Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Colbourne would be worth a claim if you ignored his contract, but he makes $2.5 million a year. He can play center, but he's more of a LW than a center and he's not worth as much money as he makes. I'd rather pull a Jokinen type of situation with him, let him clear waivers and then trade for him with the Avs retaining a million or so.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
God, no. We shouldn't be picking up other team's garbage.
It is possible that good players play like garbage on garbage teams with garbage GMs that treat their players like garbage.

Not saying we should pick up Colbourne, just saying he's probably not as bad as his season in Colorado says on paper.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It is possible that good players play like garbage on garbage teams with garbage GMs that treat their players like garbage.

Not saying we should pick up Colbourne, just saying he's probably not as bad as his season in Colorado says on paper.

He had an extraordinary bad season last year, but other than one year in his career, he's been nothing special his entire career.

The guy's dad is super rich as well (Oil exec), so I'm not sure how motivated the guy is to actually work hard every game.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Colbourne is like Fehr and Sutter mixed into one. Big but really soft. He's not as bad as he was in Colorado but not as good as he was in his final year in Calgary.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it would be a problem to bring in a guy that's Sutter and Fehr combined (but I think Colborne is more of a playmaker than either of those guys though), but it's just not a gamble I'd want to take when he's making $2.5 million a year. Then again, he only makes half a million more per year than Sheahan makes and is a free agent after the year.

My only question for you on bringing him in is do you think he can be a good enough 3C here? Because at the salary he makes, he kinda has to be that good, because that uses up a majority of their cap space to bring him in. Do you think he can play at the level he was at in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015, where he put up a 10 goal, 32 point pace while playing center a good amount? He's not a bad player despite what happened last year with the Avs, but I'm not sure he's a guy that you'd bring in with the intent on playing him at center. He's the kind of player you put on wing with someone like Sutter IMO, I'm not sure he's the kind of player you have at 3C.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Pickard has to be getting traded, which would be a mistake on Vegas's part, no way they run 3 goalies? He's one of the best young goalies in the game. I'd want him here alot more than Niemi, Pickard is a future starter.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd so wish we signed Jussi for 1 million....he's a legit 3C, well when he plays centre. Much much better than Greg mcgregg.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
I'd so wish we signed Jussi for 1 million....he's a legit 3C, well when he plays centre. Much much better than Greg mcgregg.

I think Jussi is similar to Colborne in terms of play style to be honest, he's a guy who can play center, but you'd prefer to have him on the wing. I would have been fine with entering this year with him as the 3C, though.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think Jussi is similar to Colborne in terms of play style to be honest, he's a guy who can play center, but you'd prefer to have him on the wing. I would have been fine with entering this year with him as the 3C, though.
Jussi is a much smarter player. And has better offensive skills, But he is passive and soft like colborne.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I could see Jussi with some combo of Hagelin, Hornqvist, and Rust on his wings. Would make up for his biggest deficiencies (speed, too soff) and hed make up for theirs (lack of creativity).

The more I think about it the more I like it, but not having watched him much last year I would just be hesitant about how much he has left in the tank at his age.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I could see Jussi with some combo of Hagelin, Hornqvist, and Rust on his wings. Would make up for his biggest deficiencies (speed, too soff) and hed make up for theirs (lack of creativity).

The more I think about it the more I like it, but not having watched him much last year I would just be hesitant about how much he has left in the tank at his age.

I like Jussi, but I feel like he is a Jagr like player. We just have too many better options in our top six and even nine. I wouldn't play him at wing over Sheary, Rust, Hags, Horny, Kessel or Jake.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017

He also signed with the Oilers, so it's not even realistic for the Penguins to bring him in.

Send Hagelin to Avs for Colbourne... open up the cap space

Why would either team do that though?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I like Jussi, but I feel like he is a Jagr like player. We just have too many better options in our top six and even nine. I wouldn't play him at wing over Sheary, Rust, Hags, Horny, Kessel or Jake.
I mean in the context as a center. I wouldn't play him as a wing, so if that was the direction the team was thinking then yeah, I wouldn't be for it.

He also signed with the Oilers, so it's not even realistic for the Penguins to bring him in.
Oh, you know, maybe trade for him? Kind of like what the plan has been per JR since the offseason? Not that I'm necessarily advocating it, but considering the only thing we've been talking about for 3 months is trading for a center I don't think you can dismiss anyone because they're on a roster already...

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Oh, you know, maybe trade for him? Kind of like what the plan has been per JR since the offseason? Not that I'm necessarily advocating it, but considering the only thing we've been talking about for 3 months is trading for a center I don't think you can dismiss anyone because they're on a roster already...

Why would the Oilers be trading Jokinen when they signed him over the summer and they're also contending?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why would the Oilers be trading Jokinen when they signed him over the summer and they're also contending?

I think everyone might need an offseason or two to get into the swing of things when it comes to taking the Oilers anything close to seriously. I know it's still throwing me way the hell off.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe they wouldn't, but I just found it weird that you dismissed someone because they were already signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad