Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
He looked like a plugger the few games I saw him in Toronto.

Watching him during preseason and he was generating consistent scoring chances for himself and made a number of nice area passes to give his linemates good looks on net. I suspect he will generate a decent amount of offense but lack finishing touch.

I'm guessing if he works out, it will be as a fourth line pivot.

It's all speculative though. I don't think any of us really know what he is to be truthful.

It doesn't sound like his play is the worst. But also not a great option for 3rd line center on a team that wants every line to score.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Is there really any reason to acquire Sheahan? Isn't that more or less just throwing crap at that wall and hoping something sticks? We have plenty of crappy 4C tweeners.

I think it is just making a move to make a move, really. I'd rather keep the cap space for a long-term 3C. You might as well just roll with our two cheap centers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Is the penalty merely a fine for being over the cap? I tried googling and came up with this:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-nhl-fines-10-teams-for-salary-cap-violations

If so is this not merely another way to cheat the cap? Teams like Toronto do not care about money, and could easily eat a $10 million 'fine'.

Is the only penalty monetary? That seems to be counterintuitive or teams would be abusing this yearly. So there must be a penalty in draft picks or similar, right?

I found this.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2...lary-floor-noncompliance-why-teams-dont-cheat

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Yeah, I figured that it had to be something more than a fine. Losing draft picks I had thought of, but forcing a GM to resign or suspending them is some really out there stuff. The league put some real bite into those rules, I suppose knowing how quickly many would cheat if given the chance.

Yeah, Holland will have to do something by 5 pm. I doubt that the league would do it, but they could actually suspend him if he fails to do it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can a team win the Cup with Wilson-Rowney-Reaves as the 4th line? I suppose so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If the other three lines are potent and that line only has to basically provide physicality, solid defense, and chip in once in a while, why not?

People forget we won the Cup last year by essentially being top heavy. We got very little offense from anyone outside of 4 guys (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel). Our vaunted, irreplaceable Nick Bonino only had 7 points all playoffs. Hagelin had 2 points. We didn't win last year based on a 4-line attack.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just want to remind everyone that Warm Cookies and I had a bet regarding the regular season roster. I bet we wouldn't bring in another NHL center before the season starts and he bet that we would. We are down to the wire here. I think we made the bet sometime back in August.

I wouldn't dream of welching. But I've still got a day, dammit!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If I remember the Forsberg for Erat was more desperation because he felt that he would be fired if he did not succeed in the playoffs. Rightly so.

It was stupid but you can not discount that factor.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If the other three lines are potent and that line only has to basically provide physicality, solid defense, and chip in once in a while, why not?

People forget we won the Cup last year by essentially being top heavy. We got very little offense from anyone outside of 4 guys (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel). Our vaunted, irreplaceable Nick Bonino only had 7 points all playoffs. Hagelin had 2 points. We didn't win last year based on a 4-line attack.

Yes we did for the 10,000 time.

Cullen and Bonino were buried in terms of zone starts and still produced. That is a four line attack. When every line has a center that can put up 30+ points in the regular season. That is a four line attack. When your bottom six centers put up 14 points while eating 70-80% of the defensive zone starts that opens up your top six for a four line attack.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We were top heavy for scoring last year it is true.

Until the final game that is, when our 4th line scored both goals. Even on the most top heavy teams, the depth forward scoring is usually good for at least 15 goals throughout the tournament. If our depth forward scoring dropped heavily, I think we'd struggle to win.

But then our 4th line in the final game was Hornqvist and Hagelin. No guarantees what the play-off lines look like right now, particularly when we've got at least two AHL forwards who are a decent bet to finish the season as valued members on the big team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

And last year was a struggle. We got some luck and were opportunistic but that's not the way Sully keeps preaching for this team to play. And I don't think it's sustainable long term. We need to have scoring depth and run four lines that are each a threat to score...or at least three. We don't even have three right now

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Sure, but that's been my point all summer haha. YOU NEED A GOOD 3RD LINE CENTER TO HAVE A SHITTY 4TH LINE!!!!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It doesn't sound like his play is the worst. But also not a great option for 3rd line center on a team that wants every line to score.

I don't believe he will actively hurt them as a third pivot. Mostly see him playing to a draw if things work out.

The chances he turns into a legit third pivot that tilts the ice and gives them a three line attack is probably wishful thinking though.

Basically I'm guessing he's a decent placeholder until JR makes a move. Gives him experience to hopefully be an effective fourth pivot when the deal is made.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is the penalty merely a fine for being over the cap? I tried googling and came up with this:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-nhl-fines-10-teams-for-salary-cap-violations

If so is this not merely another way to cheat the cap? Teams like Toronto do not care about money, and could easily eat a $10 million 'fine'.

Is the only penalty monetary? That seems to be counterintuitive or teams would be abusing this yearly. So there must be a penalty in draft picks or similar, right?

I do not think that is correct. You're allowed to bump bonus overages into the following season. Besides, last year with Letang on LTIR, we would have had all the cap space we needed to do whatever we wanted with. Notice there's absolutely no indication from the NHL or capfriendly that fines were actually issued to teams? I think the writer just doesn't know what they're talking about, and everyone else ignored them (TSN, SN, etc).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Many other teams have won a cup with a 4th line like that... not sure why it would suddenly be an issue now. Just means we need proper depth in the top 9.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sure, but that's been my point all summer haha. YOU NEED A GOOD 3RD LINE CENTER TO HAVE A ****TY 4TH LINE!!!!

But those are two independent points? The quote of mine you orginally responded to was simply about whether a team can win with Carter Rowney on your 4th line, which you expanded to include Wilson and Reaves. So I said I think a team can win with those guys as a fourth line, if the top nine is deep.

You're basically connecting every single argument into one, when sometimes they're actually independent discussions.

I get it. You don't like the 3C situation. But not every single discussion about the roster has to go back to "BUT THAT'S WHY WE NEED A GOOD 3C!!!!!".

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: