OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So add the Kentucky Derby to the NCAA final and the NFC championship on the list of major sporting officiating debacles

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So add the Kentucky Derby to the NCAA final and the NFC championship on the list of major sporting officiating debacles
Nope that was the right call. When Maximum Security veered off I told my wife he was going to get DQ'd. In horse racing you can not do that and impede another horse. They got very lucky that both of those horses didn't go down, and with the track conditions and speed these animals run, they could have been putting both horses down.

Part of being a jockey at that level is keeping your horse in your lane, I can tell you that guy got one hell of an ass chewing afterwards.

My father in law owns race horses, I've seen the behind the scenes on that deal.

Reactions: adsfan and PredsV82

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I'm not saying it wasnt the right call (I think it was, although I wouldnt have been upset had they let it stand), but rather just another big sporting event that came down to a controversial call rather than the actual action.

If you watched them interview the jockey immediately afterward while still on the horse, you could tell he knew he was in trouble. He wasnt smiling or jubilant like the winning jockeys usually are... will be interesting to see if he is allowed to ride the horse in the Preakness or if he gets replaced

And yes it's a miracle that multiple horses werent euthanized yesterday

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I know, based on who it's coming from and how much the KY Derby means to some people locally, but the side of horse racing that most people don't think about...

Horse racing’s uncomfortable truth: Horses die — 87 last year alone in Pa. - pennlive.com

This article is mostly just about Pennsylvania, but nationwide over 20 horses die every week in races, plus countless others are put down due to injury during training. It's illegal to slaughter horses in the US, but they are exported especially to places like Canada, Mexico and South Korea.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
My problem with this controversy is that it's now all over everything. Even the President felt the need to share his opinion on it this morning (like he does with everything).

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It's illegal to slaughter horses in the US, but they are exported especially to places like Canada, Mexico and South Korea.

Interesting how cultures can vary so wildly when it comes to stuff like this. Raw horse meat is a delicacy in Japan.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Interesting how cultures can vary so wildly when it comes to stuff like this. Raw horse meat is a delicacy in Japan.

I saw a documentary from Vietnam, where it's perfectly acceptable to eat dogs. Most of it was about gangs that kidnap dogs to sell for slaughter and how local vigilante groups were opposing them. But one of the more interesting scenes was about how many families there take their aging pet dogs to be slaughtered and processed into various cuts of meat. They actually do it as a way to honor their pet and give them one last useful task in life, and that by consuming the pet they believe it will be part of them forever.

Reactions: LCPreds

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not saying it wasnt the right call (I think it was, although I wouldnt have been upset had they let it stand), but rather just another big sporting event that came down to a controversial call rather than the actual action.

If you watched them interview the jockey immediately afterward while still on the horse, you could tell he knew he was in trouble. He wasnt smiling or jubilant like the winning jockeys usually are... will be interesting to see if he is allowed to ride the horse in the Preakness or if he gets replaced

And yes it's a miracle that multiple horses werent euthanized yesterday
Its really not that big of a controversy in the racing world, it's those outside the industry that thinks its something big. Pretty much everyone that knows anything about horse racing was like me and called it as soon as they saw it.

It makes for good media coverage but anyone in the industry knows it was the right call and isn't bothered by it.

Reactions: LCPreds

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Its really not that big of a controversy in the racing world, it's those outside the industry that thinks its something big. Pretty much everyone that knows anything about horse racing was like me and called it as soon as they saw it.

It makes for good media coverage but anyone in the industry knows it was the right call and isn't bothered by it.

Agree, if this had been some random race not the Derby it's a no brainer and zero controversy

You think they replace Saez for the Preakness?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

the horse racing industry might include what 2% of the population? so yeah i would say 98% would think it's a big deal, even if it was the right call.

it still sucks for a call or officiating to be the talking point.

look at the NBA. they whine after every game. hell, our GDTs are a consistent bitch fest about referees (something that i find embarrassing and will only say something about truly egregious calls no matter how negative i am).. the whole point is it's just bad for sports imo.

the right call but unfortunate...

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Agree, if this had been some random race not the Derby it's a no brainer and zero controversy

You think they replace Saez for the Preakness?
That's a tough call. Yeah he screwed up, but other than that one mistake he ran a good race. Horse racing is so screwy when it comes to jockeys that unless they have someone else on his level then he may keep his ride.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
the horse racing industry might include what 2% of the population? so yeah i would say 98% would think it's a big deal, even if it was the right call.

it still sucks for a call or officiating to be the talking point.

look at the NBA. they whine after every game. hell, our GDTs are a consistent ***** fest about referees (something that i find embarrassing and will only say something about truly egregious calls no matter how negative i am).. the whole point is it's just bad for sports imo.

the right call but unfortunate...
It's just white noise though. The money isn't in 98% of the population when it comes to Horse Racing like it might be from other sports.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
How many people were on their hands and knees scrambling to try and recover the 65-1 tickets they just ripped up?

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
How many people were on their hands and knees scrambling to try and recover the 65-1 tickets they just ripped up?

Should have been nobody since the inquiry sign went up right away. Plus there couldnt have been that many or he wouldnt have been 65-1

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Should have been nobody since the inquiry sign went up right away. Plus there couldnt have been that many or he wouldnt have been 65-1
I know someone that picked Country House. :eyeroll: He has to be the luckiest SOB, I swear. He makes improbable bets and wins them almost every damn time. Like my dad said, this guy could fall into a barrel of horse shit and come out looking as fresh as a daisy and smelling like a rose.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I know someone that picked Country House. :eyeroll: He has to be the luckiest SOB, I swear. He makes improbable bets and wins them almost every damn time. Like my dad said, this guy could fall into a barrel of horse **** and come out looking as fresh as a daisy and smelling like a rose.
I know several people like that. We had a friend that only played slot machines, she would walk around for hours and then hit one for 10k dang near every time.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
My wife is like that. We were waiting on a shuttle in LV, I had 2 quarters so I gave her one and I used one. We both pulled, she hit it for 3 more quarters, I got squat, she played that credit into $300, while we waited. She hit back to back 23 in Roulette because she forgot to take the chips off after the payout and 25 years ago, she walked into a bar and met me.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
My wife is like that. We were waiting on a shuttle in LV, I had 2 quarters so I gave her one and I used one. We both pulled, she hit it for 3 more quarters, I got squat, she played that credit into $300, while we waited. She hit back to back 23 in Roulette because she forgot to take the chips off after the payout and 25 years ago, she walked into a bar and met me.

So the first part of your story is the universe paying her back for the bad luck years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->