Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Previously on the Panarin thread...

Portzline in his Q&A today.

Q:

Is it insane to have growing hope that Bread signs with the Jackets prior to the deadline? Have the feeling Bob is gone, but may go “all-in” on a run this year (assuming #9 is back) and fingers crossed Merzlikins is a successful NHL net-minder? Merzlinkins is the consensus #1 player in Latvia after all......

A (from Portzline):
Not sure it meets the definition of 'insane,' no. But it's a touch crazy. If he doesn't sign with them before Feb. 25, I think Panarin is gone. I think he has to be gone. I think they're keeping Bob through the deadline and the playoffs and worry about him in the off-season, but Panarin will be death with by the trade deadline. They'll come out of the meeting in late January with a clear sign if he's willing to sign with them. If he's not, they have to trade him. They can't do the gentleman's agreement thing. They can't do the "hope he changes his mind" stuff like the Islanders did with Tavares. There are some who believe Panarin will or has changed his mind and would consider Columbus now, but until that comes from Bread or Milstein, it would be reckless to believe it. Strap in. Gonna be a while six weeks.

Live Blue Jackets Q&A with Aaron Portzline at 1 p.m.
No explanation why he thinks "they have to trade him," if there's no clear indication he'll sign.
It's a poopy quote in general. It seems to imply Panarin/his agent have said he won't consider Columbus, even though I don't think that's actually happened.
I just hasn't not happened. Which we all know. Ostensibly, Portzline has information the average fan is not privy to, and makes his conjectures based on that. But there's nothing offered that suggests anythign he says in this response is based on such information.
When Panarin walks in free agency it will become apparent to all as to why he should have been traded. Especially after another 1st (or at best 2nd) round exit.
You and Portzline know stuff I don't know, I feel left out. :(
I'd need an explanation of why the Jackets wouldn't do an "own-rental" with Panarin. Which club needs him this Spring more than the Jackets do?
No team needs him more, and no team has more to lose by losing him.
You guys are literally not looking past this season.....

Jarmo, is not.

And now... THE EXCITING CONCLUSION! G-d willing.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Porty is not making a lot of sense to me.

"If they trade Panarin, I think they try to go "big-game hunting" as a way to give the players and fan base an emotional push. Matt Duchene and Mark Stone in Ottawa are guys to keep in mind, UFAs on a team that's DOA."

Why would you rent out Panarin and then rent in Stone / Duchene? You net maybe a 2nd round pick out of that?

Wouldn't "big-game hunting" be keeping Panarin, given that he's the highest value rental?

Is Portzline just thinking in cliches here "can't lose him for nothing" and then not realizing that Panarin is just another rental, like Stone or Duchene?

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Porty is not making a lot of sense to me.

"If they trade Panarin, I think they try to go "big-game hunting" as a way to give the players and fan base an emotional push. Matt Duchene and Mark Stone in Ottawa are guys to keep in mind, UFAs on a team that's DOA."

Why would you rent out Panarin and then rent in Stone / Duchene? You net maybe a 2nd round pick out of that?

Wouldn't "big-game hunting" be keeping Panarin, given that he's the highest value rental?

Is Portzline just thinking in cliches here "can't lose him for nothing" and then not realizing that Panarin is just another rental, like Stone or Duchene?
Maybe he's thinking there's a better chance of retaining one of those guys. :dunno:

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC

From their website:

SPIRITS — High Bank Distillery Co.

Our goal is to create an elevated experience with every product we produce. Starting with 100% organic wheat, we add and distill local fresh pressed Ohio apples to finish the spirit used in our handcrafted High Bank Vodka

I wonder if my preacher would be offended if I asked him to prayer for Panarin
to resign with the Jackets?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well, that should be an important step in this whole mess. Anything short of "let's start negotiating now and have it done before the TDL" is not going to be real encouraging to me. I don't want to see the Jackets get Tavaresed. If it isn't the start of solid negotiations then I think a trade is in order.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Remember when everyone said how terrible NYI would be without Tavares?

They're 1 pt out of a playoff spot and have 2-3 games in hand..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Things sometimes happen when teams are routinely counted out and embarrassed by the mainstream media. Look at Colorado last year, Us after finishing last in 2011-12, and as you pointed out the Isles this year.

Bringing in Barry Trotz and having Matthew Barzal to fall back on helps too. If you're implying we'll be fine without Panarin, well, point us to our Barzal.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
NYI has limited short/medium term potential; while CBJ can win the Cup.

This slump has to end; right now. There is enough time to figure shit out and to be in top form by April.

Panarin was quite visible and quite dangerous last night. He is selling himself very well.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

:rolleyes:

They also upgraded with a HOF coach, and have someone just as skilled as Panarin in Barzal..who should only continue to get better. Both of which have been huge for them.

Jackets have Panarin and that's about it in terms of that level of a player. We don't have a Barzal that can lessen the blow of losing Panarin.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
(rank on their team)

Dubois (20 years old) -42gp, 16g (2nd), 21a (2nd), 37pts (3rd), +6 (t6th)

Barzal (21 years old) - 41gp, 12g (3rd), 26a (1st), 38pts (1st), -5 (22nd)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
20% more even strength points
Better plus minus, Barzal's 2nd worst on his team

Barzal crushed him last year. Not so far this year.
Barzal isn’t playing with Panarin and Atkinson. Barzal is one of the most skilled players in the league and could score every shift. Dubois while good is not the same player, not even remotely as dangerous.

Reactions: skyo and CPTN71

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Barzal isn’t playing with Panarin and Atkinson. Barzal is one of the most skilled players in the league and could score every shift. Dubois while good is not the same player, not even remotely as dangerous.

He could score every shift, but only has 9 even strength goals. He's a great player, but come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad