Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have named Ron Hextall as general manager and Brian Burke as president of hockey operat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
He has the size, grit and scored 18 goals last year. I'd try to see if we can grab Stepan cheaply (only owed 2 million real cash this year) and play McCann - Stepan - Virtanen. Those two wingers had chemistry.

Virtanen has less then zero brains. He’s dumb as a rock

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hextall on Madden right now:

-He calls LA a "total rebuild", while Philly was "more of a retool".
-He says the Penguins are way different than either of his other teams. Flyers were in cap hell and were going to have to trade young players to get cap complaint if they didn't make changes.
-"Inevitably" there is a crossroads that comes with their core getting up their in age.
-Hextall thinks the top-6 is extremely talented, defense on paper is good, didn't say anything nice about goaltending. "And the goaltending...it can be like everyone else".
-Hextall on coaches: "let the coaches do what they do, they know it better than I do". He calls Sullivan a "proven winner" and they're happy with the staff.
-Hextall talks about how important "execution" is, with respect to moving the puck to be a fast team. It seems like he thinks the Penguins are a good team but underachieving.
-Burke and Hextall are going to work more as a team
-"Work to be done" on the prospect pool, they're going to start to work on collecting assets to restock their pool and "will need to make hard decisions"

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From listening to Hextall, it really seems like the initial plan for this year is to basically continue on the same track that JR has set up for them. It seems like Hextall thinks pretty highly of what JR did with the team, but just thinks the team is underachieving right now.

Only small thing I could see him doing is addressing goaltending. That's the only position he didn't praise when asked about it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hextall on Madden right now:

-He calls LA a "total rebuild", while Philly was "more of a retool".
-He says the Penguins are way different than either of his other teams. Flyers were in cap hell and were going to have to trade young players to get cap complaint if they didn't make changes.
-"Inevitably" there is a crossroads that comes with their core getting up their in age.
-Hextall thinks the top-6 is extremely talented, defense on paper is good, didn't say anything nice about goaltending. "And the goaltending...it can be like everyone else".
-Hextall on coaches: "let the coaches do what they do, they know it better than I do". He calls Sullivan a "proven winner" and they're happy with the staff.
-Hextall talks about how important "execution" is, with respect to moving the puck to be a fast team. It seems like he thinks the Penguins are a good team but underachieving.
-Burke and Hextall are going to work more as a team

Hm. I wonder what could possibly change an underachieving team......

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Hm. I wonder what could possibly change an underachieving team......
tenor.gif

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean he also said Sullivan was a proven winner and they were happy with the staff.

What else are they going to say?

They've pretty much said they aren't going to do any major surgery to this team in season if they turn it around. If they don't turn it around they will hold off on doing major surgery until the end of the season.

If the Pens continue to lose multiple games, I don't see what other choice they'll make. Leaving a lame duck like Sully in while they piss away an unprotected 1st just doesn't seem like a hot way to start off their tenure.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sullivan: Proven winner so long as you discount like the last two playoff disasters that he was a major architect of.

Bah... this team isn't doing f***-all this year. Oh well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What else are they going to say?

Not "we're happy with the coaching staff and Sullivan is a proven winner".

I get that this website wants to grasp at literally anything it can to support their hope of Sullivan getting fired, but literally nothing suggests that the Penguins are thinking about that.

They don’t have the talent. They ain’t doing that bad btw

The Coyotes have a very talented team on paper. Extremely deep defense, a lot of contributors at forward and good goaltending.

Their problem is that Arizona is a toxic organization, similar to Buffalo, and Tocchet isn't a good head coach.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC

I get that this website wants to grasp at literally anything it can to support their hope of Sullivan getting fired, but literally nothing suggests that the Penguins are thinking about that.

The Coyotes have a very talented team on paper. Extremely deep defense, a lot of contributors at forward and good goaltending.

Their problem is that Arizona is a toxic organization, similar to Buffalo, and Tocchet isn't a good head coach.
Arizona have a very talented team? Since when? They don’t have top-end talent. Compare their roster to the teams they are playing against. Arizona is doing well with what they have

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Arizona have a very talented team? Since when? They don’t have top-end talent. Compare their roster to the teams they are playing against. Arizona is doing well with what they have

Since always?

Arizona's problem isn't who they have on the roster. It's the general stink that their roster has. Same problem Edmonton and Buffalo has. Players who go to those teams die for whatever reason.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

They've been pretty adamant they are going to not make big changes to this team and they are expecting to win this year.

That leaves them with one card to play.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Since always?

Arizona's problem isn't who they have on the roster. It's the general stink that their roster has. Same problem Edmonton and Buffalo has. Players who go to those teams die for whatever reason.
Their roster is not good. I still think Tocchet is doing well with what they gave him.

You gotta be the first person to ever say that they are talented.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They've been pretty adamant they are going to not make big changes to this team and they are expecting to win this year.

That leaves them with one card to play.

Yeah it's called the "f***-all" card.

It sure sounds like our new shiny front office dudes are all about patience and "trusting the process" with the loser coaching staff and mid-30s aged-out superstars.

Inspiring.

Though like you said... what else do they say? Though they sure didn't extend that courtesy to the goaltending lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah it's called the "f***-all" card.

It sure sounds like our new shiny front office dudes are all about patience and "trusting the process" with the loser coaching staff and mid-30s aged-out superstars.

You realize our front office is one of the most impulsive guys in hockey.

Sullivan will be gone if this team continue to lose.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia