Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have named Ron Hextall as general manager and Brian Burke as president of hockey operat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hextall has pretty heavily implied that it's on the table, though. Plus Hextall's resume is that of a rebuilding GM.

It's not definite, but if Hextall is even considering the possibility of a 2022 retool, I think filling Sullivan's vacant seat would be even more difficult.

He also said he's not a one trick pony, and both him and Burke said they will do what's needed. Any hesitation in this is them not having been able to dive into the inner workings of the team yet. The plans first and foremost is to compete now while the core is still here. "winning a cup." Nothing is on the table into a rebuild except beyond these two seasons while they have the core to work with.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
"Ron, can you please chime in as to why Brian is good fit for the organization?"

"Well, I mean with a last name like Burkle, how can you go wrong?"

Reactions: Extra Texture

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
"Ron, can you please chime in as to why Brian is good fit for the organization?"

"Well, I mean with a last name like Burkle, how can you go wrong?"

:laugh: It hadn't even occurred to me about their names.

Maybe when Mario asked Burkle on his opinions for who to hire, Burkle saw his chance to take a more hands on role: "I've got two names for you....Ron......and Burkle".

And Mario could've been like "Sorry, Ron, going through a tunnel, but I think I hear you. Hire the guy named Ron, and then hire Burkie, okay great. See ya on the links"

Also made me think of
d2edc3c6-dc2c-456e-bc47-a57879ac07dd_text_hi.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well, it's a matter of intention, I think, or maybe just semantics. :laugh: I still want to see the team compete hard and there's always the fact that NHL playoffs give any team that makes it a puncher's chance, series by series.

I'm not CM-level optimistic about this team, but if they can make some small moves and get at least a semblance of a game plan, it's not outside of the range of possibility that we might do some damage in the post-season. Just not particularly likely.
My intent is to be a realist. Look, I'd love to see this team go on another run. I'm just skeptical as to how that can be achieved in this current climate and with Sully behind the bench. I think you hit the nail on the head when you suggested the difference in our respective opinions is more along the lines of semantics.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The leadership group that believes this team can compete are still here and giving that mandate to the new leadership group that was just brought in....if Hextall wanted to trade Malkin and go into a full rebuild I don’t think he would have been hired
Well, this team will have a chance to prove themselves THIS season. And if they don't then changes are a coming.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nobody involved with the Penguins has said anything about rebuilding or nuking the team, though. That is just HFBPenguins thinking.
Hiring Hextall clearly points the team in a different direction. As of now they're not gonna go full rebuild. But If things go awry this season, I think you're gonna see an enormous change in philosophy. The rest of this season will help determine a lot.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Well, this team will have a chance to prove themselves THIS season. And if they don't then changes are a coming.

So you think it’s ok for them to not make any moves to help the current team that has been struggling mightily when ownership is saying the mandate is to win? That’s not how this works. If the mandate is to win ownership and leadership have to step in and set the team up to win.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So you think it’s ok for them to not make any moves to help the current team that has been struggling mightily when ownership is saying the mandate is to win? That’s not how this works. If the mandate is to win ownership and leadership have to step in and set the team up to win.
What assets are we trading? Because I seriously doubt Hextalls gonna fleece our prospect or draft pick pool further. So who are we moving? And what moves help this team currently knowing our blue line is decimated by injury.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
What assets are we trading? Because I seriously doubt Hextalls gonna fleece our prospect or draft pick pool further. So who are we moving? And what moves help this team currently knowing our blue line is decimated by injury.

Like others have said you can trade McCann, Rust, Dumo, Petts. I mean they aren’t blockbuster moves but they could be pieces used to get guys who help this team get back to playing better and winning. People keep telling you what pieces can be moved and all you keep saying is “this team can prove their worth as constructed and if it doesn’t changes will be made” and it’s primarily because you want them to rebuild. You don’t want them to make moves to attempt to compete now because you believe their window is currently shut and they just need to accept that fact and fail so they can get to that point. Just because you want a rebuild doesn’t mean there aren’t moves that could be made to help the team play better now

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Like others have said you can trade McCann, Rust, Dumo, Petts. I mean they aren’t blockbuster moves but they could be pieces used to get guys who help this team get back to playing better and winning. People keep telling you what pieces can be moved and all you keep saying is “this team can prove their worth as constructed and if it doesn’t changes will be made” and it’s primarily because you want them to rebuild. You don’t want them to make moves to attempt to compete now because you believe their window is currently shut and they just need to accept that fact and fail so they can get to that point. Just because you want a rebuild doesn’t mean there aren’t moves that could be made to help the team play better now
Dumo and MP are injured. And I'm all for trading McCann. But I doubt that would move the needle much. But I'd definitely move him for a decent return. I'd move Dumo but again he's injured. So likely not gonna happen anytime soon.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Dumo and MP are injured. And I'm all for trading McCann. But I doubt that would move the needle much. But I'd definitely move him for a decent return. I'd move Dumo but again he's injured. So likely not gonna happen anytime soon.

Them being hurt doesn’t prevent them from being traded in anyway

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I'd like to see a blockbuster deal for Miller, Virtanen & Demko.

Our base would be Zucker,Dumo & DeSmith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->