Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe they wouldn't, but I just found it weird that you dismissed someone because they were already signed.

It just doesn't make sense. Teams rarely sign players to 1 year deals and trade them unless they are basement dwellers.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
From Mackey:

It was Sheahan when Detroit GM Ken Holland went to Toronto to meet with Andreas Athanasiou, and that was deal was expected to come together. It hasn't. And it seems like Detroit is reluctant to deal Sheahan now because Athanasiou is leaning toward not playing in the NHL. Bozak is another name I've heard. Have not heard Lowry or Marchessault.

So I'm starting to buy the idea that the Penguins had the Sheahan deal worked out, but they set a deadline and then retracted the deal when they couldn't wait any longer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marchessault would be an odd choice given the fact he's a winger and, as far as I know, has never played center at the NHL level.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So... if I'm reading this story right, Jiri Hudler is allegedly in some hot water for some antics on a flight from New York to Prague. Threatened the life of some of the flight attendants. I wasn't clear on whether or not this was before or after he demanded (more) cocaine from at least one of them.

This all begs the question as why none of you are aggressively advocating for the team to sign this guy like yesterday. Imagine how great he'd be in the locker room!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So... if I'm reading this story right, Jiri Hudler is allegedly in some hot water for some antics on a flight from New York to Prague. Threatened the life of some of the flight attendants. I wasn't clear on whether or not this was before or after he demanded (more) cocaine from at least one of them.

This all begs the question as why none of you are aggressively advocating for the team to sign this guy like yesterday. Imagine how great he'd be in the locker room!

The Belfour of our generation.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
What's the deal with AA? Russia bound?

He's more of a winger at the NHL level, no? He'd be a super intriguing acquisition.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Way to go out on a limb there, Pierre - the Pens are likely to make a move before the playoffs? What a scoop! :laugh:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the front offices when JR, Sully, and Co discuss the direction of the team and who they see fitting in and where. As we are seeing now, there are gaps in the roster. We are weak in one area, gluttonly deep in another, and good in the last two (center, wing, defense, goalie).

You have to give to get who if you want to make a long term move...who out of that gluttonly deep area do you send out? Knowing what each one provides, it's tough. Like where do they see Sprong in relation to Rust, Sheary, Jake, and Kessel? Is a long term top 6 of Jake, Sheary, Rust, Sprong the direction? Send Kessel out for a couple young guys or picks. Knowing what Horny brings to the table in the playoffs...how can you want to move away from that? I can see Hagelin on the chopping block. Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Archibald are all just pawns. You have Simon and DiPauli who may be able to step up. Johnson and Bleuger are certainly interesting developments but still relatively unknown quantities outside of potential 4Cs. There's just a lot of avenues to explore...I'd love to have coffee with JR and learn about the orgs views.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Send Hagelin to Avs for Colbourne... open up the cap space

Colbourne isn't nearly a good enough player to consider doing that. I might consider it for Sodo, but would really rather try and wait things out and to get Colorado to retain a little, so as to keep Hagelin. The guy doesn't score as much as we'd like, but he's a great depth player, and one I'd like to try and keep at all costs.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maybe they wouldn't, but I just found it weird that you dismissed someone because they were already signed.

Most GMs are not going to be all that interested in trading a player that hasn't played a game for them yet that they just signed as a FA. This wasn't someone that was a throw in on a trade... they signed him for a reason. Now if he's playing like crap 30 games in, then perhaps it's time to revisit things... but until then, dismissing him because he just signed is fairly appropriate.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Colbourne isn't nearly a good enough player to consider doing that. I might consider it for Sodo, but would really rather try and wait things out and to get Colorado to retain a little, so as to keep Hagelin. The guy doesn't score as much as we'd like, but he's a great depth player, and one I'd like to try and keep at all costs.
Sodo has been so bad, not only last year but into this preseason, that he's starting out this season as healthy scratch in the press box.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sodo has been so bad, not only last year but into this preseason, that he's starting out this season as healthy scratch in the press box.

I refuse to buy into the idea that a player went from posting 45-50 points in 3 straight seasons then under a new coach where the whole team is brutal suddenly forgets how to play hockey.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Colbourne can be had for free on waivers. Hes a decent 3rd line center, liked him here in Calgary. However Im not sure Id want him at 2.5mil. Its only for 1 more year though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Colbourne can be had for free on waivers. Hes a decent 3rd line center, liked him here in Calgary. However Im not sure Id want him at 2.5mil. Its only for 1 more year though.

I just do not see the upside to him. I think at his very best he would be a very meh center for us. Sure the risk is mitigated to an extent with his contract only having 1 year on it, but it kills our remaining cap space. Right now if we spend 2m ish on our #3C we'll have enough cap space at the TD to do whatever the hell we want. We want Thornton (and he'd come here), cap wise, we can afford it. We want some other expensive #3C to push down the guy making 2m? Cap wise we can afford it - without having to dump salary. Which means if we're only picking up someone who's going to be meh to average when at his very best... they have to be cheap, so that if overall it's not working that we have options at the TD.

I know we've tossed Sheahan around a ton, but even him I don't think is a great option. But he's cheap - both apparently to acquire and against the cap (he's also youngish). Which means even if it's not a perfect match, we would have the cap space to try and correct things later on. As they start to make more than 2m, that gets harder and harder to do. I'm also not willing to move Hagelin for anything other than an ideal fit. We might have to lose him this summer, and it'll be sad, but if we have to, so be it. But we should be trying to keep him at all costs in the meantime. And Colburne isn't nearly good enough to make me want to move Hagelin.

That said... McKegg didn't really bother me tonight. There were a few things I wished he would have done differently... but overall he did better than I expected. The whole team felt and looked out of sorts... but that extended from the 2nd line to the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->