The road to the playoffs: Who will be our opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel like hoping for a specific opponent always works out badly, so I'll say it doesn't matter.

The-Office-Quote-1.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Thank you NHL for ending the season with a pair of back to backs against well rested opponents to end the season. After making almost half the season back to backs, more than any other team in the NHL.

We get the message. You are tired of the Oens winning cups.

Doesn’t Vegas have the least back-to-backs too? Could be wrong, but if true I’m sure that’s not a funny coincidence.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
^ Yeah man I do not understand the scheduling. At all. At all. Back to back games, 3 days off, back to back games. How many times has that happened across the league all year? I'd doubt many at all. That's a bull**** schedule.

Been the case all year. Knew we would already have problems this year with so many games played the last two years, we didnt anymore help from the NHL to mess with the team being able to get into a rhythm

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
As for the playoffs, this year is reminding me of the "old days".

Ovechkin and Giroux are back to being at the top in scoring.

Boston looks dangerous again.

Kings are back, with Kopitar and Carter tearing it up.

Yeah we have new teams in Nash, Jets, and Tampa...but dont be surprised if its one of Pitt/Boston/LA winning the cup again.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My take is this: Do not wish for any opponent. We can beat any opponent and we can lose to any opponent. But here is how I feel we match up against each team.

- Philly:
How we beat them: I think we match up best against Philly. Their goaltending/defense would be beatable. I think the Pens would be favored. I do think overall we have better depth and would be able to attack Philly.

How they would beat us: Make it a transition game and get turnovers converted to goals. Also their powerplay may be average for NHL, but it always does well against us. Even if they aren't scoring, I feel they build momentum off it.

- Columbus:
How we beat them: Speed is what we need to beat Columbus. Once again, I think we have depth but they will play tougher hockey. We can dictate based off speed and hopefully Bob still has playoff nightmares against us.

How they beat us: Slow the game down and convert. A couple guys who can do that? I think we already know who can do that. Panarin is a Penguin killer. A guy you probably aren't thinking of is Vanek. With our defense and their inability to box out, Vanek could be a huge problem for the Pens. And bob has to be regular season bob.

- Devils:
I won't even go too far into this. Their speed and tenacity is enough to give us fits each game. They just need goaltending to be superb and I am not sure Kinkaid can keep that level of play. But there is no doubt this is the one matchup I do not want to mess with. Their speed could be big problems for the Pens.

- Capitals:
How we beat them: It's Washington vs. Pittsburgh in the playoffs. We are in their heads and I actually think we match up well against them. They don't have a strong defense and they have a weaker offense than last year. I feel we could take advantage of 5 on 5 and we just need their goaltending to play average.

How they beat us: They get good goaltending and their powerplay crushes out shitty PK. If they win the special teams by a big margin, I feel they could get that victory against us.

For the record - i think we'd be a slight edged favorite in each of these matchups. I do not think any of the teams would take a betting line against us. But obviously betting lines don't mean shit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm hoping it's Philly because I really can't see a team with that defense and goaltending beating the Penguins. Sure, anything can happen and all of that, but a Mrazek led team against the Penguins with Derrick Brassard as their 3C? Yeah, I'm not worried.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My take is this: Do not wish for any opponent. We can beat any opponent and we can lose to any opponent. But here is how I feel we match up against each team.

- Philly:
How we beat them: I think we match up best against Philly. Their goaltending/defense would be beatable. I think the Pens would be favored. I do think overall we have better depth and would be able to attack Philly.

How they would beat us: Make it a transition game and get turnovers converted to goals. Also their powerplay may be average for NHL, but it always does well against us. Even if they aren't scoring, I feel they build momentum off it.

- Columbus:
How we beat them: Speed is what we need to beat Columbus. Once again, I think we have depth but they will play tougher hockey. We can dictate based off speed and hopefully Bob still has playoff nightmares against us.

How they beat us: Slow the game down and convert. A couple guys who can do that? I think we already know who can do that. Panarin is a Penguin killer. A guy you probably aren't thinking of is Vanek. With our defense and their inability to box out, Vanek could be a huge problem for the Pens. And bob has to be regular season bob.

- Devils:
I won't even go too far into this. Their speed and tenacity is enough to give us fits each game. They just need goaltending to be superb and I am not sure Kinkaid can keep that level of play. But there is no doubt this is the one matchup I do not want to mess with. Their speed could be big problems for the Pens.

- Capitals:
How we beat them: It's Washington vs. Pittsburgh in the playoffs. We are in their heads and I actually think we match up well against them. They don't have a strong defense and they have a weaker offense than last year. I feel we could take advantage of 5 on 5 and we just need their goaltending to play average.

How they beat us: They get good goaltending and their powerplay crushes out ****ty PK. If they win the special teams by a big margin, I feel they could get that victory against us.

For the record - i think we'd be a slight edged favorite in each of these matchups. I do not think any of the teams would take a betting line against us. But obviously betting lines don't mean ****.

I think CBJ is faster than they were last year with the addition of Panarin and deeper on defense...but you’re right, none of these teams is a bad match for us, except NJD. Of course, if any of them gets good goaltending and we don’t, that’s the end of the POs for us...

I think we have a real shot at getting out of the Metro again and playing in the ECF. I don’t like our chances to advance there, however, particularly if we’d play BOS....

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think CBJ is faster than they were last year with the addition of Panarin and deeper on defense...but you’re right, none of these teams is a bad match for us, except NJD. Of course, if any of them gets good goaltending and we don’t, that’s the end of the POs for us...

I think we have a real shot at getting out of the Metro again and playing in the ECF. I don’t like our chances to advance there, however, particularly if we’d play BOS....

Totally agree. I think on paper Columbus and NJ are the two opponents where I think it's a coin flip. But Kinkaid/Bob could bomb big. So there is no guaranteeing ANYTHING. If the Pens play a team defense game, Murray is playoff Murray, and the stars are stars - we should win. But it's seriously just a 50/50 coin flip.

Reactions: Andy99

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That whole post season Bob meltdown for Columbus narrative is overblown.

They only have gone to the playoffs three times and two of the times Bob's meltdown was against the Pens. Who have made a habit of destroying the top goalies in the league in the playoffs. Where is the post season Rinne meltdown narrative? Holtby? Lundqvist? And on and on.

Bob's only issue is shared with the rest of the top goalies in the NHL. The Pens own them when the games count. The Pens have had more trouble with some no name goalies playing the series of their lives than the name goalies for the most part.

Reactions: vodeni and ncm7772

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

They only have gone to the playoffs three times and two of the times Bob's meltdown was against the Pens. Who have made a habit of destroying the top goalies in the league in the playoffs. Where is the post season Rinne meltdown narrative? Holtby? Lundqvist? And on and on.

Bob's only issue is shared with the rest of the top goalies in the NHL. The Pens own them when the games count. The Pens have had more trouble with some no name goalies playing the series of their lives than the name goalies for the most part.

Bobrovsky .887 SV% 3.83 GAA
Rinne .917 SV% 2.35 GAA
Holtby .932 SV% 2.00 GAA
Lundqvist .922 SV% 2.28 GAA

Reactions: Ogrezilla and Turin

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rinne .917 SV% 2.35 GAA
Holtby .932 SV% 2.00 GAA

Again, Columbus has only been to the playoffs three times and had them ended early by the Pens twice.

Those numbers do not dispute my point. They fit the point well actually.

What are Rinne, Holtby and Lundqvists numbers in the playoffs against the Pens? I know much worse than their usual numbers.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I don't think it's overblown at all. He was as bad as MAF's worst debacle last year. He was scoring on himself, letting up bad goals, not consistent at all. He was BRUTAL.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Something that doesn’t get brought up enough is coaching, and Mike Sullivan has a big ****ing advantage over Hakstol and Tortorella in a 7 game series.

Reactions: zero8771

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
who ever it is, Pens need to gain home ice vs Flyers and Columbus. If Pens lose 2 out of 3, who knows what place they end up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rinne .917 SV% 2.35 GAA
Holtby .932 SV% 2.00 GAA

Are those their PO numbers against us, or are those their entire PO numbers against everyone?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think it's overblown at all. He was as bad as MAF's worst debacle last year. He was scoring on himself, letting up bad goals, not consistent at all. He was BRUTAL.

I don't dispute that he was brutal, in contrast to his norm. I just am pointing out that we have made most of the top goalies in the league look silly in the playoffs. Rinne likely is in constant therapy because of the Pens. He had an .888 save percentage against them. And I do not even want to look at the nightmares Holtby, and the entire Caps team, has regarding the Pens.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
who ever it is, Pens need to gain home ice vs Flyers and Columbus. If Pens lose 2 out of 3, who knows what place they end up.

No reason to worry about the last game against OTT...they are tanking for Dahlin, trying to get the best odds possible since the first pick they gave up to COL is lottery protected...they have to make a decision about it...that should be one win, so all we need to do is win today or against CBJ

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Are those their PO numbers against us, or are those their entire PO numbers against everyone?

That’s everyone.

@Jaded-Fan Bob against us is .889SV% 3.75 GAA

EDIT:
@Andy99 this is against us for the others

Rinne .888 SV% 2.33 GAA (6 games)
Holtby .908 SV% 2.54 GAA (13 games)
Hank .917 SV% 2.27 GAA (22 games)
Bob .889 SV% 3.75 GAA (12 games)

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We're in for a Hell of a 1st round, regardless. Hoping the lull the past couple of weeks is just the big guns pacing themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad