Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have named Ron Hextall as general manager and Brian Burke as president of hockey operat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Burke is on 31 Thoughts.

Some quotes. This is Hexy’s team. I’m here to take off whatever he wants off his plate. But this is Hexy’s team.

Ron Hextall has the final authority on hockey operations. “Don’t think of it as veto power, think of it as a business partner”.

My goal is giving Hextall autonomy. The owner
has final say. The only deal I’ve had ended was Bobby Ryan for Keith Tkachuk.

Hextall is really bright. You can be a great goaltender and not know a thing about the game.

Drafting in Philly did a great job. I think Penguins need to be patient or impatient regarding what the state of their team is.

GMs are always better the second time around. And Hextall has benefited by that experience.

Never had a better player than Crosby. Let’s see what this team can do and then we will see in the off season if they can’t get to the playoffs.

Not trying to be dramatic. Never looked at a hill and said it is too high when it comes to a team.

I got special players, a coach and a GM I trust, who knows how good this team is if we get healthy.

so we just trust they’re going to make the POs with the current goalies and coaching staff (we won’t help them in any fashion) and then we’ll trust blow it all up our way this summer when it inevitably fails...? Doesn’t sound right

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
so we just trust they’re going to make the POs with the current goalies and coaching staff (we won’t help them in any fashion) and then we’ll trust blow it all up our way this summer when it inevitably fails...? Doesn’t sound right
What's wrong with that? If we're good enough, it's time to show it. The current roster and coaching staff have the opportunity to prove themselves. IF they cannot, changes are made. Sounds perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Let me be clear, I put them in the same category. I think they're equal as far as the level of success we've enjoyed with them leading the way. But the organIzation doesn't. Sid will always be their fancy in contrast to Geno. And they love Geno, but I'm sure they'd like to keep Sid at almost all costs. Well, ownership will, not sure about the new GM.
I don’t necessarily disagree that Crosby has been the more marketed and marketable player and probably has much closer ties to Mario than Malkin does, which all impact how the ownership group may treat both players. . . But it sounds like Mario’s preference has been to keep both players. So I don’t necessarily disagree with you that management probably looks at the two differently, but it remains to be seen what that means in terms of how they treat Malkin when his contract expires.

But the guy has certainly earned his keep here and it’s interesting to me that it is so easy to dismiss Malkin’s contribution during these conversations when, as I said before, he is just as responsible for this org’s success as Crosby.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Let me be clear, I put them in the same category. I think they're equal as far as the level of success we've enjoyed with them leading the way. But the organIzation doesn't. Sid will always be their fancy in contrast to Geno. And they love Geno, but I'm sure they'd like to keep Sid at almost all costs. Well, ownership will, not sure about the new GM.

As a practical matter only, we can’t trade Geno any time in the near future even if they want him gone...they do not have a solid replacement and even if they get a top 10 pick and take a center it still could take years...the only centers on the market are either guys just as old as Geno or someone approaching 30+ like Stepan who is no where near as good even at G’s current abilities...forget legacy and NMCs, as a practical matter it’s not happening unless he demands a trade

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
What's wrong with that? If we're good enough, it's time to show it. The current roster and coaching staff have the opportunity to prove themselves. IF they cannot, changes are made. Sounds perfectly reasonable.
This is also a message sent to the players as much as it was a PR session. It will be interesting to see how the team responds in the next few games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

because they’re failing now as anyone can see with 20% of the season gone...if your GM mandate is winning, help them...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t necessarily disagree that Crosby has been the more marketed and marketable player and probably has much closer ties to Mario than Malkin does, which all impact how the ownership group may treat both players. . . But it sounds like Mario’s preference has been to keep both players. So I don’t necessarily disagree with you that management probably looks at the two differently, but it remains to be seen what that means in terms of how they treat Malkin when his contract expires.

But the guy has certainly earned his keep here and it’s interesting to me that it is so easy to dismiss Malkin’s contribution during these conversations when, as I said before he is just as responsible for this org’s success as Crosby.
Personally I prefer Geno's game to Sid. At least when their playing to their optimal abilities. the 2009 Geno was other worldly. 2012 Geno was pretty damn good also. That said, I don't know how fun it'll be for either of them when the bloom is off the flower. And the team takes a few steps backward in terms of being viable contenders.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I just had this conversation with a coworker, if the Pens were ever going to move Malkin (they won't) it would have been best to move him after the 2017 cup. He would have brought back enough value to potentially compete for another. At this point trading Malkin will not make the current team better. So if they do trade Malkin it is admission that the door is closed and the rebuild is on.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is also a message sent to the players as much as it was a PR session. It will be interesting to see how the team responds in the next few games.
I think we're gonna win tomorrow night. If this doesn't get everyones attention I don't know what would. Well, until a big shake up with coaches and personnel takes place. Burt that's a bit down the road.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just had this conversation with a coworker, if the Pens were ever going to move Malkin (they won't) it would have been best to move him after the 2017 cup. He would have brought back enough value to potentially compete for another. At this point trading Malkin will not make the current team better. So if they do trade Malkin it is admission that the door is closed and the rebuild is on.
Right, what's wrong with that?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nothings wrong with it, except the FO believes that they can compete...so Malkin won't be traded.
Well, theres new leadership now. So lets see what they think. I see Geno doing well over the next few weeks.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I dont get why so many people think Hextall is gonna make the team "tougher" or anything like that. That might have been Burkes MO but Hextall will be making the decisions. Hextal drafted high skill/fast players like Sanhiem, Lindbolm, Provorov, Konencny, Frost, Farabee etc. Nothing about his time in Philly indicates hes gonna bring in "tough" scrubs.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We don't have much in the way of draft picks or a prospect pool. We don't have a healthy blue line where by one of them could be moved for a decent return. Who exactly can we trade to help the team now without further damaging the future?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We don't have much in the way of draft picks or a prospect pool. We don't have a healthy blue line where by one of them could be moved for a decent return. Who exactly can we trade to help the team now without further damaging the future?

The roster has alot of valuable pieces. If you think POJ is the real deal, you could move a LD like Dumo to make upgrades somewhere else. Guys like Rust/Guentzel/Zucker probably hold alot of value league wide as well im sure.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Well if we offload Ceci or Matheson, that both helps the team now and mitigates any further damage in the future.

But seriously, the only way I see it happening is if it’s a positional swap, like a young winger for a young defenseman, or vice versa. But that’s an equal value trade and that can be hard to find.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The roster has alot of valuable pieces. If you think POJ is the real deal, you could move a LD like Dumo to make upgrades somewhere else. Guys like Rust/Guentzel/Zucker probably hold alot of value league wide as well im sure.
Dumo is injured. And Jake in particular would hold a good bit of value. But are you trying to get a ready made asset for now, or trade him for futures? I don't see how trading Jake would help us now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well if we offload Ceci or Matheson, that both helps the team now and mitigates any further damage in the future.

But seriously, the only way I see it happening is if it’s a positional swap, like a young winger for a young defenseman, or vice versa. But that’s an equal value trade and that can be hard to find.
Yeah, trading Jake for example for futures would make sense IF we're hopelessly out of it by the TDL. But I don't think moving him now would help much for the current team.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Dumo is injured. And Jake in particular would hold a good bit of value. But are you trying to get a ready made asset for now, or trade him for futures? I don't see how trading Jake would help us now.

I look at it as a Hagelin-Perron swap. Try to find a better fit/ someone that brings a different element to the team. Someone here mentioned that if Gaudreau were available and we offer Guentzel, we probably have a leg up on a majority of teams. Although I think any trade is pointless if the Sullivan isnt fired.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, trading Jake for example for futures would make sense IF we're hopelessly out of it by the TDL. But I don't think moving him now would help much for the current team.

I wouldn't bet on who gets moved... but I would bet on inevitable moves.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019

You do know Ceci is on a 1 year deal ?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think staying relatively inactive and using the rest of the season to assess the team is the correct approach.

If you can get out of Matheson's contract without too much damage, do it. Especially if it's bringing back a bottom 6 forward, even if they are overpaid.
Swapping McCann for a different fit would be fine.
If they are out of the playoffs in about a month, fire Sully.

I think that's about the most I'd do if I was the GM. if something falls into your lap, of course you need to consider it, but I would not be actively seeking a make a major shakeup. The Master Plan can wait until the offseason.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I look at it as a Hagelin-Perron swap. Try to find a better fit/ someone that brings a different element to the team. Someone here mentioned that if Gaudreau were available and we offer Guentzel, we probably have a leg up on a majority of teams. Although I think any trade is pointless if the Sullivan isnt fired.
I don't know that Gaudreau would move the needle much there TBH. I actually prefer Jake. But to that point I don't see such moves putting us in a better position. We'd need a huge gain IMO to really get anywhere. OR, the players collectively have to play at or near their abilities. That could go a long way. But yeah, with Sullivan at the helm I'm not holding out much hope.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think staying relatively inactive and using the rest of the season to assess the team is the correct approach.

If you can get out of Matheson's contract without too much damage, do it. Especially if it's bringing back a bottom 6 forward, even if they are overpaid.
Swapping McCann for a different fit would be fine.
If they are out of the playoffs in about a month, fire Sully.

I think that's about the most I'd do if I was the GM. if something falls into your lap, of course you need to consider it, but I would not be actively seeking a make a major shakeup. The Master Plan can wait until the offseason.
Good post, totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad