The Panarin Situation, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He never made a demand to stay in Columbus. Not even a crazy one. He never had any intention to stay and if you thought he would stay, it is on you. The real blame needs to go to the organization if they had the opportunity to get a lot more before the season if they traded him and chose not to. If the return price is pretty much the same then they might as well have waited and try to get the performance for the first 50+ games.

We'll never know what was offered in the offseason, so how can you blame the front office for icing a team that has flirted with the top of the division all season?

My bet is, if anything, that the price will be roughly the same. There will be more bidders this time of year because so many teams are still competing for, what they believe to be, a Cup run. And, with prorating of his salary, more teams can afford him.

I don't blame Jarmo one bit. The team can still feasibly make the playoffs, and he can still go out and get a bounty for him.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
We'll never know what was offered in the offseason, so how can you blame the front office for icing a team that has flirted with the top of the division all season?

My bet is, if anything, that the price will be roughly the same. There will be more bidders this time of year because so many teams are still competing for, what they believe to be, a Cup run. And, with prorating of his salary, more teams can afford him.

I don't blame Jarmo one bit. The team can still feasibly make the playoffs, and he can still go out and get a bounty for him.
Is this really feasible though? I mean they seem to run counter to each other. Either you take your chances at a cup, or you are a seller.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
or you do a little buying and selling. it's not quite as black and white as you make it seem.

I guess I just can't see moving Panarin and still making a run at it. I think it really depends on if we are in it or not. I'm excluding other possible deals because honestly the idea of moving 9 and making some other moves to get back in it seems far fetched to me.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Is this really feasible though? I mean they seem to run counter to each other. Either you take your chances at a cup, or you are a seller.

If we trade Panarin and add Stone and Brassard, are we at worse odds to make a Cup run?

At this point I think we have to at least contend for a playoff spot. The casual fans are coming, but if Jarmo had dealt Panarin before the season and the team had tanked, everyone here would be calling for his head.

It's more about building a winning culture for us at this point isn't it? We'll contend for a Cup, but I don't think that comes even with the roster we have. I think we'll have to wait until some of our youth come along to the winning culture, that actually want to be here because of what we are seeing built. Then we can attract a free agent or two, maybe make a key trade, and we're there.

How many years was Nashville a bubble team, quietly building a nice base with some core pieces. Then boom, couple of big trades, Cup contender.

Even with Panarin (clearly) on his way out, this team is on to bigger and better things. Right now let's just enjoy the ride, maybe make the playoffs, and see what the offseason may bring. Let's face it, even with Bread and Bob, we aren't getting past Tampa. We probably aren't even getting past Pissburgh.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If we trade Panarin and add Stone and Brassard, are we at worse odds to make a Cup run?

At this point I think we have to at least contend for a playoff spot. The casual fans are coming, but if Jarmo had dealt Panarin before the season and the team had tanked, everyone here would be calling for his head.

It's more about building a winning culture for us at this point isn't it? We'll contend for a Cup, but I don't think that comes even with the roster we have. I think we'll have to wait until some of our youth come along to the winning culture, that actually want to be here because of what we are seeing built. Then we can attract a free agent or two, maybe make a key trade, and we're there.

How many years was Nashville a bubble team, quietly building a nice base with some core pieces. Then boom, couple of big trades, Cup contender.

Even with Panarin (clearly) on his way out, this team is on to bigger and better things. Right now let's just enjoy the ride, maybe make the playoffs, and see what the offseason may bring. Let's face it, even with Bread and Bob, we aren't getting past Tampa. We probably aren't even getting past Pissburgh.
I don't disagree with this. I guess if we got Stone and Brassard i'd be more amazed than anything. I just don't see that type of movement happening. I'd be ok with being wrong though.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't understand the anger towards Panarin. Columbus didn't draft him, didn't develop him, didn't sign him to a contract. Did the team want him when he was an unknown 20 year old KHL player or something? He signed with Chicago because that's where he wanted to be. He got traded, and has been a consummate professional.

Bread didn't lead the team on, and didn't promise things he knew he couldn't deliver. Now he told you his intentions, without a translator, just like he was asked. It's not what you wanted to hear, and frankly as a Rangers fan it's not what I wanted to hear either (he's going back to Chicago, if they can figure the cap situation out). What has he done wrong? This is exactly why Tavares didn't want to come clean. He didn't want the fans and the media to be angry at him. He just bolted and gave the fanbase one big fat middle finger. I would be surprised if any UFAs will be honest from now on. Who'd want to be subjected to the circus?

Look, you're right. He didn't pick Columbus, Columbus picked him. He's been nothing short of great here both on and off the ice. There's nothing to complain about on his play or his attitude, even during trying times.

However, the notion that he didn't lead the team on is false. Ever since he's been here he's been asked how he enjoyed the city or whatever, and multiple times he stated his intentions to sign here. I mentioned it a few pages back, but here is a quote from his now former agent just a few days before the announcement that he wouldn't negotiate last summer...

"As of Wednesday, the Blue Jackets have not had any talks with agent Daniel Milstein regarding client Artemi Panarin. Don’t be alarmed by this. Blue Jackets assistant GM Bill Zito, a former agent who handles the club’s contract negotiations, was gone for most of May at the IIHF World Championships. He was Team USA’s GM. Panarin went away to his favorite resort and cast aside his cellphone for a couple of weeks. Panarin is signed through the 2018-19 season. The Blue Jackets won’t want to delay a deal too long for obvious reasons, but they don’t have to have something done July 1, either.

“I talk to Columbus all the time,” Milstein told The Athletic. “But we haven’t talked about a contract yet. I congratulated Billy for doing well at the Worlds. Hey, look, they want Panarin. The feeling is mutual.”

Free-agent update: Ian Cole not sold on testing market if...

Also last year when Portzline wrote the article about Panarin and his upbringing, the last few paragraphs of the story included his thoughts on his future:

“We talked about this on the day he was traded, that he was fortunate he ended up in Columbus,” says Daniel Milstein, Panarin’s agent. “He was in the role of No. 2 guy in Chicago. Now he’s No. 1 in Columbus.

“To me, that’s his team in Columbus. It was time for him to step up and be the guy.”

Panarin and his girlfriend, Alisa, have grown close with Bobrovsky and his wife, Olga. But how much longer they’ll play together in Columbus remains a mystery.

The Blue Jackets would like to sign both players to contract extensions this summer, but both might be in line for salaries of $10 million or more per season.

Both Panarin and Milstein, his agent, say they are willing to talk with the Blue Jackets about an extension this summer, but it’s unclear how much the Jackets will be willing to spend — and able to spend, given the constraints of the NHL’s salary cap.

Panarin and Bobrovsky can be unrestricted free agents after the 2018-19 season.

Panarin seems comfortable in Columbus, says he’s fond of Tortorella and his teammates and says he has nothing to complain about.

“For me, it’s not all about the money,” Panarin says. “I want the things that money can’t buy.”

Then he flashes an ornery grin.

“But don’t tell the general manager this, right?”

An Incredible Journey: Artemi Panarin's path from poverty to...

As far as I can tell, the only time he ever showed restraint or unwillingness to talk about signing in Columbus last season (and keep in mind, interviews were very scarce with him. And when he did have them he was constantly asked if he enjoyed Columbus.), was his last interview when we were bounced by Washington:

Hell, it was even seen as a virtual slam dunk he was signing to many around the hockey world DAYS before the draft:

As of late last week, the Blue Jackets had not had any contract talks with Panarin’s agent, Daniel Milstein. Expect this to change soon, with Milstein and Panarin set to meet to discuss the player’s wishes.

It is widely accepted that Panarin would be open to staying in Columbus, that the Blue Jackets will offer him an eight-year contract, and that the deal will get done.

But Panarin’s asking price will bear watching. Since he joined the NHL three seasons ago, only six players have scored more points: Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, Nikita Kucherov, Blake Wheeler and Jamie Benn. That’s the high-rent district.

Less is known about Bobrovsky’s contract talks — if there have been any yet — but there is great trepidation on what lies ahead from the Blue Jackets’ perspective.

'Distant uncertainty': Beyond Artemi Panarin and Sergei...

He has a right to change his mind, there was nothing agreed to, there was nothing negotiated, and there was no promises. However, to say Panarin and his representation didn't lead on the CBJ, would be absolutely false.

I believe he was genuine with his interest in re-signing, but I also think when John Tavares hit the market he got to thinking more and more about how free agency would be for him, and how it would feel to be able to control where you go, and play where you want to play (again, as he did it when he came over, but now he can negotiate his own salary). I to this day think he enjoys and likes it in Columbus, but he would rather be somewhere with more nightlife, marketing, and leisure activities.

He never made a demand to stay in Columbus. Not even a crazy one. He never had any intention to stay and if you thought he would stay, it is on you. The real blame needs to go to the organization if they had the opportunity to get a lot more before the season if they traded him and chose not to. If the return price is pretty much the same then they might as well have waited and try to get the performance for the first 50+ games.

As I said above, he absolutely did flirt with the CBJ about staying all last year. The fact he suddenly had a change of heart in June had to have been shocking for the whole organization. With the way he was speaking about re-upping last year, I think management thought his intentions of leaving were just a negotiation tactic to scare them. I think some players even admitted that they hoped the team would hang onto him because it would be hard to look them in the face and say he's leaving, especially after how close they had gotten since he'd been there. I think management was banking on him going back to his original mindset once the season got going. Maybe a mistake, but its hard to blame them without seeing what was being offered. Hopefully we get a good return for him.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Look, you're right. He didn't pick Columbus, Columbus picked him. He's been nothing short of great here both on and off the ice. There's nothing to complain about on his play or his attitude, even during trying times.

However, the notion that he didn't lead the team on is false. Ever since he's been here he's been asked how he enjoyed the city or whatever, and multiple times he stated his intentions to sign here. I mentioned it a few pages back, but here is a quote from his now former agent just a few days before the announcement that he wouldn't negotiate last summer...

Free-agent update: Ian Cole not sold on testing market if...

Also last year when Portzline wrote the article about Panarin and his upbringing, the last few paragraphs of the story included his thoughts on his future:

An Incredible Journey: Artemi Panarin's path from poverty to...

As far as I can tell, the only time he ever showed restraint or unwillingness to talk about signing in Columbus last season (and keep in mind, interviews were very scarce with him. And when he did have them he was constantly asked if he enjoyed Columbus.), was his last interview when we were bounced by Washington:

Hell, it was even seen as a virtual slam dunk he was signing to many around the hockey world DAYS before the draft:

'Distant uncertainty': Beyond Artemi Panarin and Sergei...

He has a right to change his mind, there was nothing agreed to, there was nothing negotiated, and there was no promises. However, to say Panarin and his representation didn't lead on the CBJ, would be absolutely false.

Congratulations, Very well done. Talk is cheap is all I can say. One thing about your comment and I see this all the time with the CBJ and that's a constant need to be reassured players like it here. Jody does it all the time with the No.1 star interview after the game where he'll ask the player "what's it like playing before these great fans?" or something similar. Capt. Nick in his "carpooling with the Capt." series always asks the player if they like it here in Columbus. I don't know what point I'm trying to make, but it just seems like the CBJ, after all of these years, still view themselves as the stepchild to Ohio State and the Panarin situation certainly isn't helping.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Congratulations, Very well done. Talk is cheap is all I can say. One thing about your comment and I see this all the time with the CBJ and that's a constant need to be reassured players like it here. Jody does it all the time with the No.1 star interview after the game where he'll ask the player "what's it like playing before these great fans?" or something similar. Capt. Nick in his "carpooling with the Capt." series always asks the player if they like it here in Columbus. I don't know what point I'm trying to make, but it just seems like the CBJ, after all of these years, still view themselves as the stepchild to Ohio State and the Panarin situation certainly isn't helping.

You’re on point here. There is definitely an inferiority complex with the CBJ, and it’s kind of only the CBJ. Certainly doesn’t exist for the Buckeyes, Browns, Bengals. Maybe the Cavs now, but yeah. CBJ inferiority complex runs high.

Talk is cheap, yes, but that’s all the CBJ and panarin we’re allowed to do last year. And he gave no implication that he wanted to test UFA.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Most likely. What are you subtracting to get Brassard? Pretty sure pens aren’t going to take prospects and draft picks or just send him to a rival for nothing. They’ll want a roster player. So....you want to send a division rival Panarin for Brass and picks? Seems bad idea. Or thinking of sending pens someone else?

Also, Stone and Brass are UFAs July 1st. I don’t get why people are for trading panarin because he’s a UFA and might “walk” for nothing but OK trading for other UFAs who can do the same thing.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Most likely. What are you subtracting to get Brassard? Pretty sure pens aren’t going to take prospects and draft picks or just send him to a rival for nothing. They’ll want a roster player. So....you want to send a division rival Panarin for Brass and picks? Seems bad idea. Or thinking of sending pens someone else?

Also, Stone and Brass are UFAs July 1st. I don’t get why people are for trading panarin because he’s a UFA and might “walk” for nothing but OK trading for other UFAs who can do the same thing.
It would make no sense to train for Stone or Brassard. I mean look what Ottawa got for Karlsson and that trade didn't really help the team they are tanking big time? They have to get players or picks. I could see them possibly pulling a 3 way deal to get more movenemt and pieces involved. Your right Stone and Brassard really do not make sense unfortunately

Jun 15, 2007

Brassard is on Florida and he's probably available.

Considering Florida only traded for Brassard to clear cap space for next year to maybe take a run at Panarin and Bobrovsky as a combo deal, maybe dealing with Florida makes no sense though.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Brassard doesn't play for Pittsburgh anymore.

Bobrovsky to Florida for Brassard and (prospect/picks). Panarin to the highest bidder (prospects/picks)

Prospects/picks for Stone. A lot of people are high on Quick and it sounds like he could be available. We have the assets to buy low.

Ice this lineup:

Stone-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Brassard-Anderson
Wennberg-Jenner-Bjorkstrand
Hannikainen-Nash/Dubinsky-Sedlak

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Nutti-Harrington

Quick
Korpisalo

Honestly, still looks like a playoff team to me.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ice this lineup:

Stone-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Brassard-Anderson
Wennberg-Jenner-Bjorkstrand
Hannikainen-Nash/Dubinsky-Sedlak

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Nutti-Harrington

Quick
Korpisalo

Honestly, still looks like a playoff team to me.

A playoff bubble team to me. Whoever is on the team needs to step it up or we'll be rooting for the lottery to make history by having the 15th finisher win it.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
A playoff bubble team to me. Whoever is on the team needs to step it up or we'll be rooting for the lottery to make history by having the 15th finisher win it.

Team needs to win ~18 of its last 29 to get in. You don't think better goaltending, less distractions and a more balanced lineup can do that?

What would you recommend doing differently?

Reactions: Toe Pick and cslebn

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Yep. Sounds like something CBJ would do. Half-ass selling at trade deadline. Get rid of high end talent and trade for a couple depth guys while in playoff position to convince naive casual fans they’re trying and got a chance.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Yep. Sounds like something CBJ would do. Half-ass selling at trade deadline. Get rid of high end talent and trade for a couple depth guys while in playoff position to convince naive casual fans they’re trying and got a chance.

I'm still looking for an answer to what anyone else would do in this situation.

Do we really think that holding onto Panarin and Bobrovsky makes us a Cup contender? Look at our record against the top teams in our conference, and please tell me how you would go about it as an arm-chair GM?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Do we really think that holding onto Panarin and Bobrovsky makes us a Cup contender? Look at our record against the top teams in our conference, and please tell me how you would go about it as an arm-chair GM?

I think bob is becoming a distraction and needs to go...bread is a good soldier and i wouldn't be upset keep or sell...just be buyers too

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Go after Duchene and keep panarin. Hold Bob if no reasonable offers and alternative goalies to fill void. I think that puts CBJ on par with other Metro leaders. Worry about Tampa OR Leafs (Only have to play one unless CBJ limp to WC2) in conference finals. Stuff happens. Stamkos has gone down in past, Mathews has been out this year, injures and other things happen. Running away from playoffs scared because we want to hold on to an unknown 18 year old kid picked late in the first round who won’t be on the ice for 3 years (if ever) is dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Go after Duchene and keep panarin. Hold Bob if no reasonable offers and alternative goalies to fill void. I think that puts CBJ on par with other Metro leaders. Worry about Tampa OR Leafs (Only have to play one unless CBJ limp to WC2) in conference finals. Stuff happens. Stamkos has gone down in past, Mathews has been out this year, injures and other things happen. Running away from playoffs scared because we want to hold on to an unknown 18 year old kid picked late in the first round who won’t be on the ice for 3 years (if ever) is dumb.

I'm all for going for it, but unlike the Isles last year, we can't hang our laurels on a Mathew Barzal. Panarin is our only star, losing him for nothing is going to hurt.

So holding onto him and hoping other teams suffer through injuries, seems like a stretch decision for me. This team's best years are still ahead if it... a Cup run this year would be nice, but is extremely unlikely. Even if we hang onto these guys.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I'm all for going for it, but unlike the Isles last year, we can't hang our laurels on a Mathew Barzal. Panarin is our only star, losing him for nothing is going to hurt.

So holding onto him and hoping other teams suffer through injuries, seems like a stretch decision for me. This team's best years are still ahead if it... a Cup run this year would be nice, but is extremely unlikely. Even if we hang onto these guys.

My question for you. Looking over past CBJ drafts. What player(s) have CBJ drafted in Late 1st Round (let’s say 16th overall to 31st overall) that are so valuable that you would rather have traded Panarin in that draft year to draft that prospect than have kept Panarin for playoffs?

2018: Liam Foudy (18th overall)
2015: Gabriel Carlsson (29th)
2014: Sonny Milano (16th)
2013: Kerby Rychel (19th)
2013: Marko Dano (27th)
2012: Oscar Dansk (31st overall)
2009: John Moore (21st)

I don’t get the coveting of these type players over holding Panarin and giving best shot for guys like Dubois, Werenski, Jones, Cam, Wennberg, Boone, Josh, Nuti, etc. to experience some wins in the playoffs.

Wouldn’t you trade any of these guys straight up for Duchene or Panarin even as a rental?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad