Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Jankowski got sent down likely because they've got Monahan/Backlund/Bennett/Stajan ahead of him. The only guy on that list Jankowski might be better than (this season) is Stajan, but they probably would rather him play top line minutes in the AHL rather than limited, 4th line minutes in the NHL.

This. If we're not prepared to give up ZAR+ or Sprong, there's no chance that Jankowski would be an option. And even then he still might not be. Teams do not usually like to give up big skilled young centers who have the ability to produce. Last year as an AHL rookie, he scored 27g/56pts in 64 AHL games. Honestly? He would probably be more expensive then most of the guys we've talked about getting - significantly more expensive.

This. There is a lot of anger in Calgary that he was sent down. He clearly beat out 4-5 guys that are still on the Flames. Seems like right now they are not wanting him playing 4th line minutes and are waiting for a trade to happen. That said the Pens could probably get Stajan for really cheap right now.

I thought Jankowski had made the team as a left-winger until Jags was signed. In any case, Rip is probably right about the cost of acquiring a young player like Jankowski. Stajan is not someone I'd have much interest in. Too much money for what he brings to the table.

That said, there are going to be players available for trade. It's not necessarily the players we have already mentioned and are targeting on this board. It could be someone else.

I will continue to believe that JR might be waiting for Hornqvist to regain full health, so as to either ship him or someone else in order to land a center.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I thought Jankowski had made the team as a left-winger until Jags was signed. In any case, Rip is probably right about the cost of acquiring a young player like Jankowski. Stajan is not someone I'd have much interest in. Too much money for what he brings to the table.

That said, there are going to be players available for trade. It's not necessarily the players we have already mentioned and are targeting on this board. It could be someone else.

I will continue to believe that JR might be waiting for Hornqvist to regain full health, so as to either ship him
or someone else in order to land a center.

Man, I hope not. He would likely be the best piece to land a center, but Id take a slightly worse center with Horny staying than a slightly better one and losing him.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Ehlers re-signed in Winnipeg for 7 years at $6 million AAV, there's your comparable to use for Guentzel next summer.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I will continue to believe that JR might be waiting for Hornqvist to regain full health, so as to either ship him or someone else in order to land a center.

STOP TRYING TO TRADE HORNQVIST

Reactions: tom_servo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hey, where's my new avatar?

Can we do a tagline instead (is that still a thing on this version)? I'm not very creative with the avatars.

If you say yes and it's possible, I'd like to do with this from Happy Gilmore:

"I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the wrost. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive."

Just replace the you's with Shady Machine.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Can we do a tagline instead (is that still a thing on this version)? I'm not very creative with the avatars.

"I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the wrost. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive."

Such a waste. Make him have a My Little Pony avatar and we can call him a brony.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What a strange off-season for the Pens. Rutherford played it exceedingly conservative. I don't agree with his strategy and I really don't like this roster as-is. But he knows better than me so hopefully McKegg isn't total trash and/or Jimmy makes a trade early in the season.

I am just shocked he didn't address the center situation over the last 3.5 months. I assume he was lying when he said he had 5 or 6 trades up his sleeve. I suspect he was exaggerating and no one fell for it. I just have a hard time believing he couldn't work out a deal with so many options.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
After finding the movie Zootopia to be the best movie I've seen in years, I'm really not going to make fun of someone for liking a kids show or movie :laugh:

Anyway, Friedman came out with his 31 thoughts today and said the Penguins got tired of waiting for Athanasiou to sign, so they moved on from Sheahan. I'm guessing yesterday was the cutoff or they'd move Pouliot elsewhere if that's the case.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Give him a Greg McKegg avatar, since that's our new 3C. Or maybe one of Rutherford mid-nap.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Understandable, but this is Sid's best winger since Hossa.

Looks that way, but I've seen a plethora of great combos split up over the years, so while I'd love to say they will be together forever, I can't fully convince myself of that either.
After finding the movie Zootopia to be the best movie I've seen in years, I'm really not going to make fun of someone for liking a kids show or movie :laugh:

Anyway, Friedman came out with his 31 thoughts today and said the Penguins got tired of waiting for Athanasiou to sign, so they moved on from Sheahan. I'm guessing yesterday was the cutoff or they'd move Pouliot elsewhere if that's the case.

Pierre McGuire was on NHL radio this morning and said he would be pretty surprised if the roster they start with tonight isn't different by April. Said "Jimmy" was bound to make some moves.

Pretty obvious stuff but whatever.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I'm prepared mentally for a few months of Kegger at 3C unless he is a colossal failure (likely possibility, but I'm trying to be upbeat).

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
JR is just being patient for the right move. We have time and things will open up some as the season goes on. I'm cautiously optimistic that Kegger will be a serviceable center for us. My bet is that JR does his usual by christmas thing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What a strange off-season for the Pens. Rutherford played it exceedingly conservative. I don't agree with his strategy and I really don't like this roster as-is. But he knows better than me so hopefully McKegg isn't total trash and/or Jimmy makes a trade early in the season.

I am just shocked he didn't address the center situation over the last 3.5 months. I assume he was lying when he said he had 5 or 6 trades up his sleeve. I suspect he was exaggerating and no one fell for it. I just have a hard time believing he couldn't work out a deal with so many options.

Honestly, how many times are you going to say the same thing complaining about the same crap?

I found "Secret Life of Pets" strangely comforting.

I think if AA signs, I still think there could be a deal for Sheahan. I don't think his value is undoable. AHL dman + 4th? We could do that. Hell, Kuhnhackl+4th is roughly that value.

And who knows what develops throughout the season. To be quite honest, there are a couple teams I think we should keep an eye on who have several centers that have to play wing. Take Eric Fehr - center mainly, comes here and is put on wing and is honestly, only so-so. Looked best at center. There could come a time where a team may be willing to make a swap. Vegas and Carolina come to mind.

The pursuit is most certainly not over .

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
I found "Secret Life of Pets" strangely comforting.

I never saw it to be honest, I was curious about it because Louis CK was in it, but I think the reviews for it were kinda *****y.

I think if AA signs, I still think there could be a deal for Sheahan. I don't think his value is undoable. AHL dman + 4th? We could do that. Hell, Kuhnhackl+4th is roughly that value.

And who knows what develops throughout the season. To be quite honest, there are a couple teams I think we should keep an eye on who have several centers that have to play wing. Take Eric Fehr - center mainly, comes here and is put on wing and is honestly, only so-so. Looked best at center. There could come a time where a team may be willing to make a swap. Vegas and Carolina come to mind.

The pursuit is most certainly not over .

I do think the Penguins can circle back around to Sheahan if the option becomes available, but I think they're done waiting on Detroit to figure out AA's situation so they can trade for Sheahan. Like he's still an option, and if AA signs soon, I think the Penguins can still trade for Sheahan, but they're just opening up new options at this point because of the feet dragging Detroit is doing. They're just not settled on Sheahan anymore, he's just an option now for them because the deadline for the deal passed.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I never saw it to be honest, I was curious about it because Louis CK was in it, but I think the reviews for it were kinda *****y.

Personally i think its was a good concept that started fine but went off the rails into something certainly different that what i was expecting.

Its not horrible by any mean but IMO not exactly good either.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I wouldn't compare the bronies to liking a movie like Zootopia or Finding Dory. Hell, the Lion King is still one of my favourite movies.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't compare the bronies to liking a movie like Zootopia or Finding Dory. Hell, the Lion King is still one of my favourite movies.

Meh, I don't view it as all that much different depending on what you mean. People who just like the show and that's it? You do you, good for you. That's the way I meant, liking a kids show or movie may be a little weird, but it's not really anything bad or embarrassing. People who make it their lives? Yeah, that's really weird and you probably need to find a new hobby :laugh:

Like if you love the movie Zootopia, I'd call you smart and good for you. If you start cosplaying as Judy Hopps every day in your life, maybe you should just relax a little :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Personally i think its was a good concept that started fine but went off the rails into something certainly different that what i was expecting.

Its not horrible by any mean but IMO not exactly good either.

Yeah not what I was expecting, but you can't ignore a dog with Kevin Hart's voice and temperament. It's just delightful.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Meh, I don't view it as all that much different depending on what you mean. People who just like the show and that's it? You do you, good for you. That's the way I meant, liking a kids show or movie may be a little weird, but it's not really anything bad or embarrassing. People who make it their lives? Yeah, that's really weird and you probably need to find a new hobby :laugh:

Like if you love the movie Zootopia, I'd call you smart and good for you. If you start cosplaying as Judy Hopps every day in your life, maybe you should just relax a little :laugh:

Yeah, it happens.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ehlers re-signed in Winnipeg for 7 years at $6 million AAV, there's your comparable to use for Guentzel next summer.

Was just messing on capfriendly, and assuming you keep Rust, Sprong, ZAR, and send out Horny, Hags, and Cole and replace most with internal options, we are left with $4mil+ and the need for 3C, 4C, and two 4th line wings. I had Simon and DiPauli in there. So not undoable. Trade Kessel and you have $11mil in space.

Depth will take a hit but you have to hope that our young guys progress well enough to replace Hags and Horny effectively. Ideally, Sprong and ZAR do just that.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Pierre McGuire was on NHL radio this morning and said he would be pretty surprised if the roster they start with tonight isn't different by April. Said "Jimmy" was bound to make some moves.

Pretty obvious stuff but whatever.

Way to go out on a limb there, Pierre - the Pens are likely to make a move before the playoffs? What a scoop! :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'll be down if anyone can show me how. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad