The road to the playoffs: Who will be our opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If Jersey ends up getting swept in the first round, have to think they get some backlash for not even trying to get 3rd or first WC.

Tampa and Boston have been better than the Pens all year. Doesnt matter about previous seasons. Never seen a team rest their players while in this position before.

Isles did it to face the Panthers a few years ago and a weaker division. Jersey is fine with going to a division who had 3 of the best teams in the conference?

Weird decision.

Especially after the year Hall had. One goal away from 40. In the race for the HART. And the team rests their players. Not a good way to finish the season if they get beat pretty easily in the first round.

Jersey was slated to finish like 29th - 31st by most pundits. The fact they made the playoffs is ridiculous. Even a sweep is amazing.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Hopefully the Lightning win tonight as well so that the whole schedule is set and it can be released ready for next week. Don't want to have wait for the Boston game tomorrow for that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think the way they looked at this was it didn't matter who they played, so best not to play Hall and risk him to injury.

If Hall doesn’t win the Hart it is complete BS. Best part is we will be able to see the Edmonton media who will put McDavid over him.

No one has a case like him, which is crazy given what MacKinnon did this year.

I’d go top five votes as

Hall
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Kucherov
Malkin

And Malkin and Kuch being that low is INSANE given the seasons they have had.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Hall doesn’t win the Hart it is complete BS. Best part is we will be able to see the Edmonton media who will put McDavid over him.

I’d go top five votes as

Hall
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Kucherov
Malkin

I love Geno. I think Kucherov had an incredible year. But, I'd put Giroux above both.

BTW, IF Colorado wins, I've got MacKinnon over Hall. As bad as people expected New Jersey to be, Colorado was expected to be the worst. Worst in the league by 30 points last year, then the Duchene trade . . . nobody expected this.

McJesus deserves next to no consideration. If Mario didn't win the year Gretzky led the Kings to the playoffs, then McJesus has no business winning-- or coming close-- now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I love Geno. I think Kucherov had an incredible year. But, I'd put Giroux above both.

BTW, IF Colorado wins, I've got MacKinnon over Hall. As bad as people expected New Jersey to be, Colorado was expected to be the worst. Worst in the league by 30 points last year, then the Duchene trade . . . nobody expected this.

McJesus deserves next to no consideration. If Mario didn't win the year Gretzky led the Kings to the playoffs, then McJesus has no business winning-- or coming close-- now.

I think Giroux suffers from the same issue that Marchand does. He played with Couts, Konecky and Voracek.

But yeah, I totally get the argument.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Would have been funny if Flyers already had a spot locked in the playoffs and they rested all their guys too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Giroux suffers from the same issue that Marchand does. He played with Couts, Konecky and Voracek.

For sure.

My ballot, IF I had one . . .

MacKinnon (IF Colorado makes the playoffs)
Hall
Kopitar
Giroux
Kucherov

I think Geno needed to finish stronger in the Art Ross and Rocket Richard races to merit top 5 consideration. McJesus should NOT merit top 5 consideration, but I think he'll get it.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Uh oh . . . Devils score . . . 3-2 Caps.

EDIT: 2-0 Preds

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Mcdavid deserves mvp, I hate the most valuable to your team bs.

In every other sport, they give mvp to best player.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Playing Tampa isnt such a bad thing for a first round game. Stamkos isnt even practicing right now with his injury

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I’d go top five votes as

Hall
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Kucherov
Malkin

And Malkin and Kuch being that low is INSANE given the seasons they have had.

I hate the Flyers but Giroux has a strong case. 2nd in the scoring race. It's him, Hall, and Mackinnon as the top 3 imo. Still undecided on exactly how I'd do it.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Then it isn’t a MVP. It is a best player award. MVP would mean your team actually accomplished something.

Yeah. It should be a best player award.

We have the conn smythe to determine the most valuable player of the real season, which is all we need.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah. It should be a best player award.

We have the conn smythe to determine the most valuable player of the real season, which is all we need.

Be a diff story if they barely missed out on the playoffs, then id agree. But to be as bad as they were? Not to mention he only went on his run when they were eliminated and they moved RNH up to his line.

Not a chance he deserves it.

Do agree a team shouldnt have to make the playoffs. Other things have to be considered tho as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad