The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread | Tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So Hamonic can opt out and the Canucks can choose to remove this year from his contract or roll it over. Hamonic will still be on the books for next season.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Oof. If Hamonic just bails that's going to be disastrous for this already shaky looking blue line. Nobody else can really do what he does. Watch them deal Rathbone for some righthanded plug.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Reminder that this is all an invention of bad negative Benning haters trying to say Benning is dumb and not something that is, you know, real.

Reactions: racerjoe

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Oof. If Hamonic just bails that's going to be disastrous for this already shaky looking blue line. Nobody else can really do what he does. Watch them deal Rathbone for some righthanded plug.

It won't be a plug, it would be someone with leadership qualities, someone with toughness, someone like..

erik-gudbranson-2018-39.jpg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If Hamonic retires that will be close to $20M in cap space when factoring in Ferland. That's enough for two 8 year deals.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You can't decouple them like that, term and cap hit go hand-in-hand. If you want to lock up a franchise player for the full 8 years and buy 4 years of UFA, you have to pay up. If Petey gets ~8.5M x 5 like Aho did, then obviously it's gonna cost a lot more to buy an additional 3 UFA years of him in his prime.

We can't afford to be pay them any more than about ~8M each, so it's us who are forced to lower the term to get them to fit under the cap and not the other way around.

The term is the issue only because we lack the space to buy out more UFA years.

we do not know, so you may be right, but the tealeaves suggest otherwise to me.

the premise of your comments is we are in a negotiation where the canucks would like to spend money to go longterm but cannot, and hence you believe there is a longterm deal to be made that the canucks cannot make. but can you provide any evidence or indicators the players are open to being locked up for 8 years? my pessimistic view is we are not.

pettersson's interview comments a month ago telegraphed that he wants to go somewhere he can win after this pending deal if he cannot win here. which is the opposite of wanting a longterm deal. has anything been said abut him being open to a longterm deal?

right now, if the canucks and hughes both wanted to, hughes ought to be readily signed to 6-8 years using half the available cap given the heiskanen and makar deals. pretty obviously he is not getting makar money and he needs to stretch to claim he is worth more than heiskanen. the canucks do have enough cap to sign hughes longterm to at least a 6 year deal (unless he wants more than heiskanen got at 8 years which is, objectively, unreasonable). that should be doable if hughes is willing.

a long term deal with hughes is also what we heard would happen initially, but then we heard from multiple sources that it was not happening. instead we now are hearing about bridges or walking to free agency. which imo the canucks can afford.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Second hand but some news:

if correct, that is a high but not insane ask for a brutal term. for comparison purposes, it buys a single ufa year as opposed to kaprisov's deal buying two. otoh, pettersson is younger, plays a more important position and i think has way more upside.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
NEITHER PLAYER WANTS TO COMMIT 8 YEARS TO PLAY ANYWHERE, LET ALONE THE CLUSTERf*** THIS TEAM HAS BEEN.

This doesn't mean I think they want to leave right now, or wont extend when the next deal ends. It just means that to maximize your career earnings you can't be hitting UFA for the first time at 29/30 IMO. The best players want to maximize their earnings AND most importantly control what happens. 8 years is a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if these kids were barely into puberty 8 years ago for example of how long that is.

They also watch the best player in the league locked in on 8 years, and he looks damn miserable most of the time and it's not just because Edmonton is a bottom of the league city, it's because he's not having success and is stuck there.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How would Canuck fans feel if Benning signed Hughes tomorrow to an 8 year/$64 million deal similar to what Chabot got? And then Rathbone lights the world on fire, wins the Calder, and Hughes continues to be a dumpster fire in his own end on the third pairing and now we need to trade Rathbone because Hughes (and Ekman-Larsson) is unmovable. A 2 or 3 year bridge deal is a much better situation IMO.

If Hughes manages to stay healthy, there is close to ZERO chance that Hughes isn't a tradeable asset next summer even if he has 7 years left that pays him $8M. He isn't Tyson's Barrie's age. He'll be 22 turning 23 next summer. There will be plenty of teams who would jump at the opportunity to add a point producer like Hughes on the backend.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’d love it if hamonic is gone

he barely moved the needle.
And it means getting more term for the other contracts

I’m actually hoping he opts out for the season

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
we do not know, so you may be right, but the tealeaves suggest otherwise to me.

the premise of your comments is we are in a negotiation where the canucks would like to spend money to go longterm but cannot, and hence you believe there is a longterm deal to be made that the canucks cannot make. but can you provide any evidence or indicators the players are open to being locked up for 8 years? my pessimistic view is we are not.

Nobody outside of Benning, Petey, Hughes, and their agent knows exactly what deals are on the table from either side. Asking for proof one way or other is ultimately pointless because we're all just speculating.

What I do know is that we simply can't afford them on long term deals. Flat out, we do not have the space required.

So this entire discussion is entirely hypothetical. We'd never know one way or the other if Petey is willing to sign something like a 10M x 8 deal, because we don't have the space to even table it.

We can pretty confidently conclude that Petey is unwilling to sign a 7-8M x 8 deal, otherwise that would have been signed months ago. But that doesn't scream "term is the hold up" any more than it screams "cap hit is the hold up".

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Keep in mind we likely have to add another defender somehow.
Understood. The defense is still a project to fix. Hughes, Rathbone, OEL, Poolman are all good pieces if deployed properly. The big issue is Myers’ cap hit. He can be good in a third pairing but the money blocks getting the top 4 shut down D needed.

Last edited:

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Pettersson wants a little less than 9 million :laugh: ok when you play a full 82 game season and put up more than 66pts you can talk about those numbers but until then you need to earn that type of contract.

Reactions: Bobby9

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I’d love it if hamonic is gone

he barely moved the needle.
And it means getting more term for the other contracts

I’m actually hoping he opts out for the season

i am very pessimistic about the idea. so many things have to go right with our defence even as it is, and we just lost keeper as a depth piece.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Sedins took shorter deals as well, but the issue with doing a 5 year deal with Petey is that as indicated he would seriously leave. Hamonic opt out might just save Benning and allow (lol) him to pay them deep for 8 year deals.

I wonder if Jason Demers would like a tryout?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We can pretty confidently conclude that Petey is unwilling to sign a 7-8M x 8 deal, otherwise that would have been signed months ago. But that doesn't scream "term is the hold up" any more than it screams "cap hit is the hold up".

Yep. Agents have been valuing UFA years at sky high prices for years now. Nothing has changed except the cap isn't expected to go up all that much in the next few years.

If the Canucks are offering 8 years and valuing Petey's UFA years comparable to Petey's agent, you can bet that Brisson would be advising Petey to sign it.

Brisson and Barry have had their clients sign long term deals with the Canucks in the past. If the Canucks were such a dumpster fire, what were they advising the clients? Fact is that unless the player really dislikes the city and hates the owner, things do change. You like the GM now? There's no way to predict that he will be there 5 years later unless that team just won a Cup. Similarly, the odds are that Benning won't be the Canucks' GM in 5 years. Meanwhile, a player can ask for a trade. Is McDavid really stuck if he wants out of Edmonton? I don't think he is.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Elliotte in 32 thoughts says Canucks offer to Hughes was in the 5's before Dahlin signed and now they have to up it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad