Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like a betting man would hustle down to lay on AA going to the KHL.

Also, maybe bet on Pittsburgh not having their 1st in the next draft too.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's a world of difference between "We'll be fine until the right move comes along" and "Eh, good enough, I'm comfortable." DK's headline implies the latter, the JR quote implies the former.

Reactions: Peat

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I bet the 3C options are Duchene, Haula, Girgensons, and Sheahan. Absolutely one isn't an option because JR said he has three but still. Mock Trades:

Haula for Simon+Kuhnhackl+2nd

Girgensons+4th for Simon+Kuhnhackl+ 2nd

Sheahan+MTL 6th for Kuhnhackl+3rd

Duchene for Lauzon+Sprong+Hagelin+1st

Which ones are close?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I bet the 3C options are Duchene, Haula, Girgensons, and Sheahan. Absolutely one isn't an option because JR said he has three but still. Mock Trades:

Which ones are close?
they are all good till the other gm hangs up.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

In the times I've seen McKegg, he looked like an AHL center, not an NHL 3C. Of course, Rutherford isn't going to publicly say he's desperate, but deep down, I think he wants an NHL 3C sooner rather than later. I don't think he's going to get the deal he wants, and he/Sully will eventually try Guentzel there, especially if a wing in WBS shows that he's ready to contribute meaningfully to the big club.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Sid's power extends to no Horny on his line and trading for an enforcer, then I think it also extends to getting a 3C that isn't his favourite winger ;)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In the times I've seen McKegg, he looked like an AHL center, not an NHL 3C. Of course, Rutherford isn't going to publicly say he's desperate, but deep down, I think he wants an NHL 3C sooner rather than later. I don't think he's going to get the deal he wants, and he/Sully will eventually try Guentzel there, especially if a wing in WBS shows that he's ready to contribute meaningfully to the big club.

If Crosby and Guentzel stop clicking, then I'm not overly opposed to seeing him move back to his natural position as a third pivot. I suspect he may slide there if one of Crosby or Malkin is hurt for any extended time and JR hasn't found a suitable third line pivot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's a world of difference between "We'll be fine until the right move comes along" and "Eh, good enough, I'm comfortable." DK's headline implies the latter, the JR quote implies the former.

I'm shocked that DK would misconstrue something. Utterly shocked. :sarcasm:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hard to imagine Guentzel falling off, short of a series of debilitating injuries.

But we are the Pens, so...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Out of all the ones you posted, this is the only one that might even come close to getting a deal done. And that's only if Botteril likes those two players.

I thought that was the most unrealistic one in the batch. That is a disgusting overpayment for Girgensons.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Mark Jankowski sent down by Calgary. May have lost his spot in the NHL to Jags, or maybe he was sent down as a paper move for the cap and he'll be up tomorrow. Either way, I am monitoring this one because I still believe he is the type of center we might be able to land relatively cheaply with far more upside than the Sheahan's of this world.

Also, Petan won the fourth-line center job in Winnipeg (I think), and Jack Roslovic was sent back to the AHL last week. Two more intriguing targets. I am also keeping an eye on Ivan Barbashev in St. Louis. I assume he won the No. 3 center job with so many others injured, but not positive.

For now, I guess we can survive with just McKegg and Rowney.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Which ones are close?

None of them are remotely close.

Kuhnhackl has 0 value. Every team has their own version of him. Simon also has proven absolutely nothing as of yet.

Further, Sprong has officially surpassed Despres as the move overrated prospect of this team over the last 10 years. You don't trade Duchene for a complete unknown, a late first pick and a cap dump unless Don Waddell is the GM.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Mark Jankowski sent down by Calgary. May have lost his spot in the NHL to Jags, or maybe he was sent down as a paper move for the cap and he'll be up tomorrow. Either way, I am monitoring this one because I still believe he is the type of center we might be able to land relatively cheaply with far more upside than the Sheahan's of this world.

Also, Petan won the fourth-line center job in Winnipeg (I think), and Jack Roslovic was sent back to the AHL last week. Two more intriguing targets. I am also keeping an eye on Ivan Barbashev in St. Louis. I assume he won the No. 3 center job with so many others injured, but not positive.

For now, I guess we can survive with just McKegg and Rowney.

Jankowski got sent down likely because they've got Monahan/Backlund/Bennett/Stajan ahead of him. The only guy on that list Jankowski might be better than (this season) is Stajan, but they probably would rather him play top line minutes in the AHL rather than limited, 4th line minutes in the NHL.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Jankowski got sent down likely because they've got Monahan/Backlund/Bennett/Stajan ahead of him. The only guy on that list Jankowski might be better than (this season) is Stajan, but they probably would rather him play top line minutes in the AHL rather than limited, 4th line minutes in the NHL.

This. If we're not prepared to give up ZAR+ or Sprong, there's no chance that Jankowski would be an option. And even then he still might not be. Teams do not usually like to give up big skilled young centers who have the ability to produce. Last year as an AHL rookie, he scored 27g/56pts in 64 AHL games. Honestly? He would probably be more expensive then most of the guys we've talked about getting - significantly more expensive.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Other aspect of the Pooh deal is JR just picked up more cap space to spend on his 3C if need be.

Trade/Waive McKegg out and its 3.28M in space.
Thats with Archie still up. Him waived gives him. 3.955M in space.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Yah Sprong is so overrated on here if people think he can replace Kessel.

Not sure I totally agree with this. I don't think anyone is saying Sprong is "better than Kessel, today." However, my take has been that people feel he is very Kessel-like (good skater, elite shot, nice passer, not real good defensively). So, from that perspective, I can see the logic that if he may evolve into a Kessel-like, or even Kessel-lite, type of player, plugging him into Kessel's slot could make sense, even as early as late this year.

HOWEVER, I am not advocating trading Kessel. I think PK serves an important need here, and trading him while inserting Sprong into his slot is not the route I'd take if I were in charge. My only point is, I don't think that those who are seeing a player who -- from all indications -- has the same strengths as Kessel, and appears to be on track toward realizing those strengths at the NHL level, and thus suggesting him as a likely "Kessel," are grossly overrating him.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
This. There is a lot of anger in Calgary that he was sent down. He clearly beat out 4-5 guys that are still on the Flames. Seems like right now they are not wanting him playing 4th line minutes and are waiting for a trade to happen. That said the Pens could probably get Stajan for really cheap right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad