Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have named Ron Hextall as general manager and Brian Burke as president of hockey operat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Most of Hextall's trades were ridding the Flyers of all the bad contracts Holmgren passed out.

If I had to guess, Pettersson is probably one of the first players to go. I just don't see ownership giving the greenlight for a Letang trade.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Because the sooner we start the rebuild the sooner we can replenish our asset pool and contend again. In theory at least. And I like Hextalls ability to draft and develop talent. We could tangibly get some decent return for guys like Geno and Letang and Jake.

unfortunately we’re not getting legit top six centers for them, certainly not for Geno and Letang...I don’t have a problem moving Letang or Jake...the return can’t be a “good” prospect who’s not ready for NHL games and a first round pick...you have to balance putting a competitive team out there with building for the future...Sid won’t want to play otherwise and fans won’t buy tickets for faceless scrubs they’ve never heard of...rn we can’t replace Geno no matter how he’s fallen off and same with Sid...we’re not getting Barkov here or Eichel lol...

we can move, once healthy, a LD....we can get a draft pick or prospect and personally I’d favor getting a vet goalie in return....we can move out McCann or Zucker too depending on return, preferably to swap out for another winger and maybe a pick...that’s about it...guarantee there’s no full rebuild ...maybe Letang this summer, a LD, a middle six winger...that’s about it

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hamilton makes the powerplay suck?

Subbing in Hamilton for Letang wouldn't solve what's wrong with this powerplay.

The idea of wasting more seasons than we already have pretending that the lack of a presence on the left wall isn't the PP's main issue baffles me.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Most of Hextall's trades were ridding the Flyers of all the bad contracts Holmgren passed out.

If I had to guess, Pettersson is probably one of the first players to go. I just don't see ownership giving the greenlight for a Letang trade.

Eventually ownership will have to make this though decision, Letang and Malkin need to be discussed and perhaps move by next season if we keep sucking!!
Crosby is the only untouchable, unless he asks to be traded

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
thing is we have a crap ton of talent on this team. certainly our star players are not able to will the team to win every night like they used to be able too.
But let's be real here. This is the most talent we've had in forwards since Sid/Geno's careers. We are playing less then the sum of our parts right now. A goalie that the players trust to have their back will do wonders here. I do think Jarry can still turn it around and be a legit #1 but we need a steadying hand to back him up. (and a different goalie coach)

I was actually looking forward to seeing what this team could do this season as we got younger, we got faster and while matheson is a roll of the dice, Ceci has played above expectations POJ is a revelation. I really think if we get healthy and get a better voice in the room this team can make a strong push.

We absolutely are having defensive lapses. Playing air tight defense will make *ANY* goalie look great. Every single team has a few defensive lapses in every single game. The problem is we get scored upon at a much greater rate then other teams.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t think the Pens are going to win at all this year, but this kind of defeatism is just so tiring, no? “Why even bother to try if there’s someone one else better on paper?” That’s just absurd.
Not really. You yourself just stated that you don't think we're gonna win at all this year. How is that any different? lol

As I said in subsequent posts I'd love to be wrong. But I'm not looking at this in the manner some are. Because if we do falter this season, that means changes are a coming. And I think with Hextalls track record in drafting and development, that's a very good thing.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ron Hextall, when asked about building around Malkin and Crosby, says they want to build around them now. But...

“I can’t tell you what’s coming our way. I can’t. To be definitive in a direction … in my interviews, we talked about all kinds of scenarios.”

Reactions: SEALBound

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Eventually ownership will have to make this though decision, Letang and Malkin need to be discussed and perhaps move by next season if we keep sucking!!
Crosby is the only untouchable, unless he asks to be traded
Malkin has just as much to do with this org’s success as Crosby does. Both of those guys should be untouchable.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Burke in the past about the penguins:

"except when we see an opportunity to tank for a star, then we're here to lose. And we're really only here for sure until it's time to extort the local governments with threats of relocation. But right now in this specific instance, we want to win"

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
unfortunately we’re not getting legit top six centers for them, certainly not for Geno and Letang...I don’t have a problem moving Letang or Jake...the return can’t be a “good” prospect who’s not ready for NHL games and a first round pick...you have to balance putting a competitive team out there with building for the future...Sid won’t want to play otherwise and fans won’t buy tickets for faceless scrubs they’ve never heard of...rn we can’t replace Geno no matter how he’s fallen off and same with Sid...we’re not getting Barkov here or Eichel lol...

we can move, once healthy, a LD....we can get a draft pick or prospect and personally I’d favor getting a vet goalie in return....we can move out McCann or Zucker too depending on return, preferably to swap out for another winger and maybe a pick...that’s about it...guarantee there’s no full rebuild ...maybe Letang this summer, a LD, a middle six winger...that’s about it
I'm playing the long game here. And where I agree with you is in the notion that we need legit top six centers. And that'll likely have to come through the draft. I definitely believe with some of the players we have, we can flip them for high draft picks and prospects. We might have to take back some salary and become Detroit or Ottawa for a couple years, but in the long run it'll be worth it. We could could also supplement via free agency and remain competitive if we so desire. I'd prefer we burn it down. All or nothing so to speak.

Remember, I was against moving our first rounders for the last couple of years. IF Marino and POJ can become cornerstones for the blue line, that'll be a nice start to a new era in Penguins hockey.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't like this at all. What was wrong with JR again? He made big trades to get players for our stars to try to win now. What's Hextall going to do differently? Be Marios yes man? Honestly the issue is Sullys system. JR would get the players needed. Here come the down years and ex Flyer to take the blame.
I'd say the BIGGEST problem with JR is that he quit leaving the position open.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Burke is on 31 Thoughts.

Some quotes. This is Hexy’s team. I’m here to take off whatever he wants off his plate. But this is Hexy’s team.

Ron Hextall has the final authority on hockey operations. “Don’t think of it as veto power, think of it as a business partner”.

My goal is giving Hextall autonomy. The owner
has final say. The only deal I’ve had ended was Bobby Ryan for Keith Tkachuk.

Hextall is really bright. You can be a great goaltender and not know a thing about the game.

Drafting in Philly did a great job. I think Penguins need to be patient or impatient regarding what the state of their team is.

GMs are always better the second time around. And Hextall has benefited by that experience.

Never had a better player than Crosby. Let’s see what this team can do and then we will see in the off season if they can’t get to the playoffs.

Not trying to be dramatic. Never looked at a hill and said it is too high when it comes to a team.

I got special players, a coach and a GM I trust, who knows how good this team is if we get healthy.

Pens are capped out and have little draft picks. Message from ownership is what can we do this year.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
YOu can do both as to having a good team this year and still begin a retool of what one can do going forward. The facts are Pens are in the transition to a better deeper roster down the road. Pens will move assets that don't fit the new narrative of more size and balanced style of play.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Malkin has just as much to do with this org’s success as Crosby does. Both of those guys should be untouchable.
NO! They shouldn't be. Nostalgia be damned. And that's kind of Ironic for me to say cause I am a sentimental person believe it or not. It all depends on the return. If the return is good, move them. If it's not don't. That said I don't see Sid leaving unless he asks to be moved. Of course, new leadership COULD make him want to consider moving if they do go the route of burning it down.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I know that Hextall is the GM, however Burke does like to make a big splash when he first gets to a new city. If Fleury wasn't playing so well in Vegas, my guess is that we would be seeing something around Jarry + McCann for Fleury with retention. I don't think Vegas has any interest currently. I don't really think we should be so quick to give up on Jarry, but within a week, I expect something intriguing to come up.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
YOu can do both as to having a good team this year and still begin a retool of what one can do going forward. The facts are Pens are in the transition to a better deeper roster down the road. Pens will move assets that don't fit the new narrative of more size and balanced style of play.
That'll be a tight rope they'll have to navigate. Not gonna be an easy chore though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Burke is on 31 Thoughts.

Some quotes. This is Hexy’s team. I’m here to take off whatever he wants off his plate. But this is Hexy’s team.

Ron Hextall has the final authority on hockey operations. “Don’t think of it as veto power, think of it as a business partner”.
We're in good hands. Love it!

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Plot Twist: Hextall IS, also, the new goalie coach.

first lesson from Hextall. if some f'er scores on you, you chase em down and mess them up

i still would love to see Robbie Brown as some bit role working for Hextall as passing the cup Mario -> Hextall -> Robbie Brown would be a hilarious twist of fate.

Reactions: LOGiK

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
NO! They shouldn't be. Nostalgia be damned. And that's kind of Ironic for me to say cause I am a sentimental person believe it or not. It all depends on the return. If the return is good, move them. If it's not don't. That said I don't see Sid leaving unless he asks to be moved. Of course, new leadership COULD make him want to consider moving if they do go the route of burning it down.
If your opinion is that ownership shouldn’t be loyal to the hall of fame players, marquee franchise players that got them their championships, I disagree but can understand that and respect that. I don’t see how you can say Crosby is untouchable but Malkin isn’t. Both of those players go hand in hand, and should be treated the same based off of what they have done for the franchise and their current performances.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If your opinion is that ownership shouldn’t be loyal to the players that got them their championships, I disagree but can understand that and respect that. I don’t see how you can say Crosby is untouchable but Malkin isn’t. Both of those players go hand in hand, and should be treated the same based off of what they have done for the franchise and their current performances.
Let me be clear, I put them in the same category. I think they're equal as far as the level of success we've enjoyed with them leading the way. But the organIzation doesn't. Sid will always be their fancy in contrast to Geno. And they love Geno, but I'm sure they'd like to keep Sid at almost all costs. Well, ownership will, not sure about the new GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad