The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread | Tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yea Hughes over Dahlin all day every day. Buffalo is a disaster, but Nucks are also among, if not the, worst coached/managed defensive team in the league.

Schmidtt will be back to form this season, while Rathbone will look great for 6 weeks before being ground down into a brain fart.

Reactions: Sneezy

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
It adds nothing to the discussion to complain about the world we live in. You can do that in the OT thread. I assume you know what world we live in and that's a world where Petey can command $9M.

EP can command 200 million for all anyone cares. That’s not the point. This is a message board where people discuss things. If you don’t like it, there’s many other things you can do with your time.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I would give petterson whatever he wants long term and trade quinn. I like him but man he looks so soft at defending sometimes. I'd rather have a more well rounded defenseman on the right side especially with rathbone emerging on the left.

But his brother said he’s elite.

Reactions: Sneezy

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He's on one of the worst NHL teams assembled in the modern era with virtually no help around him and had a bad season last year. Like virtually all his teammates. He's, all around, a better defenseman than Quinn. The difference in their offensive games (minimal) does not give Hughes much ground when Rasmus' 5v5 game is a good amount better than Quinn's.

His frame is also a good reason why he's going to be paid more. Hughes' frame, whether you like it or not, is limiting; especially in the defensive end.

I'm not saying the difference between these players is astronomical, but I think Dahlin has a good amount more potential than Hughes and deserves that reflected in his contract.

Gee it sorta sounds like Hughes' situation.

Do you remember how bad we were last year?

Dahlin is not even close to the same level offensively as Hughes. I seriously have no idea how you could come to that conclusion. Hughes is arguably the best offensive d-man in the league - how about we cherish that instead of compare it to 40-50 pt d-men?

-Dahlin comparable offensively
-Dahlin good amount more potential

Holy hell what is wrong with our fans.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Dahlin will blossom in to a better player in the long run IMHO.

If he was on the Canucks he would be an all around better D Man than QH.

Reactions: rocketchu

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
There are none. Myers and OEL are UFA years so their contracts are irrelevant. You don’t pay your RFAs the same as players you recruit in free agency or else you’d never ice a competitive team.
Saying that these players are not comps during negotiations is unrealistic. If CAA can point to 5 different stats that say that Hughes is significantly better than Myers and the Canucks are happy paying Myers $6M, they're gonna do it. Having an RFA/UFA pay hierarchy only makes sense if those UFAs are good/elite players and their stellar play sets an earnings cap. If an RFA is better than an established player who is being paid handsomely, they are going to use that in negotiations

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Hughes has outscored Dahlin by 31 points over the past 2 seasons. There’s nothing “minimal” about. Funny you’re making excuses for Dahlin’s poor play but Hughes poor play is 100% his own. Dahlin is worse defensively and offensively until proven otherwise. Of course he has potential to be better but potential doesn’t get people paid in the NHL and since the sabres overpaid Dahlin Canucks will likely have to overpay Hughes.

I don't know how anyone can suggest Dahlin (or pretty much any player in the NHL) is worse defensively than Hughes although maybe I just dreamt how abysmal Hughes was last year without Tanev. In any event, this will be interesting to circle back on in a few years. I would take Dahlin over Hughes without hesitation, and don't really understand the love the latter gets here, but time will certainly settle the debate.

Reactions: Peter10

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
There's even an additional manure line IF the genius Benning manages to do his #1 priority and sign the two future stars, which he should've done 6 months ago minimum. Even if Pettersson is signed at this point, the risk he struggles is big. He's out of the gates from the Corona seasons, was injured half last season and hasn't played in a competitive game in a long, long time. To then miss the crucial camp and important practice with the team because the GM is incompetent, icing on the cake.

Hughes is in a similar situation but he played through last season at least. I'm not entirely sure that's positive for him with how team morale plummeted.

But physically and mentally to get into the race, Hughes will probably struggle 1/4 of the season and Pettersson half. They will most probably suck in some games unless they're unreal. That's just an estimation. Great job Benning! Just great job! What a leader!

I started keeping a stark eye on the Canucks with the mindset that Benning was a below average GM. That quickly grew from disbelief into pure anger. Now I just have pure contempt for him as a GM. Nothing personal, I'm sure he's a great person, but he sucks at doing this job. He's absolutely terrible.

GMs and coaches are like modern politicians and journalists. They all just aim at staying mediocre and protect their guild, so all can get their slice of the pie. Especially GMs. No NHL entertainment franchise dares to scout the European market. I guarantee you there are 5 hockey coaches who would instantly make an impact in the NHL, but here we are. Some Finnish, Swedish and Swiss additions. All speak fluent English but naaw, they're not North American, they don't "understand the game". Have we ever heard that one before? As for the GMs in the NHL, a monkey with a tie is enough when the owners are decadent monkeys with too much money to spend on a stupid hobby.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i suppose we should count our blessings

i think looking back before the 2018 draft if someone had said in 2021 we would be having to increase our offer to re-sign the dman we would get at 7oa so as to make sure we paid more than the $6m dahlin just signed for as a bridge, we'd all have been good with that scenario.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would trade Hughes for Dahlin easily but at the same time i like Hughes, want to see what his ultimate potential is and wouldn't be shopping him

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I don't know how anyone can suggest Dahlin (or pretty much any player in the NHL) is worse defensively than Hughes although maybe I just dreamt how abysmal Hughes was last year without Tanev. In any event, this will be interesting to circle back on in a few years. I would take Dahlin over Hughes without hesitation, and don't really understand the love the latter gets here, but time will certainly settle the debate.

Tell that to Dahlin who ran away with the Green Jacket and had a worse GF%.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hughes shouldn’t be getting a penny more than Dahlin, both Petey and Hughes have a lot of holes in their game. They are great offensively but were given ample opportunity to produce and surrounded by gritty hardworking support players allowing them freedom to excel. Hughes is a defensive liability at times and looks like a fish out of water when pressured heavily, Pettersson looks like Bambi on skates and gets knocked over by a gust of wind, don’t get me wrong I love these guys but they really have to work on rounding out their games and becoming complete players, currently they’re not 8M dollar players.

Last edited:

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Apples and oranges and I doubt you really think Hughes is better defensively than Dahlin. In any event, time will tell and ultimately I really hope that you are right and that I am wrong! I just don't see Hughes ever being a great all around D-man, although he is certainly a very useful player in the right role and with the right partner, but will admit I am wrong if/when proven to be so.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hughes shouldn’t be getting a penny more than Dahlin, both Petey and Hughes have a lot of holes in their game. They are great offensively but were given ample opportunity to produce and surrounded by gritty hardworking support players allowing them freedom to excel. Hughes is a defensive liability at times and looks like a fish out of water when pressured heavily, Pettersson looks like Bambi on skates and gets knocked over by a gust of wind, don’t get me wrong I love these guys but they really have to work on rounding out their games and becoming complete players, they’re not 8M dollar players currently.

People keep saying this. The reality is Hughes counting stats blow Dahlin’s out of the water. If you’re Benning what argument can you make that he doesn’t deserve significantly more?

Reactions: rypper

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
People keep saying this. The reality is Hughes counting stats blow Dahlin’s out of the water. If you’re Benning what argument can you make that he doesn’t deserve significantly more?

Arguments don't actually matter in any negotiations, whether in sports or otherwise, as it ultimately comes down to a game of poker and trying to figure out the most/least the other side will pay/accept but in the hypothetical world where you were making a case before a third party decision maker Benning could just role some tape from last year!

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Is "Dahlin is better defensively" just jargon for he's taller? Nothing about his defending in the NHL has suggested he's better. I get the idea he could be better and he's still got a really high ceiling, and his size will allow him to better handle forwards physically, but I would love to see objective information for why he's better at defending. I don't think there is any. For every finger pointed to "but Buffalo" my counter is "But Travis Green coached team"!!!!!!!!!!

Also lol at the poker reference and backing the side of the Canucks front office.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad