The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread | Tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
How would Canuck fans feel if Benning signed Hughes tomorrow to an 8 year/$64 million deal similar to what Chabot got? And then Rathbone lights the world on fire, wins the Calder, and Hughes continues to be a dumpster fire in his own end on the third pairing and now we need to trade Rathbone because Hughes (and Ekman-Larsson) is unmovable. A 2 or 3 year bridge deal is a much better situation IMO.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This isn’t a subtweet of anyone on this board (at least I can’t recall any posters here doing it but if you did this lol @ u)

It’s been kind of funny seeing some casuals on twitter being mad at (specifically) QH for not signing a team friendly discounted deal.

I know a good portion of the same casuals took issue with any suggestions that we should be careful with Hughes long term due to him being a defensive liability - even though that’s a total valid sentiment.
It’s hilarious when someone finds people on Twitter taking a position that is inconsistent and then points to it as though those people can’t be found on Twitter discussing everything that exists and taking inconsistent positions from every possible perspective on those things.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
but to me the current impasse means pettersson and hughes currently want deals that benning cannot stomach even with his job on the line. he's never struck me as anything but a pragmatist or as tight with a dollar. so unless the canucks research guys have come up with unrealistic player valuations, my read officially becomes this is a bad situation tomorrow.

It's term. The sticking point is term and positioning for leverage on the next contract. As for JB's job on the line, we're not at that point yet.

The leverage goes both ways here: JB's need to make the playoffs on the one hand and the player's desire to put in a good showing this season after disappointing results in the last.

All of their shortcomings have come up during contract negotiations (hopefully couched diplomatically), so they're probably raring to prove management and the naysayers in the public wrong to some extent.

Add to that, players want to be around their teammates. It's the one common element that all retired players say they miss - the comaraderie.

There's enough incentive there that they should sign soon. Hopefully not the 5-year offer that EPs side tabled though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How confident are we, as Canucks fans, that Benning is the right guy to get these two players signed to contracts that are best for the club?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office

Apparently sleepy Jim can't get a deal done over the phone unless he is in the same time zone as the agent. Reminds me of the trade deadline when he missed out on trading Hamhuis to the Stars because he woke up too late.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
On a sidenote, it's kind of weird neither side has filed for arbitration. Do both sides feel they would get the short end of the stick?

Neither guy has arbitration rights yet. Pettersson will next year and Hughes the year after that.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's term. The sticking point is term and positioning for leverage on the next contract. As for JB's job on the line, we're not at that point yet.

The leverage goes both ways here: JB's need to make the playoffs on the one hand and the player's desire to put in a good showing this season after disappointing results in the last.

All of their shortcomings have come up during contract negotiations (hopefully couched diplomatically), so they're probably raring to prove management and the naysayers in the public wrong to some extent.

Add to that, players want to be around their teammates. It's the one common element that all retired players say they miss - the comaraderie.

There's enough incentive there that they should sign soon. Hopefully not the 5-year offer that EPs side tabled though.
Team control is nice but it seems like it’s all people value. 5 years buys a ufa year and allows him to become ufa while fairly young.

Build a good program it’s nearly guaranteed he stays after.

Remember when people continually praised how cheap Boston got Pastrnak? Part of that was less resume the other part is they traded offf paying him higher AAV for 5 years of term.

I have no problem with that. Buying one ufa year for both suits me fine. Just like they did with Bo.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Team control is nice but it seems like it’s all people value. 5 years buys a ufa year and allows him to become ufa while fairly young.

Build a good program it’s nearly guaranteed he stays after.

Remember when people continually praised how cheap Boston got Pastrnak? Part of that was less resume the other part is they traded offf paying him higher AAV for 5 years of term.

I have no problem with that. Buying one ufa year for both suits me fine. Just like they did with Bo.
For it to be a 5-year deal, the AAV would have to be quite team friendly, say, ~7 or so. This would allow for some cap flexibility to bring in another piece as the cap rises.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
For it to be a 5-year deal, the AAV would have to be quite team friendly, say, ~7 or so. This would allow for some cap flexibility to bring in another piece as the cap rises.
How does that make sense when $7m is the low end (Barzal) 3 year bridge comp? bo got $5.5m for 28, 40, and 52 point seasons (4 years ago).

That’s just trying to bend the other side in the negotiation. Pretty sure Pastrnak had less resume and signed for $6.75m like 5 years ago.

You’re looking at Aho money on a 5 as the comparable which is ~$8.5m

I’m fine with that.

Reactions: racerjoe

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

Apparently sleepy Jim can't get a deal done over the phone unless he is in the same time zone as the agent. Reminds me of the trade deadline when he missed out on trading Hamhuis to the Stars because he woke up too late.

what a stupid post, JB has cap space unless either wants more than they are worth.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
i literally dgaf about term if you bridge them and they pop the f*** off then they're worth what ur gonna pay them when you reup anyway

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
but to me the current impasse means pettersson and hughes currently want deals that benning cannot stomach even with his job on the line.

Benning can't stomach those deals because he filled up on breadsticks, Pearsons, and Poolmans before the main course.

Leaving yourself with very limited room to negotiate around your cornerstone franchise players is certainly an interesting decision to make.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
I would offer:

Quinn Hughes - 7m x 3 year bridge deal
(prove you have what it takes to be an elite defence man on both sides of the puck)

Elias Pettersson - 9m x 6 year
(compromise on term, he still gets to UFA at 28 in the prime of his career)

If the players don’t accept these offers, I consider them to be unnecessarily greedy and put the fault on them not the team or Benning.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I would offer:

(prove you have what it takes to be an elite defence man on both sides of the puck)

If the players don’t accept these offers, I consider them to be unnecessarily greedy and put the fault on them not the team or Benning.

We don’t have the cap space for that.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So when do we start getting worried?
When the last handful of Benning supporters get worried. Unfortunately they wont and infact may even praise Benning for this process and blame everyone under the sun who is not Benning...

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I would offer:

6.0-7.0M for Hughes

7.5-8.5M for Pettersson

Thats the range they’re discussing (my guess) and it’s ridiculous both sides hold out when you finally hear the contract terms and everyone says - really?!?

Reactions: Sneezy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad