The road to the playoffs: Who will be our opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
True, but hes being outdone already by Jersey sitting everyone.

Lol this ending to the season is crazy. I thought we were gonna have teams fighting for position. But them seeing the Pens win the last two nights changed everything.

Also hope Murray is watching this game. Flyers have a potent offense and Giroux with a career year. He really needs to up his game again. Like I said before, he really shouldnt feel much pressure knowing he will basically be spotted 3-4 + goals a game.

I try to avoid saying one matchup will be better than the other, because you never know what's going to happen in a series, but it's pretty clear that the Flyers, on paper, are the least unfavorable matchup for the Pens.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The only worry I have against the Flyers is some of their players getting nasty and injuring ours. We should beat them. Anything can happen in the playoffs though.

Yes, because the Capitals and Blue Jackets are poster children for clean play. Hell, even the Devils have ass clowns like Wood skating around taking cheap shots.

Reactions: Shady Machine

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
The amount of people that worry about this stuff. It’s the playoffs. It’s going to be nasty no matter who you play.

He listed 3 allegedly illegal activities. Everyone just knows the NHL will allow players to just be mauled against the rules, and it's considered normal. What a dumb league. I wonder how many assaults to Crosby's neck and head the NHL will just permit this postseason. It was two or three last year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I try to avoid saying one matchup will be better than the other, because you never know what's going to happen in a series, but it's pretty clear that the Flyers, on paper, are the least unfavorable matchup for the Pens.

Yup. And as I said..crazy things have happened between teams that are big rivals..in any sport.

Its all about Murray for me. Offense will be fine. He needs to come out games 1 and 2 like he did the last few years and we are fine.

I think we beat Philly regardless of his play, but I dont want it to be 5-4..6-5 every game. That doesnt help Murray going forward.

Epecially if its the Caps again in round 2. People forget how close both of those series were. Murray stole the series two years ago and Fleury last year. And we had timely scoring(goaltending allowing it to happen) .

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
He listed 3 allegedly illegal activities. Everyone just knows the NHL will allow players to just be mauled against the rules, and it's considered normal. What a dumb league. I wonder how many assaults to Crosby's neck and head the NHL will just permit this postseason. It was two or three last year.

Yeah theres a reason we wasted a first round pick on Reaves last year. And passed up some very good prospects(Hague would have been a helluva pick..guy will be a beast in this league on D for years to come and is already gonna be in the nhl next year).

The Pens front office was pissed at the league for what they allowed. It almost cost us the cup..a few times. And we barely hung on because of it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yup. And as I said..crazy things have happened between teams that are big rivals..in any sport.

Its all about Murray for me. Offense will be fine. He needs to come out games 1 and 2 like he did the last few years and we are fine.

I think we beat Philly regardless of his play, but I dont want it to be 5-4..6-5 every game. That doesnt help Murray going forward.

Epecially if its the Caps again in round 2. People forget how close both of those series were. Murray stole the series two years ago and Fleury last year. And we had timely scoring(goaltending allowing it to happen) .

The Flyers lack the Pens high end depth and have more questions on defense and in net even when viewed through the lens of someone who worried about the Pens defense and goaltending.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I know they are. But, it's still hockey. Even the best laid tanking plans don't always work out.

Yeah the Devils are putting Schneider back in net. After the year hes had...you know hes going to want to have a great game and not going to go along with the teams plans.

I started to think the Caps finally learned and are built for the playoffs...but seeing them ice everyone and likely playing AO for over 25 minutes to get 50 goals, another year with no cup for them. Team doesnt get it.

Makes me appreciate the Pens even more, our players know what they had to do to stay as fresh as possible for a cup run. Theres no doubt they(Sid/Geno) could have competed for the ART if they went all out for 82 games. And not saying they decided early on not to try for some personal hardware because both of them got back into the race after some ridiculous stretches, but going cold for a few games while RNH was put with McDavid to push him to the top..you could see our guys starting to focus their attention back to the playoffs. They werent going to chase that and wear themselves down.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What's really surprising to me is that CBJ and NJ don't mind dropping down to the 2nd wildcard.

To me that would be a big deal, but those teams must not think that.

Facing us seems about as bad as facing Tampa/Boston.

I know Murray has been bad and we've been inconsistent but who wants to play the two time cup champs?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
People were worried about Columbus last year after getting spanked 7-1 in the reg season and just generally struggling against them. Playoffs are a different game and the Pens have a couple extra gears these teams don't. Pens should be able to beat any of their potential opponents in the first round.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
People were worried about Columbus last year after getting spanked 7-1 in the reg season and just generally struggling against them. Playoffs are a different game and the Pens have a couple extra gears these teams don't. Pens should be able to beat any of their potential opponents in the first round.

I'm confident too but much depends on how Murray plays. If he keeps playing like he has it's when not if we lose a series. Eventually we'll run into an opponent's goalie who is playing well and Murray's struggles will cost us.

Also possible we just outscore his struggles en route to another Cup. I mean our offense really is that good.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I was pretty adamant that I had zero fear of CBJ last season. It was the Caps I thought for sure would dismantle the Pens.

Boston worries me the most this season, and after the Flyers, they are the team I’d be most pissed about ending their run to history.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Face it, the Pens likely lose. Even the Caps who McCurdy has as his cup favorites have an 86 percent chance according to him of not winning the cup.

So just enjoy the ride. As long as Philly and the Caps continue their futility runs I am good.

That said the Pens have as good a chance as any.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Face it, the Pens likely lose. Even the Caps who McCurdy has as his cup favorites have an 86 percent chance according to him of not winning the cup.

So just enjoy the ride. As long as Philly and the Caps continue their futility runs I am good.

That said the Pens have as good a chance as any.

I have no angst. If we lose, we lose. I can't get upset after the two years we just had.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Philly is my preferred matchup. They have dangerous players, but if you contain Giroux and don't take penalties they're done. They need a spanking.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Kuznetzov takes a puck to the face a minute in. God this team is dumb.

Zero reason to play all of their starters.

And on the flip side, Jersey can be a 3 seed in division instead of being WC2 and rested top guys. Hall one goal shy of 40.

Philly it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad