came from and it really sort of blows your brain. Not because it's a revelation that these white electric blues guys stole all this stuff. Everyone knows that. But because of how ahead of it's time and in many ways still-fresh it comes across. Like you pointed out... maybe a lot of people would not be overly impressed by the guitar work, there. But it's super evident how it fits so absolutely perfectly. It really is playing FOR the song. And that's the most important thing in the end... not showing off.

Absolutely. It's evergreen, I'll never get tired of it.

All that said... I'll always have at least a little soft spot for Zep, T-Rex, Stones, etc. They undeniably ripped a bunch of stuff but I still feel they did enough to make the sound their own and further expand on the ideas.

For sure. White rock artists inspired by the blues often get the short end of the creative stick in the sense that borrowing and re-working riffs was always part of blues culture right back to Robert Johnson, but none of them made enough money to be worth suing about.

I mean, these are all clearly the same riff, but you never hear Johnson or Wolf being called thieves.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I Love RUSH but hate "The Trees" (not for the political implications...I just think it sucks as a song). Unlike most of you, I've always been fairly mainstream in my rock tastes - raised on Zep, Floyd, Aerosmith and RUSH and still love it all. I've tried to like other stuff but I just don't.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I Love RUSH but hate "The Trees" (not for the political implications...I just think it sucks as a song). Unlike most of you, I've always been fairly mainstream in my rock tastes - raised on Zep, Floyd, Aerosmith and RUSH and still love it all. I've tried to like other stuff but I just don't.

There is nothing better in rock than late 60s-70s music...the recording techniques, the amps, the guitar sound, the talent...won’t be anything like it again...it’s not mainstream, it’s just the best, whatever permutations the rock music came in, so enjoy it...I think I must have listened to like 300 bootlegged 70s concerts by now, and I don’t care if it takes my time away from listening to the overproduced computer generated music of the last 20 years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad