The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread | Tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
While I'm with 100% certainty am not being sarcastic in my confidence that Benning will solve this, I'm amusing myself watching a horde of monkeys going on a rampage. I don't know why, but it's what what I found while having my thoughts about the management situation for the Canucks.

I mean, look at them go. Organized, with a purpose and just as well thought out as the Canucks manag... I mean... I didn't mean that. On a second note, that's alot of monkeys. Just put up a bunch of signs with crucial management decisions and whichever way the majority of the monkeys run, you do that. Then you can sack the GM with probably better results.

Do you think I can apply to become the GM for the Canucks? Me and say 200 monkeys? I would prefer 500 if it's in the budget, it will give enhanced decision making. Can you imagine if a franchise won the Cup with 500 monkeys as the bosses? 200 on a budget, 25 if we're going Melnyk style but then I cannot guarantee any good results. You get what you pay for.

Even better, if there's ever a media interaction, I pick the PR monkey in a suit and have him eat grapes on TV and preferably not shit on the cameras. It will be a work in progress.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
So what's with all your convoluted math: "with makar, for the rfa years to be $6m means the ufa years would be $15m each".

so from a post where i did the exact same math for both heiskanen and makar's salaries you want me to believe you honestly concluded i was suggesting hughes should be paid the exact same as makar?

i mean why even post this?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No need to panic or worry things I've read because guys like Brock and Horvat signed in September before, so I guess just move on and don't care. Oh wait September is almost over but no need to worry or panic got it :popcorn:

Well Rantanen signed on Sept. 28. Can't you wait one more day before panicking? :popcorn:

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
so from a post where i did the exact same math for both heiskanen and makar's salaries you want me to believe you honestly concluded i was suggesting hughes should be paid the exact same as makar?

i mean why even post this?

Because you're the one who broke down Makar's contract so that his RFA years were worth $6,000,000 (the same as the hypothetical Hughes bridge contract) leaving you with a $15,000,000 per annum value for his UFA years. If a bridge deal for Makar was discussed I'm guessing the RFA years were valued at at least $7,500,000. or $8,000,000 which would give a value of $12,000,000 or $11,000,000 per annum for his UFA years: which would be pretty reasonable for a perennial Norris contender.

I said from the outset that 6 million per for a bridge would be stingy on Benning's part, but it's not like its the most insulting contract on offer ever: Dahlin just signed for that amount. If you don't think Hughes should make as much as Makar, what would you value his RFA and UFA years at?

Reactions: mossey3535

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If a bridge deal for Makar was discussed I'm guessing the RFA years were valued at at least $7,500,000,

well that was my point. we agree. i think even higher. at least $8m, and i think heiskanen was around $7-7.5m for his rfa years.

which is why i think if the canucks were below $6m on an offer with hughes on any term at any time after heiskanen and makar signed then the canucks were way off. hughes is not $2m worse than makar. they were close in their rookie seasons and makar is on a better team (to make jack hughes' point more politely).

there is also a player relationship to manage here. suppose you are skeptical of hughes for whatever reasons. he is still a marquee player. you don't lowball and trash him. you offer a bridge that is slightly more than you should. better to leave a little on the table for three years than have hughes not interested in talking to you in three years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If that means one can stay calm until Petey and Hughes get signed then sure. :thumbu:
Honestly we don’t know what the ask and offers have been, which is good that there are no leaks.

but if they are asking for the Toronto premium like M and M, then this is going to drag out.

If JP Barry believes that since they got the best of Benning in the Loui and Myers deal that he can do the same here then this will continue to drag out.

takes two sides to come to a deal.

I’m all for paying what the market dictates just not a premium.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I would give petterson whatever he wants long term and trade quinn. I like him but man he looks so soft at defending sometimes. I'd rather have a more well rounded defenseman on the right side especially with rathbone emerging on the left.

Reactions: MarkMM and JLo217

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
listened to the 32 thoughts podcast.

it was not negative or critical or pessimistic in the least

friedman said to start he thinks canucks believe they have made a good three year offer on pettersson and are not inclined to move on it.

as for hughes canucks were apparently below dahlin's deal on a short term offer but know they have to revisit. he mentioned he thinks they were previously higher on a longer term deal and he mentioned, i think, "in the 7s".

the way he discussed it, i almost think we might be back to the "petey first" situation. it also sounded like canuck sourced info to me, but that is pretty subjective.

i should have taken notes.

Reactions: MarkMM and vanarchy

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Seems like an overly simplistic view, because "depending on their ask" is doing a LOT of lifting here. If they're asking for valuations in line with their peers and not willing to offer a discount, it'll be extremely tight to fit them both in. If they are willing to take some discount or short-term deals, why wouldn't they already be signed?

OK I can be clearer, unless the players are asking for more than they are worth the Canucks have space, if they are asking for lets say $10M each then they don't have space. And we all know or can agree neither are worth that at the moment.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
listened to the 32 thoughts podcast.

it was not negative or critical or pessimistic in the least

friedman said to start he thinks canucks believe they have made a good three year offer on pettersson and are not inclined to move on it.

as for hughes canucks were apparently below dahlin's deal on a short term offer but know they have to revisit. he mentioned he thinks they were previously higher on a longer term deal and he mentioned, i think, "in the 7s".

the way he discussed it, i almost think we might be back to the "petey first" situation. it also sounded like canuck sourced info to me, but that is pretty subjective.

i should have taken notes.

Did you listen to the whole thing or just the part about the Canucks? Did you also get the feeling they were talking about Duncan Keith with the Ken Holland "stuck his neck out for you" part?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Did you listen to the whole thing or just the part about the Canucks? Did you also get the feeling they were talking about Duncan Keith with the Ken Holland "stuck his neck out for you" part?

crossed my mind. wondered about rnh also. definitely they were soft doxxing on purpose.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Basically what I said a few days ago. Dahlin screwed the market. f*** the sabres for overpaying just for the sake of it.

That seems really low to me. If they’re actually bickering down around that number then just get it done.

Maybe the plan is to low ball Hughes to sign Pettersson long term? Haha.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

Basically what I said a few days ago. Dahlin screwed the market. f*** the sabres for overpaying just for the sake of it.

Dahlin is better than Hughes. It shouldn't move it up too much. That's assuming the one negotiating in the Canucks' favour knows what he's doing..

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Dahlin is better than Hughes. It shouldn't move it up too much. That's assuming the one negotiating in the Canucks' favour knows what he's doing..

There’s not a single number or statistic or shred of evidence that suggest that outside of where Dahlin was drafted.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That seems really low to me. If they’re actually bickering down around that number then just get it done.

Maybe the plan is to low ball Hughes to sign Pettersson long term? Haha.
$5's can be just under $6 mill at $5.75 or $5.8 mill.
Higher than Mcavoy/serg at $5 mill on a bridge.

we don't know what the players are asking.

Pay the fair market price.
But don't give Long term AAV for an Intermediate term, nor an Intermediate AAV for a bridge deal.

Reactions: MarkMM

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
There’s not a single number or statistic or shred of evidence that suggest that outside of where Dahlin was drafted.
He's on one of the worst NHL teams assembled in the modern era with virtually no help around him and had a bad season last year. Like virtually all his teammates. He's, all around, a better defenseman than Quinn. The difference in their offensive games (minimal) does not give Hughes much ground when Rasmus' 5v5 game is a good amount better than Quinn's.

His frame is also a good reason why he's going to be paid more. Hughes' frame, whether you like it or not, is limiting; especially in the defensive end.

I'm not saying the difference between these players is astronomical, but I think Dahlin has a good amount more potential than Hughes and deserves that reflected in his contract.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He's on one of the worst NHL teams assembled in the modern era with virtually no help around him and had a bad season last year. Like virtually all his teammates. He's, all around, a better defenseman than Quinn. The difference in their offensive games (minimal) does not give Hughes much ground when Rasmus' 5v5 game is a good amount better than Quinn's.

His frame is also a good reason why he's going to be paid more. Hughes' frame, whether you like it or not, is limiting; especially in the defensive end.

I'm not saying the difference between these players is astronomical, but I think Dahlin has a good amount more potential than Hughes and deserves that reflected in his contract.

Hughes has outscored Dahlin by 31 points over the past 2 seasons. There’s nothing “minimal” about. Funny you’re making excuses for Dahlin’s poor play but Hughes poor play is 100% his own. Dahlin is worse defensively and offensively until proven otherwise. Of course he has potential to be better but potential doesn’t get people paid in the NHL and since the sabres overpaid Dahlin Canucks will likely have to overpay Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad