The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread | Tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Too bad it wasn’t Myers that opted out.

Not really. Myers has 3 years left at $6M. If he opts out and the Canucks choose to remove this year there will be 2 years left at $6M. Hamonic will have 2 year left at $3M with no trade protection. So if the player opts out and comes back next year it's much easier to trade Hamonic, bury his contract in the minors, or even buy him out compared to Myers.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
6 years 7.75-8 mill per.

If he wants to leave after then so be it. How long do you keep a player who doesn't want to be here? Trade him in the 4/5th season if he is still leaning towards leaving.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
6 years 7.75-8 mill per.

If he wants to leave after then so be it. How long do you keep a player who doesn't want to be here? Trade him in the 4/5th season if he is still leaning towards leaving.

I think most of us would be happy with that deal if Petey will sign it.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Not really. Myers has 3 years left at $6M. If he opts out and the Canucks choose to remove this year there will be 2 years left at $6M. Hamonic will have 2 year left at $3M with no trade protection. So if the player opts out and comes back next year it's much easier to trade Hamonic, bury his contract in the minors, or even buy him out compared to Myers.

Everybody struggles playing with Myers
It’s addition by subtraction.
If he opted out. It would be amazing.

Reactions: Peen

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Pettersson wants a little less than 9 million :laugh: ok when you play a full 82 game season and put up more than 66pts you can talk about those numbers but until then you need to earn that type of contract.

66 points in a year that the team missed 13 games because of a pandemic. That's an important omission. He had 83 points in 84 games including the playoffs that year. That is similar to the best years of Eichel, Aho, Barzal, and Draisaitl when they were on their ELCs.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You also enjoy talking about your expertise on knowing what other people think, as well. It's hardly exclusive to you.

this was 100% you taking another shot at me supposedly being critical of pettersson which is a continuation of the same dig you have been making for two weeks now. it has nothing to do with anything else.

are you here to discuss hockey or just to endlessly take snarky little shots at me hoping they will stick?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Wait …. The GM doesn’t have a long discussion about COVID / playing with a player that was hesitant and opted out of playing because of it BEFORE he signed him? Lol.

attaboy Jimmmmmmy clown shoes.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
A GM being tough in negotiations is a good thing.

Benning being stingy with his best players while handing out 3 million dollar contracts to fourth liners is just a dumbass at work though.

i think any gm offering hughes under $6m after the makar and heiskanen deals for any term would be courting longterm disaster even if he felt things were 100% ok with that player.

i guess i will have to listen to this podcast.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Elliotte in 32 thoughts says Canucks offer to Hughes was in the 5's before Dahlin signed and now they have to up it.

5M offer was too much to be honest. The kid is a shitty defender with a shitty attitude and an asshat for a brother.

Until he can keep the puck out of his net , he shouldn’t see 5M.

He will get way more because he skates well and takes chances , that gets you paid in the NHL. Meanwhile the stay at home guys that are impossible to score when they are on the ice make 20% of that.

Reactions: Bobby9

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
5M offer was too much to be honest. The kid is a shitty defender with a shitty attitude and an asshat for a brother.

haven't you been criticizing management for not getting these guys signed? now you think they are worth salaries so low that we would never be able to sign them at without playing hardball?

make up your mind.

Reactions: canucksfan

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
i think any gm offering hughes under $6m after the makar and heiskanen deals for any term would be courting longterm disaster even if he felt things were 100% ok with that player.

i guess i will have to listen to this podcast.

Offering less than 6 million is ondoubtedly stingy, but Eliotte Friedman himself reported last week that the Canucks were trying to sign Hughes to a short-term bridge. So he per annum dollar amount is not directly comparable to what Heiskanen and Makar got on longer term deals.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
6 years 7.75-8 mill per.

That is less than Aho for 5 years. So no he’s not taking that deal.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Glad to hear their previous offers to Hughes were in the fives.

That makes sense to me based on precedent. Now things change with Dahlin.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

He will get way more because he skates well and takes chances , that gets you paid in the NHL. Meanwhile the stay at home guys that are impossible to score when they are on the ice make 20% of that.

What? Shitty attitude, care to elaborate on that?

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
While he might get more money with Hamonic not playing, the defense will take a hit. The depth and quality is not there.
Yup, I wouldn't be using Hamonic's money to beef up those RFA contracts. We always lose defensemen to injuries, so we need that dough for depth.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Elliotte in 32 thoughts says Canucks offer to Hughes was in the 5's before Dahlin signed and now they have to up it.

A Proposal for the NHL’s Eichel Problem | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Just listened to that segment of the podcast: You neglected to provide any context.

He talks about the Canucks' short-term offer to Hughes (3 years) being in the 5's. On a six-year deal he says they were "obviously higher than 6...probably in the 7s, but felt they had to adjust up after what Dahlin got".

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

listen man if you want to really piss these guys off you need to stick to what you can prove. Like, I think hughes probably has a shitty attitude as well. I don't like spoiled little Marner-style My Dad is a Coach players. But I admit he hasn't done anything to justify it yet so I wouldn't go around saying it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA