The Panarin Situation, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I think he is as talented. When Duchene was a junior, he was the closest thing to Sakic I had seen. He just doesn't work as hard. That's not to say he's lazy. He's also a C and is bigger than Bread, with similar speed. I think he'd be a very valuable asset IF conditions are perfect for him. I am not sure the Jackets organization would go after a guy who rips coaches / front office in an uber, as he may be seen as a poor fit in a hard-working blue collar culture of the team. But as a player, he's pretty great.

Who cares what he did as a junior. He isn't 16-18 anymore. He is 28. Duchene is good. He isn't Panarin good. Also, I prefer to have players who make teams better. Duchene doesn't make teams better, IMO.

Let us compare the 2.

• Panarin - 27
70 point seasons
  • Duchene - 1
  • Panarin - 3
Last 4 years
  • Duchene - 281 gp, 100 g, 112 a, 212 pts
  • Panarin - 295 gp, 109 g, 187a, 296 pts
Last 4 years
  • Duchene - 0.75 ppg
  • Panarin - 1.00 ppg

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Who cares what he did as a junior. He isn't 16-18 anymore. He is 28. Duchene is good. He isn't Panarin good. Also, I prefer to have players who make teams better. Duchene doesn't make teams better, IMO.

Let us compare the 2.

• Panarin - 27
70 point seasons
  • Duchene - 1
  • Panarin - 3
Last 4 years
  • Duchene - 281 gp, 100 g, 112 a, 212 pts
  • Panarin - 295 gp, 109 g, 187a, 296 pts
Last 4 years
  • Duchene - 0.75 ppg
  • Panarin - 1.00 ppg

Duchene might soften the blow, but personally I think you are onto something when you talk about making teams better. Just look at the record for the Avs when he was there, vs when he left. Then look at the Sens' record since they acquired him. Not to say either situation is completely his fault, but I do think it's fair to say that he didn't help much.

Reactions: Jackets16

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Duchene might soften the blow, but personally I think you are onto something when you talk about making teams better. Just look at the record for the Avs when he was there, vs when he left. Then look at the Sens' record since they acquired him. Not to say either situation is completely his fault, but I do think it's fair to say that he didn't help much.
I agree about Duchene. But there is a very short list of players that do what Panarin does. Crosby and Kane aren't available. Marc Stone is a wonderful player, but he is not as good as Panarin. Do you offer-sheet Brayden Point (who is AMAZING) or Marner? I don't think Marner offers as much as Panarin does. Yes, Marner is younger and very creative, but I am not 100% sold on him yet. Point could be a cornerstone, but will he even consider coming to Columbus from Tampa? I doubt it.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I've said this before, but to me, Duchene is like the stuff you see in those forced checkout lanes at places like Joann Fabrics or MicroCenter. Blingy, definitely useful and something you don't have - but do you really need him like you need that 3" S-carabiner or an LED reading light? Meh.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I've said this before, but to me, Duchene is like the stuff you see in those forced checkout lanes at places like Joann Fabrics or MicroCenter. Blingy, definitely useful and something you don't have - but do you really need him like you need that 3" S-carabiner or an LED reading light? Meh.

Exactly how I feel.

Reactions: SuperGenius

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Not to mention, these items are usually marked-up, high margin and impulse buys.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Exactly how I feel.

I love how you guys dismiss a better than a ppg C. On a pretty crappy team. I just don't get it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Are you planning to move Wennberg to 3C or trade him?

Either or move him to a W. I'm curious as to who you think is a better option than Duchene? Lots of guys are probably better but he is possibly/probably going to be available as either a free agent or trade bait before the TDL.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Either or move him to a W. I'm curious as to who you think is a better option than Duchene? Lots of guys are probably better but he is possibly/probably going to be available as either a free agent or trade bait before the TDL.

For what it's going to take to get him, I don't understand why so many people are so high on him.

Would you give up a 1st, one of our top prospects (for argument's sake, let's say Foudy), a roster player (Duclair?) And another pick?

Doesn't seem worth it for me, I think Stone is a better fit and he plays a more complete game, and I think we can get him for less.

Duchene has eclipsed 70 points once in his career... people need to stop thinking he's replacement for Panarin, which is why I think he's so desired here.

Reactions: Jackets16 and Fro

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm just having a hard time finding a solid 1b/2a center

Gotta draft centers, otherwise you overpay for them. Montreal went somewhat off the board last summer for Kotkaniemi. We went somewhat off the board for Dubois. I think our only hope is to wait for Foudy and Texier.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Let me make it clear: Duchene IS NOT a replacement for Panarin. But when you compare the upgrade Duchene is over Wennberg it ameliorates the drop in production between Panarin and who ever replaces him at LW on the first line. That is why you go after to Duchene to replace Wennberg as the second line center. A second line of Duclair, Duchene and Bjork could be a very productive second line.

Reactions: EspenK

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So that’s where you’ve been hiding this entire season? The checkout aisle at Joann fabrics?

Picked up a new knitting hobby? Good for you bud! :thumbu:

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For what it's going to take to get him, I don't understand why so many people are so high on him.

Would you give up a 1st, one of our top prospects (for argument's sake, let's say Foudy), a roster player (Duclair?) And another pick?

Doesn't seem worth it for me, I think Stone is a better fit and he plays a more complete game, and I think we can get him for less.

Duchene has eclipsed 70 points once in his career... people need to stop thinking he's replacement for Panarin, which is why I think he's so desired here.

My preferred scenario is to have the Jackets trade B&B for what you suggest it would take to get Duchene then sign Duchene as a free agent.

If the Jackets decide to keep B&B and go for it then without adding a guy like Duchene it will be a short trip. If you want to play you have to pay.

As for Stone I favor the same approach but I'm with EDM we need a solid center much more than we need another forward.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I love how you guys dismiss a better than a ppg C. On a pretty crappy team. I just don't get it.

Have you watched the Uber video? Have you seen that Colorado got better when he left. He puts up good numbers, but I agree with the argument that he doesn’t make teams better. Do you want the kind of player who will take the younger players out drinking and tell them not to listen to the coach? We have already seen a good center become a locker room cancer in Columbus. Do you know why people boo Carter when the Kings are in town?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Have you watched the Uber video? Have you seen that Colorado got better when he left. He puts up good numbers, but I agree with the argument that he doesn’t make teams better. Do you want the kind of player who will take the younger players out drinking and tell them not to listen to the coach? We have already seen a good center become a locker room cancer in Columbus. Do you know why people boo Carter when the Kings are in town?

Give me a break.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I love how you dismiss a legitimate (if overwrought) expression of concern that addresses a post you made in an attempt to help you "get it."

Give me a break...:laugh:

I thought the response was full of totally unrelated issues and cliches. Did Panarin make the Jackets better? They haven't hit the pre-Panarin point total yet. Did Colorado get better because they traded Duchene or because their top line went ballistic at the beginning of this year? They are slumping right now and may not wind up much better sans Duchene. Carter didn't want to be here and if Duchene signs as a free agent that won't be the case.

Uber video? No one ever kvetches about their boss so I guess that is a very important issue.:sarcasm:.

Reactions: CPTN71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Give me a break...:laugh:

I thought the response was full of totally unrelated issues and cliches. Did Panarin make the Jackets better? They haven't hit the pre-Panarin point total yet. Did Colorado get better because they traded Duchene or because their top line went ballistic at the beginning of this year? They are slumping right now and may not wind up much better sans Duchene. Carter didn't want to be here and if Duchene signs as a free agent that won't be the case.

Uber video? No one ever kvetches about their boss so I guess that is a very important issue.:sarcasm:.

So what you're saying is you disagree with the concerns about Duchene? That you have no issue with his off-ice life or influence on a locker room? Or that you share them, but they are outweighed by his potential benefit to the lineup?

(I fail to see what any of that had to do with Panarin.)

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So what you're saying is you disagree with the concerns about Duchene? That you have no issue with his off-ice life or influence on a locker room? Or that you share them, but they are outweighed by his potential benefit to the lineup?

(I fail to see what any of that had to do with Panarin.)
Like nobody ever talks about their boss or management among fellow employees. Its almost as if people forget he wasn't the only player in that Uber.

Thats what I took from his post but... to each their own, I guess we just have some holier than others posters on this board who never say anything negative or share a negative opinion among friends :dunno: :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad