OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Pretty sure UK just went the other way, which means everyone will either get blitzed before the game in the parking lots or smuggle it in...
Yeah, that was the way we did it. Smuggled in many a pint to Neyland over my 4.33 years in Knoxville. I was never underage because legal age was 18 back then, but it was banned on campus -- except for the frat houses, I think. It's been a long time but my memory is that New Frat Row was outside the original boundaries or something so they could legally have booze.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
When I was at the University of Cincinnati, they used to play at least some of their home football games at 10 AM on Saturday to avoid conflict with Ohio State football games on TV. I was a Freshman sitting in the 4th row near the 30 yard line for a game in early November with 2 or 3 of the guys from my dorm floor. Three frat guys from Sigma Chi came in during the middle of the first quarter and sat behind us (there were a lot of empty seats in Nippert Stadium that morning as it was cold enough to snow and the home team wasn't that good). They had been drinking before they came to the game. (Maybe that is why they were late?) I turned around to look at the crowd during a time out and one of them had a glass flask-like bottle out with what looked like whiskey to me. The middle guy drank about a quarter of the bottle after the other two each had a sip. Just before half time, they decided to leave. When they stood up, the two outer guys let go off the middle guy's arms and he fell on me and injured himself. (I later found some blood on my glove that wasn't there before the game). They picked him up and apologized for him landing on me. They walked down some of the concrete steps and again let go of his arms at the same time. He went head first the rest of the way (what we call a face plant, but that term didn't exist back then) and landed with a loud thud. He didn't get up for a minute or so. When he did, he had a bloody nose. I wondered if it was broken because it looked like a faucet with blood dripping out.

It was a good lesson for me. Don't drink like an idiot on a Saturday morning and don't depend on your friends helping you out if you had too much. I also never sat there again. I moved higher up and closer to the end zone for future games. (It was also closer to my dorm) About 2 years later, I was at a similar UC football game when some snow flakes came down. They were selling beer in the stadium during my Junior year. I had to stand in a line of about 20 people to buy one near the top of the stadium, which was near ground level because the stadium is built into a little valley on campus.

I think that selling alcohol in the stadium and controlling it is a better idea than having people smuggle alcohol in, but the NCAA may have different ideas. I used to go to a lot of UC basketball games at Riverfront Coliseum. No beer was sold, but we had a good time in the student end. The basketball team was #5 in the US the year before I got to campus. They were pretty good during most of my four years, but each season they went lower in the rankings.

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
When I was at UT, the football team was...terrible. Just terrible. We had a few surprise wins but for the most part the WL record was dismal, despite the game experience being fun and one of the best things about UT. To this end, I enjoyed some alcohol with my soft drinks (you need that at 2nd and 48) but I usually had most of the pint to smuggle out of the stadium unless I was sitting with borrowers.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
NE v Titans game blackedout on my satellite. And TV is turned off

We haven't had the local channel on ATT/DirecTV in Nashville since July 4th due to an ongoing negotiation dispute. The worst part is that it's a free OTA channel, but my house (like many in Mid-TN) can't get it on antenna due to hills. At least it's just preseason games and the regular season is on a channel that we still get.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
We haven't had the local channel on ATT/DirecTV in Nashville since July 4th due to an ongoing negotiation dispute. The worst part is that it's a free OTA channel, but my house (like many in Mid-TN) can't get it on antenna due to hills. At least it's just preseason games and the regular season is on a channel that we still get.

I live in NY state so it's a regional blackout issue

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
How hard is it to consistently win in the NFL?

I just saw a stat, that vs Teams with a winning record, the top QB's in the league since 2015...

1. Tom Brady: 18-7 - .720
2. Ben Roethlistberger: 13-11 - .542
3. Marcus Mariota: 12-11 - .522

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
To me the issue with the Titans isn't necessarily against the top teams, you look at about any league out there and most of the time you are winning at probably a 60% clip against them. The problem for them is losing to the teams they should beat imo.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Reactions: Gnashville

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
They're pretty bad, much worse than AAF and probably worse than XFL1. Not just the logos but the names as well, it's like randomly generated Madden franchises.

If I picked a team based on logo it would be New York, but after getting so invested in AAF i'm not sure i'll be as eager to jump into XFL, but you never know until week 1 rolls around...
That Houston Roughnecks logo looks very familiar. Love ya Blue.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Colts now will Tank the season or next for either Tua or Lawrence. I wish the league would put a draft lottery in to stop them.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
And just wait and see how bad this O-line without Lewan for 4 games is going to be for Mariota or Tannehill. Maybe the Titans should bring back the wishbone or something
They’ve basically been without Lewan since he got here. Lot’s of talk; only fair talent. We’ve got to learn that just because we recognize player names doesn’t mean they’re good, only that they’ve been here awhile. Seems like Titans have poor owners, poor GM, poor coach, poor drafts resulting in poor players and poor performance. Tonight they had no spirit but Pittsburg did. Preseason I know but it was for Pittsburg, too.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Colts now will Tank the season or next for either Tua or Lawrence. I wish the league would put a draft lottery in to stop them.

I just don't see it happening as they're way too good this year. It's not quite the same as when they sucked for Luck behind the power of Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Colts should still muster 6-7 wins with Brisett. Probably the same neighborhood as the Titans to be honest. Their offensive line is better than ours, especially on the interior. We just signed Saffold who either mailed in the preseason or fell off a cliff in 1 off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia